1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikipedia War: Rockets hero dishonored

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

maxwell might be the greatest clutch player in rockets' history...up until this point anyways....i think tmac will surpass him, but not for a while

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Kiss it

[​IMG]

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Sure it is. He did things, or rather DIDN'T do things, that could have cost us a championship. He decided that being a whiny little b!tch was more important than doing the job he was paid millions upon millions of dollars to do.

I give Max plenty of credit for the first championship. Without him, we would never have beaten New York and I still get chills when I just think about him running down the court pumping his fist after the three (you know the one). I loved him for that moment and always will.

Severe case of hyperbole. Dream was the "Employee of the Year" whereas Max was an important part. If I were replaced in the starting lineup with someone who would give my team a better chance to win, I would man up and accept the role that the team needed me to play. Max was not man enough to do that, so he sat by his pool while the TRUE professionals won a second ring.

Who said you had to be liked to be able to win? Rumor has it that Wilt Chamberlain was a total pr!ck, but if I were offered a chance to play on his team, I would man up and act like a professional.

I loved Vernon. I thought he was a hero in that series against New York. He was a true Rocket until he decided to be a whiny little b!tch because he couldn't man up and act like the professional I thought he was.

Agreed. Otis was sorely missed in a number of ways, most especially by me. 33 was my favorite Rocket, I loved seeing him hang one-handed from the basket after a dunk. However, if you have a chance to add a guy like Clyde drexler to the lineup, especially if you think it gives you a better chance to win, you do it. Mario, Kenny, Sam, and Robert were all able to get over their personal feelings and act like the professionals they were. Maxwell chose another route to his and to the team's detriment.

Mad Max deserves one and only one ring. He was instrumental in getting that ring, but he was a whiny little b!tch during the second run.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

d*mn andymoon, now I have to read all of tinman's posts. ;)

People loved Max because he helped the Rockets win, then they despised him for quitting. His last action as a Rocket was to quit on his team because his ego was more important to him. It taints all of his previous work for the team because it makes it look like he was just out there for himself all along.

Should people reward that trait? I don't think so, but everyone has their own opinion and if anyone wants to hero-worship a self-centered egotist they have every right to. Although they shouldn't expect others to.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

VERNON GOT A SECOND RING BUDDY!

6. tinman

Supporting Member

dream didnt win a championship with sleepy floyd or scottie pippen or buck johnson.

Dream wasn't CLUTCH CITY. he was MVP CITY. Max, Sam, Robert, Kenny, Mario were Clutch City.

Dont you remember the year before we got Horry? We stunk. Kinda like Yao with no shooters or Tmac.

#66 tinman, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Scottie Pippen QUIT. Hence the nick SCOTTIE QUITTEN

Vernon left the team cause he was MAD hence the nick MAD MAX.

Why are people always confusing selfishness with supreme confidence?!

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Max didn't like Clyde replacing him. Plus he though Clyde's Bar B Q was overrated and also Max saw in the future that Clyde was going to replace Calvin Murphy also. So he was pretty mad about it. Can you blame him?

9. GladiatoRowdy

He got one, but he didn't earn it. The true professionals earned it while he sat on his azz being a whiny little b!tch.

10. GladiatoRowdy

Vernon may very well have had "supreme confidence," but he quit when it counted the most, in the playoffs.

His motivation has very little to do with it, the fact remains that he quit on his team and chose to sit on his azz rather than man up and be the professional that he was paid millions to be.

Vernon's choice to quit was every bit as selfish as Pippen's, but in my mind, Pippen's was a bit easier to take since he did it in the offseason, not right before the playoffs. Max was ultimately selfish and tried to cost his team a championship run, never thinking for a minute that the team could be just as good or better than when he was the starter. He was wrong, we were a better team after the Drexler trade, and the true professionals were able to man up and do it without him.

11. GladiatoRowdy

I can and I do. Max did not have to like it, his responsibility was to do the job he was paid millions for. Instead, he took the selfish route and quit on his team, quit on his teammates, and quit on the fans.

Max deserves all of the blame for the fiasco and none of the credit for the second championship. If I were a criminal, I would break into his house, steal the second ring he got for sitting on his azz, and melt it down to make a belt buckle that reads "QUITTER." THAT is what he deserves for 94-95.

12. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, ALL of them made up Clutch City. However, your analogy was that the "Employee of the Year" was replaced by another person. Max was a BIG part of that team, but was not by any stretch of the imagination the "Employee of the Year."

13. tinman

Supporting Member

he earned it. he played for the Rockets and earned every bit of it. he played 6 seasons for the Houston Rockets.

Clyde Drexler played for 13 seasons for the Blazers.

Vernon doesn't whine.

Vernon is the PROFESSIONAL...
    PROFESSIONAL CHAMPION

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem was the Manager and Maxwell made the customers happy with his great service.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell deserves his number retired.
    None of these guys: Sam, Mario, Kenny, Robert would be "CLUTCH" without learning from the master. the man who does turnaround 35 footers vs Miami.
    The player who actually BEATS SAN ANTONIO.

After Maxwell left the Rockets, he mentored Allen Iverson of the Sixers. Now Iverson is an MVP.

thank you Maxwell.

Andymoon= The guy who was angry that Tupac left Digital Underground to go Solo.

16. GladiatoRowdy

He earned the first. Then, at the end of his sixth year with the Rox, he quit before the playoffs. He sat on his azz while the professionals earned him his second ring.

And several for the Rox, including one magical playoff run in which he took over for a petulant child and helped Hakeem lead the players who chose not to quit to a championship.

[whine]But I don't wanna play behind Drexler.[/whine]

In 93-94, he was a professional champion. In '95, he acted like a spoiled brat and quit on his team. Ask the players from that run, I would guess to a man that none of them respect Vernon for what he did in '95.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Risin' up, back on the street
    Did my time, took my chances
    Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
    Just a man and his will to survive
    So many times, it happens too fast
    You change your passion for glory
    Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
    You must fight just to keep them alive
    Chorus:
    It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
    Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
    And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
    And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger
    Face to face, out in the heat
    Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
    They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
    For we kill with the skill to survive
    chorus
    Risin' up, straight to the top
    Have the guts, got the glory
    Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
    Just a man and his will to survive
    chorus
    The eye of the tiger (repeats out)...

18. GladiatoRowdy

No, Rudy was the Manager, Hakeem was Employee of the Year (MVP of both the NBA and the Finals), and Vernon was one of the cogs that made the operation run so smoothly.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem didn't want to play behind Kelvin Kato and Steve Francis.

I dont go hatin on the Dream!

20. GladiatoRowdy

Maxwell deserves everything he now has with the exception of one ring. He deserved to be arrested several times, he deserves to be out of the league, and he deserves the derision that most of his ex-fans pour on him.

Hyperbole much?

The only one with a more inflated view of Max than Max is you.

I will join you wholeheartedly in thanking Maxwell for the championship run in 93-94. He was clutch, he was a pit bull, he was the (other) man (to Hakeem). We would not have been able to win that championship without him and I still to this day love him for that run.

No, I don't really give an Earthly crap about Tupac, but I do have the ability to see reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.