1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikipedia War: Rockets hero dishonored

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

I don't think I can be as eloquent as tinman, but I have nothing but fond memories of Vernon Maxwell.

Not only do I remember him shutting down most players he faced including Michael Jordan, but I remember him getting in Jordan's face, pushing him, and refusing to back down.

Maxwell's fighting spirit would've actually made him the ideal leader of a revolution against an authoritarian regime.

Similar to Ayatollah Khomeini, Maxwell's revolution would've been successful, but, at the same time, he would've been misunderstood by many, demonized by a few, and adored by millions.

In the end, however, similar to Khomeini, Maxwell was victorious despite attempts to discredit him, tarnish his legacy, and ruin his name.

Both men were champions and are still held in high esteem.

Maxwell just seemed to have a penchant for hitting game-winning shots.

If he was notorious for anything it was his uncanny ability to nail buzzer-beater after buzzer-beater.

Here's a couple samples of the 30 some-odd game winning shots he hit over his career:

Dec. 29, 1994
    Trailing the Golden State Warriors 124-123 with three seconds remaining, the Rockets need a miracle. Their prayers are answered by Vernon Maxwell. The Rockets guard is the beneficiary of a botched play when he finds his hands on the ball with the seconds winding down. Falling out of bounds, Maxwell turns and throws in an improbable three-pointer at the buzzer, leading to a wild Compaq Center celebration.

Jan. 13, 1995
    Mad Max does it again. Vernon Maxwell, who has made a history of nailing improbable, game-winning, buzzer-beating shots, swishes a 28-foot three-pointer with 0.4 seconds remaining to give the Rockets a 103-100 win over the San Antonio Spurs. With the game tied and 3.4 seconds on the clock, Maxwell catches the inbounds pass near midcourt, takes a couple of dribbles and launches the game-winner, sending an exuberant Compaq Center crowd into a celebratory frenzy.

[​IMG]

2. ctseng0

ctseng0 Contributing Member

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Are you sure about that?

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

In the end what Max did to the rest of our team was worse than anything pippen had done, yet no one defends pippen around here.

It's really simple. Max left the rest of the team dangling in the wind. He cared more about his inflated ego than the team. If one cared about ALL of our other players on the court who were trying to win a second championship, he would have been pi**ed-off at Max for abandoning them.

I find it curious how one can try to ignore what really happened.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

WHen I saw that this thread was up to 6 pages....I knew that 3 of them would be tinmans insane ramblings.

while your love for old Rockets is commendable, your infatuation with a psycho quitter has officially gone over the top.

and has andymoon set a new record for using the phrase "man up" way too many times in one thread? :p

6. Cohen

Comparing Max to the ayatollah?

I wouldn't know where to start...

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I wouldn't have used that phrase so much if Vernon had acted like a man in '95 instead of a whiny little b!tch.

Good of you to man up and call me on it.

;)

#107 GladiatoRowdy, Apr 5, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that has me a bit at sea. Creepy needs to watch out with the political references in GARM (or anywhere else but D&D, really). It may be completely in fun, and innocent in intention, but there is always someone offended, especially now that we have a bazillion members.

9. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

you have a good point.. but you have to remember that he won a championship for the rockets.. he had HAKEEM of caurse but I dont think we could've won it without him... that's why you cant compare him to Scottie.. Scottie just came here and didn't do anything... :rolleyes:

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Max is not a quitter. He's a hero.
    This thread will be 1 million pages if it has to. As long as the legacy of Vernon Maxwell is challenged, I will defend him.

Maxwell is not perfect, he emboddies the city of Houston.
    Houston is not a perfect city, we have nice places and we have not so nice places, but we have heart and fire and desire.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Its well documented that he didnt like Clyde Drexler. You can throw stones at Vernon for having pride. You want Vernon to be some Mr Rogers guy but he's not. Do you have so much pride that it blinds you?

I find it curious to see how some people have so much hatred in their hearts knowing that human beings have emotional problems.

hey, no one on the Rockets team hated Max. Kenny, Sam, Mario still say great things about him. Its only people filled with misguided anger like you who hate him.

you must hate Ron Artest too.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell sacrificed himself so that the team could go win without him in the 2nd championship. The first championship he helped the Rockets win with miraculous performances.

Maxwell=JESUS

Cohen=JUDAS

13. tinman

Supporting Member

you are right, he didnt act like a man. he acted like SUPERMAN.

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

here's an idea. lets go into the crowd and punch a fan.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Vernon needs to sue
    Ron Artest
    Jermaine ONeal
    Stephen Jackson
    Ben Wallace

for patent infringement.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All we have to say is that Max left when the chips were down in '95, list the teams he played with, and mentiont that he continued to have run-in's with the law.

That is specific as it needs to be.

17. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

yes, the name of the stadium had already been changed when they did the history and here's my source:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/This_Date_In_Compaq_Center_His-57797-34.html

I didn't compare the two, I said they and their situations had similar characterisitcs albeit on two totally different levels.

It just shows how great Maxwell was that he has attributes you could find in revolutionary leaders

I would kill to have somebody with his revolutionary spirit and fight, both literally and figuratively, on the current team

plus this thread needs to be kept alive

great work tinman

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Tupac had run-ins with the law too.

Out on Bail
    Fresh Out of Jail
    California dreamin!

19. Cohen

Oh, now that clears it up. :rolleyes:

It actually shows that?

So Max could lead a revolution? :D

Do you understand what you just said?

Good moniker... the creepy part.

Brother? Father?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Cohen,

you have to realize that not heaven or earth
    can stop the power of ROCKETS PRIDE.
    Its exists everywhere in the sky, the plants, the pavement.

Once you have it Cohen, one day you will, it will make you stronger.
    you will be able to accomplish tasks that no one thought you could do.

No one would believe the Rockets would beat Phoenix down 0-2 going to America West Arena. but the power of Rockets Pride engulfed Vernon Maxwell
    and he said NO, I will not lose to you Danny Ainge. No Kevin Johnson!

This thing called ROCKETS PRIDE can move mountains!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.