1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans Front Office This Offseason “Will Be Interesting”

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Along with a head coach... the real question is, will he be a good GM once he finally gets unilateral control.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Meh. I think O'Brien has already proved he's a good head coach. Turned us around from a bad season to winning one (although it wasn't as bad as it seemed). Then, he's transformed us after a horrid start. All of this while using six (SIX!!) quarterbacks in 27 games. Pretty remarkable.

Has he made some bad decisions along the way? Sure. We'll call them growing pains.

I think hell be the best coach in franchise history, which isn't saying a ton. I also think he could be here for 10-15 years, easy.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Benching him halfway through the year isn't evidence he didn't want to sign him.

He wanted Nix and Strong too

4. Mr. Clutch

I'd rather give Gaine unilateral control.

BOB already has final roster say but is trying to rewrite history to oust Rick...which I'm more than fine with ousting Rick

5. Mr. Clutch

Well you can put a lot of the blame for the QB carousel on him. I mean why even bring in Mallet, then compound it by starting him?

As far as best head coach... He'd have to build a team as good as the AFC championship Texans

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

In any event, we need to start hitting on more draft picks. That's going to set us up for failure in the future.

7. Mr. Clutch

I think our drafting has been fine outside of our "trading up"

I hope Gaine has some different ideas about that

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thats irrelevant. Mallett contract is very team friendly.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who's claiming that BOB was totally against it? They were ultimately Rick Smith acquisitions, and BOB gave it a shot... it didn't work out, the team was sucking, so he benched underperforming players regardless of their salaries, and the team has responded.

Sure... if we really know that for sure... and he responded by cutting and benching them too for underperforming.

So, we have a coach who has the ability to not be biased by his decisions... ready to own up for his mistakes... again, you act like its a bad thing that he's trying to "fix" mistakes.

10. Mr. Clutch

He's not owning up.

He's throwing Rick under the bus.

I want Rick gone, so fine

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Rick is like a cockroach, or one of those horror movie villains.

If this is what it takes to get rid of him, so be it.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So what's the problem? Also, as much as you're basing this on some masterminded BOB "leak"... the original article still is based entirely off speculation.

The takeaway I got from this was that BOB has final roster control... and some of those recent decisions seem to be working out (and they happen to be Rick Smith acquisitions that he's benching), thus an article was written.

13. conquistador#11

but it can also work the other way rick acquisitions, yates and hopkins +55% of the defense give texans playoffs life. even though we all know those are kubes and wade's guys. I have no beef with either, just replace the probowl qb that was tragically lost.

14. Mr. Clutch

How are you determining which one's are Rick's when BOB has final roster control?

1 person likes this.
  15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Careful, you've almost dug yourself in as far as BTG on Hoyer.

Your entire anti-BOB stance seems entirely based upon speculation. It certainly has nothing to do with performance on the field.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yup. Traded a 7th for him and he cost nothing. Small gamble lottery ticket play that didn't work out. No real loss.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm saying none of it matters... whether they were Rick's guys or BOB's guys... they're all getting treated the same way by the guy who has the final decision as to who plays on Sunday.

If they can play, they're in... if they don't play well, they're benched or cut.

I still don't know what you're arguing about.

18. Mr. Clutch

The whole idea that these were Rick Smith's decisions.

Bob had final roster control

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why? Bill wanted Mallett cut, and Rick overruled him. That's actually a fact.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Acquiring free agents and handing out contract extensions are well within the parameters of what Ric Smith does.

BOB decides who plays and who doesn't... Largely based on what he sees in practice and then in games. It's highly plausible that Moore and Graham weren't playing as well as they were ecpected to, thus a change was made.

Not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp right now.