1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict Capela's salary in Restricted FA and whether we match!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Dec 3, 2017.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

My prediction is he gets 23 MM starting.

2018/2019 - 23 MM (Our cap without CP3,Luc,Ariza,Brown, Black, will be 80.5 MM/108 MM Luxury)
    2019/2020 - 24 MM
    2020/2021 - 25 MM

If we let go of Ariza, Brown, Black, Luc, and sign CP3 at his current 24.5MM, next year we are going to be at 104 MM (4 MM away from luxury) before we even talk about signing Clint or re-signing our perimeter defenders Ariza and Luc.

This is where we need to start looking at trading Eric Gordon (13.5 MM) and Ryan Anderson (20 MM) for an expiring and a really good rookie/sophomore that can shoot. I'm thinking about the Jazz rookie that Rivers Jr. just said was the 2nd best rookie.

This is where having a cheap owner starts to suck.

2. rockpileindisma

OP we need more capela threads from you, ASAP

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I’ll predict 4y/60 bills, from us.

No one on the market will bid for him, there’s not much blank checks this time coming.

don grahamleone and ilias like this.
  4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

What can I say, it's the thing that makes me more nervous about impending free agency than anything. We have Harden, who clearly can't co-exist with a ball dominant center, and Nene, who clearly can't exist period for more than 3/4 of a season.

rockpileindisma likes this.
  5. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

It looks like this thread may have been to number heavy. Cap space analysis is not sexy.

6. ilias

ilias Member

4/60 would be my limit for the Rockets.

Not a lot of money available in the summer, just 9 teams at last count with max cap space. Not many teams looking for a starting centre either. Plus a few others willing to offload theirs. Capela will have to compete with Cousins, Jordan, Lopez and Nurkic for high offers. The likes of Noel, Reed, Baynes are able to do 80% of what Capela does, and they will be available at a fraction of the cost. Teams know that Capela benefits from Harden and the Rockets system, he is not someone you build around. Still for what he is, he has done very well. In 2-3 years he could become an elite defensive presence. I think $15m is a fair price, but I can also see Morey preferring to go for a star forward (Lebron, PG) and fill the C spot from the bargain bin like the Warriors do. If someone like the Mavs throw Clint a crazy offer, Morey will let him go. Can't see anyone offering more than $17m.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

25mil per after taxes and agent fees.

mario_v likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Teams are getting smarter, just because you have money to spend, doesn't mean you should spend it on just anybody.

If a team that has cap space offers Clint 20 million, they can have him. He's become a really good player, but he's not good enough to consume that much money in a capped league.

fattz and Embrace the clutch like this.
  9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You find Clint Capela, you don't pay Clint Capela. ;)

10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The shitty doo-doo mavs will throw 6 years/200 million at him

jeffvangundy and Jontro like this.
  11. Mister Beard

Mister Beard Member

Yea most likely from the Mavs....4/80.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're going to pay him 5-10% less than the best offer on the market (which is basically the same given tax increase he'd face if he moved) and he will happily accept it. You can tell Clint loves this team, improves all the time and enjoys playing with Harden.

Here's the thing.. if Clint improves AGAIN next summer even just through experience, we won't need a 3rd star anymore. So I'm not worried about paying luxury tax or losing flexibility at that point.

We're not going to wait for Lebron. Too much to risk with a team this good. We will talk to him and see if he's interested in TRYING to get something done quickly. If not, we quickly retain all the players on this team and see if we can catch an excellent vet forward at the minimum or room exception.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

[QUOTthink E="Mirri3000, post: 11460278, member: 49215"]I’ll predict 4y/60 M bills, from us.

No one on the market will bid for him, there’s not much blank checks this time coming.[/QUOTE]

I think that is quite realistic, I do think that Morey will go after Marc Gasol or Cousins at the February deadline, instead of extending Clint.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Didnt the Mavs offer Noel,who hasn't been as productive as Clint, 19 mill per year. 4/60 is low balling and low key disrespectful to Clint. If I'm clint and Morey offers me that I tell him let me think about and never speak to him again.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Man I just don't know , so much of Capela's contributions are a direct result of his chemistry with Harden.
    Bigs always seem to get overpaid .... but there just aren't a whole lot of them that are as athletic as Capela , that can finish that PnR above the rim so consistently. He's a really good fit with Harden .... and CP3.
    What is he without Harden or a really solid PG able to execute the PnR at a high level? Probably not much offensively , just a rotation guy.

I think he's worth $8m per and going to get offers of $12ish. I'd probably match because of his fit and the difficulty of finding a comparable replacement with his skillset and fit with the team / offense and the position of the franchise , close to the top of the league in terms of winning ability. Any of the current players who compare to him are either on rookie deals or making silly money.

16. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

nah we can't afford him after we sign LeBron or PG.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Jazz aren’t trading Donovan Mitchell.

Certainly not for Eric Gordon and/or Ryan Anderson.

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

From ESPN Nov 9: " Without hesitation, Morey said he considers re-signing Capela worth the cost.

"We'll have him here as long as he'll have us," Morey said. "He couldn't price himself out."

Deuce and heypartner like this.
  19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They're not letting Clint walk. They may have to dump some salary to keep him, but he'll be a Rocket beyond this season(barring injury of course).

The player they'll probably lose will be Mbah a Moute which is unfortunate.

heypartner likes this.