1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict Capela's salary in Restricted FA and whether we match!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Assuming the cap wil rise to 102 or something similar i think his max would probably start around 25...but i'm not sure. Maybe @larsv8 can help.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. trugoy

trugoy Member

My point is to bring some reality to this thread, it's not a question of IF Capela gets a max offer, it's going to be HOW MANY max offers he gets, he will get to pick his team. Good thing the Rockets have matching rights, so he will not be going anywhere, but he will get multiple max offers if the Rockets don't sign him immediately.

3. omgTHEpotential

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Capela got anything less than 20M per year.

mario_v likes this.
  4. mario_v

mario_v Member

If Anderson got $15 million/year, then some desperate team will definitely offer Capela $23 million/year.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

25% of cap

Vivi likes this.
  6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

We really ****ed ourselves with andersons contract. He will and has been used as a basis of value lol

7. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Teams don’t understand how much better Harden and now Cp3 make Capela. I’d hate to see Capela wirhout an elite playmaker

Beardaholic13, saleem and hvic like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just trying to give it a quick look now. How many teams may have interest in a center on paper? Just considering those with cap space:

Hawks (Dedmon)
    Lakers (Lopez)
    Knicks (Kanter)
    Bulls (Lopez)
    Clippers (DeAndre)
    Bucks (Henson)
    Nets (Allen)
    Suns (Chandler)
    Mavs
    Kings (Cauley-Stein)

These are the teams, but some of them have already a player in the spot as today. I have to say that i don't see most of those centers be the long term solution for their respective teams...like:

- Dedmon is old for Atlanta, he's free agent and they'll draft in top 10, i think he's gone.

- Everyone knows the Lakers will go after stars, George, Cousins etc...but if they fail to get Cousin, i can see them trying to keep Lopez especially if they can resign him with a decent contract (i don't think he has a big market).

- Kanter is not a good fit with Porzingis, but he can opt in for next season, and if he does the Knicks will have something like 40M in the books between him, Noah and Hernangomez. Capela should be a great fit there though, and there's still a chance they will draft in top 10.

- Lopez should be gone sooner or later cause the Bulls are in full rebuild and he has no reason to play there and the Bulls are basically guaranteed to get a top 10 pick, probably number one since the draft will be in Chicago lol.

- DeAndre seems like he's gone, and if they gut the roster they should be able to sign a max, i just don't think it would make sense for Capela though, for a star yeah, for Clint...meh.

- Bucks seems like they want DeAndre or a center anyway. But there's a chance they end up to pay to much too many guys (Giannis already had his max, Parker, Bledsoe and Middleton should get big money in 18 months), not sure throwing a max to another guy makes sense but who knows.

- Nets are high on Allen, and they have to pay Mozgov 17/18 for two more years, i just don't see them throwing a max to another center even if Capela would fit well there, i think it's better for them to wait and see how Allen does.

- Suns are building around Booker and Jackson, but they have basically the 4 spot occupied with bender, Chirss and Warren, not sure what to think about Ulis and James as their PG but yeah, looks like they need a center most, they will draft in top 10 though.

- Mavs need a defensive center badly and they'll draft in top 10.

- Kings have Cauley-Stein, Papagiannis...not sure how much they consider them though, they're another team who will draft in top 10 btw.

With that said, these are all the centers that will be free agents:

Capela, Nurkic, DeAndre, Favors, Cousins, Lopez, Noel, Okafor, Dedmon, Monroe, maybe Kanter.

Now, considering that 7/8 of those should be starters (minus Monroe and Kanter, maybe Dedmon), and that Capela and Nurkic are the only two restricted between them, i think there's a decent chance Capela won't get a max especially if you consider that at least a couple of those teams should draft a good center and a couple could still end up with keeping their center/s.

Beardaholic13 and ilias like this.
  9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

It may be within the market, but Clint will be overpaid, similarly to Ryan.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually they will. If the rox match then all their cap gets tied up and then they can only offer vet min to Cp3, Ariza and Luc. Thats why this season is so important because we might be looking at a markedly worse team next year esp if Anderson sticks.

s3ts likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We have full bird rights to CP3 and Ariza. Luc is the only one at risk, though regardless of what Capela makes, we will be over the cap. Luc's status is not affected by Capela's salary unless we get hard capped.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

Great observation. Sounds like "will Anderson get traded next year" is a better question to ask, then.

I suppose there are too many factors which have severe impact to predict anything, but it seems Anderson's cap hit is going to dictate many possibilities for us this offseason.

Capela is getting paid next season, and he's not taking less to play for the Rockets.

roslolian likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Having bird rights mean nothing if you dont have cap. Arent the rockets hard capped or almost hard capped now with Capela making the rookie salary and Cp3 on his old deal? Cp3's max salary is higher next year and Capela for sure will get a double digit deal so I cant really see a scenario where we keep all our guys.

saleem likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's awful.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Won't be Cap Salary Heaven doe.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They are only hard capped for the rest of this season and they were only hard capped because they used all their exceptions this season.

We are not hard capped in the off season and it will not prevent us from signing our bird players.

#96 rockbox, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Whatever the max is he will get it

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not how it works.
    They'll be able to keep everyone they have bird rights to, if they want.
    It's just a matter of roster flexibility and Tilman.

Relative to Capela, his restricted FA status is a negative to his trade value, but not hugely negative as it would be as a regular FA. An acquiring team, one would assume, would be interested in acquiring him even if they have to resign at a near max deal.

But as I said, it's hard to envision a deal that makes sense for both teams... because of course the Rockets need value back.

I mean, you end up looking at things like:

Clint + Ariza for Jabari + Maker

Which is only even close to remotely something DM might consider if there were GREAT, EXCEPTIONAL reports on Parkers recovery and he just wanted to roll the dice on a "3rd star" type player. Parker was at 20 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg before getting injured again last year, with upside as a 25 ppg type guy... One would assume the Bucks would just keep him if they had confidence in his return to form. Plus Maker sucks, and the Rockets are f'd at C then, and they're obviously playing so amazing now, DM isn't going to mess that up.

The most likely scenario is Clint is the center on this squad for a long time coming, at a contract that starts at $20+ million per year, imo.

da_juice likes this.
  19. HTM

HTM Member

The center market has absolutely cratered. I don't think he will get as lucrative of offers as some here do. Especially for a guy who is worthless offensively outside of 5 feet.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup unless you're a Embiid/KAT type, teams are not as likely to overpay anymore as we've become used to in years past. Especially for limited pnr bigs. Are these bigs still valuable? of course and theyll still paid a good amount of $ but not to the level of actual max money. The small ball era has proven you can win without a dominant big that needs the ball in their hands. If you happen to be a FA at the right time of the cap rise, then they got lucky. Teams are geared towards overpaying for guards or wings especially ones that are versatile.

HTM likes this.