1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict Capela's salary in Restricted FA and whether we match!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Dec 3, 2017.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

As long as Clint keeps improving defensively the cost really won't matter. He fits perfectly into our system and Harden/Paul will make him look great on the other end.

PG13 and Lebron aren't coming here. Even though I'd love either of them here.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Strange to hear him say this type of stuff...
    But he's also subtly saying, I guess, that they'll just wait to match.
    It's up to him to figure out his market.

That said, have to remember DM is a risk taker.

Clint is our "asset" now. Moving him would basically be the only way to upgrade.
    Not that I think DM is apt to move him, just pointing out if the idea is to upgrade, either by trade or FA signing, Clint is the only real trade asset, and the salary cap space doesn't really exist this offseason.

I'm not for trading him even for the likes of a Cousins. But if Pelicans want him for AD (they decide to move on because he is oft-injured, hasn't taken them to playoffs, and don't like offers that include Celtics young assets and draft picks, LOL, than sure!!!).

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont think not paying the lux tax means having a cheap owner. You seem pretty knowledgeable about the cap so you should know what the repeater tax is. Is paying Capela the equivalent of 60M a year supposed to be reasonable? The reality is it is Ryan Anderson's contract that is costing too much, the rest of the team is playing at or above their salary.

He is the biggest anchor weighing down the rox and Morey should be working on trades to get rid of his salary if the Rox are to remain competitive.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Can't really trade Clint cuz the Rox are capped out. Even if you want to trade him for a Davis or Cousins the other team would have to absorb Anderson's contract to make it possible. And I dunno what Anderson's value is now but last year no team in the league wanted to touch his deal. Since he is playing better now maybe Morey can work his magic.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cuban gonna give him the max like he Parsosn?

Pen15clubber and BigShasta like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

$18-20M

7. ilias

ilias Member

There was a rumour about a $17.5m offer to Noel, but the Mavs denied they ever made one. Noel will struggle to get $10m in the summer. At the end it's about the market, supply and demand. Nearly all teams have (or are paying for) a starting centre. More players than available spots. Out of the few teams with a need at C, only the Mavs will have a lot of cap space, and perhaps the Hawks (still have Dedmon for another year), and Lakers (if they decide not to bring back Lopez and strike out on a star max player). All other teams are either paying someone starting C salary or have limited cap space. In that dynamic you also need to consider Cs that will come to the market: a) star Cs possibly made available in trade deadline (eg Gasol), b) high salary Cs that teams are trying to offload, eg Valanciunas, Mahinmi, Biyombo etc. If I were the Mavs, I would trade for Biyombo ($17m) in exchange for picks and bottom out in the next 2 years, rather than pay Capela the same amount.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

it was confirmed by woj and even his agent that noel turned down the 4/70 offer made by dallas on july 1st. CC is definitely getting more than 4/60

#28 YOLO, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    mac_got_this likes this.
  9. seeingred

seeingred Member

We have the 2nd best record in the NBA and 1st in the West. We haven't been such obvious contenders for a championship since... the championships. The rules for middling teams no longer apply to us. Rule 1: you never lose an asset for nothing, goes out the window. One more season of Capela is > promising rookie + draft picks because Capela can help us win it all *this year*. Like the Verlander trade with the Astros, we are all in on this year, so no - we aren't trading Anderson or Gordon or Capela unless we tumble down the standings or Isiah Thomas gets another GM job.

As for Capela's salary - aren't RFA offers usually 3 years? I'd guess 3 years/$20 mil because his advanced stats are through the roof. I think we match and this will be different from the Chandler Parsons case. If Chandler had waited a few days to let the Rockets chase the big name FA's, they could've gone over the cap to re-sign him. In this case, we already have a co-star for Harden so i doubt we'll be chasing any big names. I think you're a year early in your Ryno + EG trade. We go over the cap for Capela and look to trade Ryno and EG NEXT year to skate back under. Also depends how much of a haircut CP3 is willing to take to win.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I would say 12-14 milly for clint. His defense and blocks have been improving. His offense is solely dependent on our PG's and the PNR. I doubt he would do as good on any other team offensively, so IMO this is the best team for him and he'll take a little pay cut to play with everybody on the team.

PatBev and hakeem94 like this.
  11. JayZ750

Sure, of course there'd have to be more to such a deal. I was just pointing out that Clint is a valuable trade chip right now.

Perhaps not supremely valuable since he is an upcoming RFA.

Not that it matters much. It's hard to imagine a trade that makes sense for either team.

12. JayZ750

I agree with your end point... but it should be noted, during the championship years the Rockets made a pretty comparable trade moving Robert Horry for Sean Elliot deal that was of course rescinded - but trade still made. During their second year they made an even bigger deal, albeit it was role player for clearly better player.

How does Capela compare to Robert Horry or Otis Thorpe from the championship years I wonder. Statistically... better, that's for sure. Plus he's pretty vital to the offense. And defense. And rebounding.

13. seeingred

seeingred Member

Yeah, there is precedent. As you say, the Drexler trade is obvious - the team was struggling, Drexler still had game and wanted to come home, etc. If we start to crater when we hit the back to backs against better teams, i think Morey starts to look around. Clearly, there's no one on this roster that can do what CC does, so we'd have to get an above average Center back (which limits our options). Horry was more of a role player when he was traded (though he later became much more) so he doesn't really fit the Capela comparison, IMO. In an interview, he spoke about the few days he was in Detroit waiting on Elliot's physical - deciding then and there to be more aggressive, assertive.

14. JayZ750

Yep.
    It's easy to forget Sean Elliot was a really good SF, too.
    As you say, if you move Capela, you have no center. It'd be the type of thing where, had the Cavs continued to struggle, you might have potentially envisioned something like Capela/Anderson for TT/Love...

Anyway, again the point was just relative to DM being a risk taker.

Outside of a Lou Williams type pick-up.... which aside from it not being the best "fit" - Lou was streaky, needs the ball in his hands, limited EG off the bench somewhat - was a great add and would be a great add again.... not sure roster wise where DM goes from here, either to shore up this year or looking forward to next year.

seeingred likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I imagine Cuban will put in another troll bid.

Success has made moorey's head bigger and Mark feels most irritated by it

Mark Cuban - Killer Whale

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

$175 dollars per day. No we don't match.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

CP3 been maurfacturing Capela's since he
    Been in the league. He did it with Chandler, and then Jordan. Just find him a young athletic 6'11 bigs and he'll do it all over again everytime

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

This made me feel better when I saw it, too. But now I realize that’s just smart GM’ing from DM. Making it sound like there’s no point for anyone else to bother, trying to keep CC’s co$t down.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Clint has almost no value because he is a RFA. You are confusing good player with valuable player.

Every other team out there knows the Rox dont have space to resign him why will they trade for him when they can just outbid the Rox. Morey says he'll match but the only that happens is if they let Cp3 walk or dump Anderson somehow.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It will depend on how he plays in the postseason . If he can play at a heightened defensive level then he will get paid big time.