1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New York Daily News] Nets want Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HOUSTONROCKETS5, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My thoughts are that of the teams out there wanting to deal, NJ is probably the most desperate in lieu of losing Melo. This is where Morey can get the most back for the assets he wants to move, assuming NJ wants those assets.

Favors certainly fits Morey's philosophy of players with a upside and making transactions that help in the future. I doubt AB would be enough to get Favors. But AB could facilitate enough interest to bring in other players and other teams.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Interesting point.

To add to that, last year Brook Lopez was untouchable. This year, he's seemingly regressed and his head coach is not a fan of him. Avery Johnson often criticizes his rebounding in the media. Has NJ softened their 'untouchable' stance on him? Could be, but so far there's no indication of that outside of his head coach's criticism.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The nets are in a totally different situation than the knicks were last year. Favors has tons of outside just like Morey requested for. But the nets know that too.

I would love to see us get him but do not want to give up the world.

4. 757

757 Member

I don't see why they would rather give up Favors. They were dangling him for Denver, but they were asking for Melo in return. Would they really want to give up that same player for ... Aaron Brooks? I think it's time for Morey Magic, he needs to get Lopez! :grin:

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Let me ask this? If we wanted to could we swap 1st round draft picks to get a deal done with a team? Like say for instance? We know Nets are gonna draft ahead of us. We want their draft position. They dont want to lose a first round draft pick in any trade. We as part of the trade. Send them our pick which will be afters theirs in the draft. We get their pick in return. Make a trade to draft higher by swapping picks? They dont lose a pick and also gain a player from us in the trade? You think Morey can do something like that or is exploring that avenue?

6. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

The Nets are getting desperate. I could absolutely see them giving up favors for 2 borderline stars. Just because they were offering him for Melo, does not mean they won't consider other options.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yes. See the New York trade from last year (we can swap 1st round picks with NY this year).

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Favors is too raw and the Nets need to start winning now. They Owner wants them to be relevant.

They can't wait for Favors. He's 19 and just not ready to be that player. He's a 2 year wait project All-star. We give them Brooks and Scola and they can get the 8th seed in the East.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I'm in the camp of seeing the rockets re-tool the whole thing. If they have a shot at a high potential kid like Favors, they need to seriously consider that. With the way Lowry has played this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see Brooks shipped out if they can potentially get better for the future.

10. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

F A V O R S :grin:

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not completely.

Remember we were trying to trade Tmac. We all asked 'Who wants this guy at this point?' only the desperate *** Knicks who just wanted to be relevant for the rest of the year. For them they got people talking about them for a bit and if Tmac could re-ignite his career there but they knew all along that he was going to have to be released in order for the cap space.

I think the Nets just want to be relevant. They knew Melo wasn't going to turn their season around but at least they would get more attention. See their stadium, it's pathetic most of the times. No one cares about the Nets.

While others are right that they wouldn't want to trade Favors for Brooks after they were just trying to trade him for Melo, but they'd also be getting proven player back with whoever else the Rockets include....Rockets can also throw in Hill another unproven Favors-like player and also they'll have a really good pick coming up in the draft.

I don't think it'd be that bad a move for them. As of right now Favors has not done much of anything for them they have to be thinking that they should trade him for the most they can get before that 'potential' sell wears thin like it has with Anthony Randolph.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Scola + Brooks for Harris + Favors.

That would be a pretty good deal. Don't know if Scola's value is higher... but it would be hard enough to trade Scola at this point anyway.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

In parenthesis because I'd rather he not be in the deal....but they may want more for him than Hill/Brooks. Even the best of trades carry some sting.

By and large I agree with you....but you have to believe that at least some of his issues have come from the RAMPANT Carmelo speculation all year. He didn't even get on the court before the Nets were talking to the Nuggets about him.

Rough way to start your career, and confidence is huge in the NBA.

14. albuster

albuster Member

No you're not. I'm with you on this one. Lopez should be the linchpin of any trade with the Nets. Lopez may be driving the little general nuts with his lack of rebounding but, in his better days, Lopez is a legit center. No Lopez no deal.

Well, they can have Brooks for...whatever.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Trading Scola is something we're going to really have to consider moving forward. If we can capitalize on a team with significant interest in him for the right deal then you have to consider that.

Scola + Brooks. Let's see what NJ has to say about that.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Like one poster said above me makes sense. Nets just lost out on Carmelo. You know what teams do when they lose out usually? They usually go for the next best deal they can find. Maybe we can be the team who benefits from this Carmelo deal falling through for them?

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mark my word---- Favors is a role player- not a star or franchise player!!!!! :p
    WE need Cousins!!! :p

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The Nets aren't under the cap so they still have to be within 125% in a trade. So if Scola is making $8 million (rounded for simplicity), then the Rockets can only take back $4 million due to his BYC status. If Favors makes $4 million (rounded for simplicity), then it works for the Rockets... but not for the Nets. They can only take back $5 million (125% of Favors' $4 million), but to them, Scola counts as $8 million.

I believe the way to get around that is to make the deal large enough in salary that the ~$4 million difference from the BYC status is within the 25% margin (so somewhere in the $16-20M range I assume)... or get a team that is under the cap involved.

But I could be wrong. BimaThug, NIKEstrad, aelliott... these guys are experts on the board with the CBA.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're right, that definitely has not helped him. Confidence is huge though and if he was any good I think he'd be able to play through that.

Either way he still has this potential tag and the Nets have to decide now if they want to work with this guy in the long run or sell him otherwise it'd just be a big failure when they try to trade him later and they can no longer say. "He has potential!!!"

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The BYC issue still applies if the Rockets are trading Scola for a player making around the same as Scola's "BYC value." From the NETS' standpoint, a Favors-for-Scola straightup trade does not work under the salary cap rules, since Scola's actual salary exceeds the range that is permissible for matching purposes. The trade has to work for BOTH teams.