1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New York Daily News] Nets want Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HOUSTONROCKETS5, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Yes, it is lottery protected.

2. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

AB = Rockets hottest asset= Rockets are doomed.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Would have to say that this trade actually makes sense for all sides which most dont on this forum.

If the Big Russian see's value in taking a chance on Yao coming back next year, then its a definite yes from their perspective. Could have huge benefits taking a comeback Yao to Brooklyn in 2012. Even getting him to sit on the bench for a few games next season adds alot of exposure and fan interest to their team. Not to mention the major cost savings. Which Im sure he could care less about.

Also, if Troy Murphy has kept himself in shape, he is a much better player then his current reputation has allowed him the past couple months and he can play the C position in certain situations and is a deadly shooter.

Favors & Wallace are the two centpieces coming back to Houston in this deal of course. Favors has alot more "potential" than Jordan Hill to play the Center position in the future, and thats why I take a gamble on him. He is built better for the position. As for Wallace, we all know what that guy can do. He would be a major upgrade on the defense/rebounding end.

Great deal.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, the pick is lottery (top-14) protected through 2016, and if the Rockets are picking in the top 14 every year through 2016 (let's hope not!), then the holder of that obligation gets a 2017 HOU 2nd round pick plus a little cash.

Bottom line: I don't think Morey really gave up too much for a shot at a high lottery-level talent in T-Will.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I agree. I still think the offer is:

To Nets - Brooks, Jeffries
    To Rockets - Devin Harris, Draft considerations

They dump salary, we get an experienced PG back.

Trust me, I'd love some of the trades you guys are discussing, but I think we need to be a bit realistic here. We're not getting Favors or Lopez on a package built around Aaron Brooks.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Nets are in the same position we are -- rebuilding with young talent. Why in the world would they want to give us Favors or Lopez? You're wasting your time.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Because they are the Nets.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

IMO, Scola's BYC status is not a negative as long as we have the Ariza TPE to play with. Not to mention being able to combine Scola with larger contract expirings like Jared or Battier and use the 125% rule.

I just have a sneaking hunch that NJ would move Lopez in the right deal over Favors. If that be the case, I'd gladly take Outlaw back and send them both Brooks and Scola to get that deal done.

9. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I'd also consider something like Brooks and Jeffries for Favors and Outlaw, given that Les has indicated a willingness to take on salary. We get a potential franchise player, they get Brooks and the opportunity to dump a truly odious contract before their move to Brooklyn and the big 2012 free agent class.

Plus, if there's some kind of salary amnesty provision in the new CBA, we really come out golden :)

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For the same reason they were willing to shoot for Anthony (or for the same reason Dolan negotiated with himself to make Denver better) - the owner is impatient and wants to see moves, pretty much any moves, even if sucking and building through the draft is a better long-term play.

But again, like I said I think they are basically making "dump Harris" a priority over anything.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm down with it all except Outlaw. If we're taking him they need to toss in a pick.

12. STUD

STUD Rookie

The Nets want to become relevant in the EAST by the time they get to Brooklyn, and that ain't happening with the team they currently got.

I mean the Nets were ready to offer Luis Scola a 55 million, 5 yr contract with a huge signing bonus, and given that the Rockets signed him for less than what they were offering. Leads to the fact that the Nets would want Scola in what they consider a bargain contract.

13. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

how about Mozgov, when the nets get him from the nuggets... or we can just deal directly with the nuggets. I'm for Mozgov all the way

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The difference being that if they had succeeded in signing Scola, they would have had him in addition to Favors and Lopez, not at the expense of one or the other. Paying out talent is a much different proposition than paying out money.

And, do you think they'll be relevant in Brooklyn with Brooks and/or Scola? For relevance, they need to look for bigger fish than that. Scola would have been a good signing; not so much in a trade. You're rationalizing a non-starter of an idea. If they were to give up these guys, we'd need to get them some bona fide high-upside players -- which is what we don't have.

15. worzel gummidge

Nets move Favors Melo.

In this case the Nets are just trying to dump Harris. I'm hoping the rumored Harris for Dre deal goes through.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you're accusing Nets management (or to put it more bluntly, Prohokorov) of being paragons of rationality - they honestly believed that they had a shot at LeBron, Wade, etc during the offseason.....when in reality they only had a shot at Anthony Morrow and Travis Outlaw.

In fact other than a desperately overpaying Dolan, Prohokorov has all the makings of a debutant Roman Abramovich ready for the fleecing. Shevchenko anyone?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This seemed likely from the moment it was announced that Denver was looking to extend Nene. He would be a third string Center on the Nuggets and very tradeable.

The question is, what would Morey give up to get him? My guess is the Nuggets would want a draft pick and the picks we have this years, 1st & 2nd round picks and next years 2012 pick might be valued much higher than Mozgov by the Rockets.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

What really worries me if this trade go down, I hope favors isn't j hill part 2.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm with you there. I have some serious concerns about whether or not Favors is a future star. I know its just his rookie year, but the times i've seen him play, he's looked lost. Then you look at guys like Wesley Johnson, John Wall, Cousins; even Paul George, and they seem to be making the transition much better. This kid is either gonna be a late bloomer or a bust.

And there must be a reason why NJ would make him available, absent the Carmelo trade. They've had a better look at this guy than anyone, and they are trying to rebuild. I think that says a lot that they would part with him.

But i agree that his ceiling is unknown.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

IF the deal is Brooks + Jeffries for Harris---"if" being the biggest two-letter word in the dictionary---then find a nice home for him on another team that gets us a coveted player or draft pick (Minnesota and Sacramento, for example).