1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden - an all-time great?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he plays like he did last year for his career (with normal declines for age), he would be better than Kobe imo.

Much more efficient scorer on similar volume and much better passer and ballhandler

As far as defense, Harden was average last year and Kobe is an overrated defender

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You didn't even reply to my last post there and didn't really to any of them, just a ton of pathetic excuses. And how about actually replying to my post here? Harden without a ring above Kobe, Harden and West? Every expert would laugh their asses of at your statement.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

above Kobe, West and Wade*

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Needs at least 1 or 2 championships to get in that conversation. Probably an MVP as well. Without that, he's probably going to be just outside the Top 5, assuming he stays this level of health/production.

Still on his way to a heck of a career either way

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Reread the post I replied to and what I bolded.

Nowhere did I claim Harden was better than Wade or ignore anything else. The poster said Wade was way more efficient than Harden. All I pointed out was that was wildly incorrect. There are quite a bit of criteria I look at to judge how good a player is, efficiency is one of many. There's quite a few things you could definitely say Wade is better than Harden at, but offensive efficiency isn't one of them.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You are right I didn't. I have a job and a wedding to plan, I can't spend all my time showing every idiot on the internet, how they are wrong. You simply don't know how to objectively look at things, and use good supporting arguments for your points. This became apparent when you tried to post volume statistics and explain what they meant, without adhering to the proper limitations and qualifications.

GOAT lists in themselves are subjective, depending on how you weight individual accomplishments. There will never be consensus, because there are too many variables. 2015 Harden blew any version of Kobe out of the water. Outside of MJ, only 09 Wade and 03 McGrady come close to that peak. If you feel Kobe riding Shaq's coattails to a ring, or the refs completely jobbing the Mavs and awarding Wade a ring, is more valuable than how good the player actually performs, more power to you. You are welcome to that opinion. And I am welcome to my opinion of you based on that caveman logic. Like I said, if you don't like my posts, you are welcome to put me on ignore.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

9. MD_in_Training

Kobe's got 5 rings. Even if you make the argument about riding Shaq's coattails, that's still 2 rings by himself. The chance of Harden putting up more rings as the best player on a team is slim. But we'll see...

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Empty stats without one championship, MVP, no defense and right now absolute cluster**** elimination games with our team won't ever make him 2nd all time at SG at any pace.

Your arrogant attitude and personal remarks don't convince anyone here, you're a complete joke when it comes to Harden.

11. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

His crap defense along with the selfish isoball definitely is NOT a top10 guy when his career is over.. but maybe he'll change. as of right now, i rather have prime tmac and vince carter over harden. is he even the best sg in the league today? thats an honest question. he's playoff performances too have been crap. hes good once every other playoff game.

Top Reasons why he won't be considered an 'all-time' great:
    1. God-awful defense; if you do backdoor cuts i think any one of us will score on him
    2. King of turnovers especially the crappy pocket pass thru 3 defenders
    3. Not a leader, leaders lead by example and all he does is over dribble, jack threes and expect others to cover up his no effort defense
    4. Not a prime playoff performer
    5. Did i mention he doesn't play defense??

1 person likes this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Man I want to put you on ignore, but your meltdowns are pretty hilarious.

You type like every thing you say is a temper tantrum.

Go to the golf course Mr. T, grab an iced tea, and hit the tees. Its gonna be okay.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Guess that's what you have to tell yourself when people call out your embarassing posts.
    I typed all of this extremely calm and laughing at your nonsense, your little attempts here won't help you when everyone can see how far from reality your views and narratives are, and the attitude doesn't cover for your sad statements.

14. chandlerbang21

LOL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he isnt even close.

15. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Top 500 of all time?

16. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

I like it!

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Harden's defense and has been a steaming pile of dump for all but one season as a Rocket. Even that one season, he started out relatively strong, but then trailed off to his old, crappy ways at the end of the year and the playoffs. Being a 2-way player is an absolute must in this conversation of top 5. In addition, there has yet to be a playoff run where Harden has really excelled and/or been the best player for the Rockets. One must also point out that Harden has poor off-ball movement.

He's got a ways to go, but I believe will get to top 10 status, and that's pretty good guys; let's not forget that.

18. Rocketeer4Life

Hell no! How can he be an all time great if he doesn't play consistent defense and is the highest turnover player in the league. He also doesn't make his teammates better hence their distrust/disdain in him in the beginning of this season.

He needs to improve in these consistently before he can even be considered. As of now, he is highly overrated.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He's a step above Joe Johnson.

The others, not so much.

Ray Allen
    TMac
    Drexler
    Gervin
    Reggie Miller
    Practice
    Wade
    Kobe
    MJ

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Harden is an ALL TIME GREAT when we will talk about efforts on the floor.

In fact, he is the only forking player in this league as of any team's top player that we will need to talk about : EFFORTS.