1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden - an all-time great?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Most people will still remember Iverson's famous clip : "Practice?! we are talking about forking practice, practice, man".

However, make no mistake, no one had ever questioned him on how hard he played on the floor, he could be a chucker as many people will believe, however,

NO ONE had ever questioned about his efforts.

2. Drogba

Drogba Member

Great post. Harden's already had one hell of a career and even his harshest critics accept he's nowhere near his prime with the way they constantly pick holes in his game.

Individually all that's left is an elusive MVP and giving the city it's first Championship since The Dream. Harden definitely has a better chance of doing that than that loser T-Mac amirite Young T?

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Vince Carter hahahahahaha

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually were all witnessing his prime years now. its all about adding those two to his resume and he'll easily be able to be considered a great because everything else will fall into place if both of those things are accomplished

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That guy is smoking crack. Neither of those guys accomplished half of what harden has done in 3+ years.

Goes to show how many novice basketball minds we have around here.

If JH gets back to last year form which I think he will he can lead this team to a title and get his mvp he deserved last year. His seaosn was better than Curry's all things considered.

Put it this way if the rockets played in California and has multiple ESPN beat writers for our team like GS has and GS had the season they had in Houston the vote would have been a lot closer and most likely in JH favor.

JH last 3 years stretch is better than almost evey SG other than Jordan kobe and I guess Wade but nobody wants to acknowledge that.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You mean the same stat that suggests that Omri Caspi is a more efficient player than Lebron?

Raw fg%, Wade is more efficient. Period. No ifs ands or buts. Wade for his career made more shots and missed less than Harden because he was a significantly better finisher.

Effective FG% prioritizes 3pt shooting. I would assume even Michael freaking Jordan during his years of barely attempting any 3pters would have a lower eFg% than James Harden and if you are willing to tell me with a straight face that Michael Jordan was less efficient than James Harden you deserve a slap across the face.

#86 fchowd0311, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Prime Wade would destroy James Harden on both ends of the floors. If Harden gets an MVP that in no way puts him over Wade. That's ridiculous.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes he has, I never mentioned McGrady here. :confused:

But one MVP and ring won't make him better than Kobe, West or Wade, it will have to be a lot more, plus being elite on both ends and delivering in the playoffs.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Such garbage arguments. Harden wouldn't have won **** with their sqauds either. Carter got the ECF at least. But, Harden would lead those Magic and Rockets teams that T-Mac played on to the lottery every year. JVG would have traded his ass before playing 1 full season together. I guarantee you JVG would take T-Mac over Harden any day.

This is why i hate arguing talent for all time lists. People put so much toward what is actually team accomplishments. Harden is nowhere near as talented as T-Mac and VC. Those guys could play in any system. I'll go as far as saying Harden would have never became **** if he didn't play in Morey's get to the line and 3's system yet he's still 41%fg and 33%3ptfg. I'll say they all have one thing in common. They are all fools gold.

The last 3 years Harden has been the 4th best SG of all time, arguably 3rd best? What an absolute joke.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...if you choose to ignore usage and basic common sense, then sure, I can see how you'd arrive at that conclusion. Most would not, however.

Do you also think DeAndre Jordan is the most efficient offensive player in the NBA because he leads the league in FG%? I mean...raw FG%, right? No ifs ands or buts! If we're going to ignore context and start comparing Casspi to Lebron, why not!

No, Harden is not > Wade. He's not as successful either. He's got a ways to go for that, which makes sense because he's 7 seasons behind him. To downplay efficiency and base it solely on FG% is mindless and outdated, though.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

There is Carmelo Anthony, Tracey ... guys that have a world of talents but constant fell short.

And there is Jordan, Kobe ... guys that achieved to the fullest.

The question is which path Harden will be on?

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol where should I start?

Uh no TS% and EFG% suggest Curry is in another stratosphere in terms of efficiency. Here are their career numbers.

Curry
    TS% = .609
    EFG% = .567

Omri
    TS% = .537
    EFG% = .510

And let's take another look at Harden vs Wades career numbers and take a little lesson in stats and basic math.

Wade

2P FG% = .509
    3P FG% = .288
    FT = .766
    TS% = .563
    EFG% = .502

Harden

2P FG% = .492
    3P FG% = .366
    FT% = .855
    TS% = .603
    EFG% = .515

Now on to the math lesson since you can plainly see from the raw percentages that Harden is easily the more efficient player.

Wade doesn't and has never really shot 3s, by nature a much less likely shot to go in when compared to 2 pointers. Harden takes lots of 3s which brings down his raw FG%, but as you can see on 2 point field goals Wade only slightly edges him out while Harden Is easily better everywhere else.

You are living in the past if you hang on to just raw FG% to argue efficiency. Anyone will tell you it's archaic.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Noticed you switched out Curry for Lebron. Which I will grant you makes you less wrong, but still wrong.

Lebron has a better career TS% and EFG% than Omri.

14. Drogba

Drogba Member

Agreed. I felt Harden made huge strides in terms of his playoff performances last year but his record breaking TO performance overshadowed his overall post-season.

I have faith he'll eventually deliver though. Do you have faith in the Beard?

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure, but he's been a bit better these last few games and we all have seen what he's capable of when 100% focused and motivated.

It would be great for this franchise, but right now there are many question marks surrounding him on and off the court, so I won't be overly optimistic that he can really bring us a championship (teams like GSW, Spurs, Cavs just seem so much better).

16. kidhoward12

kidhoward12 Member

Dwight is light years ahead of Harden career wise. Harden has all nba teams, 1 six man, and all star games. Dwight is easily in the top 50. Harden has a ways to go.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don't bother, if people try and use raw FG% as a talking point, they aren't worth talking too.

18. Ns575

Ns575 Member

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm referring to the 2015-2016 season. Omri is in the top 5 in the league in eFG%.

Also, how much of an idiot does one have to be to compare career fg% between a player that has been in his prime for most of his career because of his young age and a player who had already had multiple sessions of being far past his prime. Do you want to compare Hakeem's career eFG% while you're at it or Kobe's? If your wasn't to be fair I would use the 3 best statistical seasons of each player.

I'll still stand by my assertion that Wade was a far better finisher around the rim than Harden will ever be.

#99 fchowd0311, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Are we seriously comparing James Harden to prime Wade and T-Mac?

Harden has nothing on those two.