1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden - an all-time great?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

This is an underrated post. Someone rep this man

2. AXG

AXG Member

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

In terms of modern day sg, mj,kobe,clyde,richmond,allen,miller,and iverson will always be ranked ahead of harden.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol no

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's what winning an MVP and ring does to you.

6. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Take out Richmond and Miller for now

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Only clear cuts above Harden are:

MJ
    Kobe
    J West
    DWade

Harden has a chance at top 5 all time when he is done but will need a few rings and possibly MVP. well and he has to start playing defense and stop being selfish

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yes, in terms of shooting 3s. Just manipulate the stats and voila!

1.Harden
    2. Ray Allen.
    3. Steph Curry
    4. Reggie

9. fchowd0311

Harden is tethering the fine line between becoming the next Melo or the next Wade.

He needs to stop jacking 3s, limit turnovers and play respective D to get into that all time great category.

#29 fchowd0311, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like this idea.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Elhassann is a GSW bandwagon fan who hates Harden and Dwight (said so many times on his podcast). ESPN is also making him their goldenboy, gave him a huge raise a couple months ago so he takes a shot at the Rockets whenever he can.

Harden not even in top 20 really? rofl what a joke.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

MJ
    Kobe
    West
    Wade
    Clyde

James will have a difficult time cracking the Top 5, except maybe Clyde and that's just maybe.

Top 6 aint bad

13. ibm

ibm Member

harden has nothing to do with "all-time great", homers.

wake me up and talk to me when he's achieved what dwade has done, which will be 55 yrs from now.

1 person likes this.
  14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree with what you said but I do think he can pass Clyde if he wins just one ring because he will have better stats than drex. I also think he will have better stats when it's all said and done than Wade.

Bottem line is James needs a ring to get to top 5 imo and he can get to top 4 if he wins multiple Rings.

Imo it's no doubt he's a better player than Reggie miller, Ray allen, allen iverson and those guys from 6-10.

I don't think ppl realize how rare harden is offensively. He's been playing at HoF offensive levels since he got to Houston and last season was an MJ/lebron type year.

Only bird/lebron/mj/Oscar have done what harden has been doing the past couple years in Houston with the scoring/playmaking and efficiency. He's a very special player that prob won't get his due till he wins a ring. Ppl just really don't like him or his game for whatever reason. Yeah he's bad on defense a lot but he is so so good on offense.

If the Rockets get back into the top 4 and win 53+ games he'll be back in the top 3 mvp discussion and everyone will forget about his first 40 games.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ohh you mean the same wade that won 40 games year after year getting bounced in the first round every time unless he played with a top 5 center or top 5 player of all time.

Yeah that guy lol

Wade is great but cmon man he would have no rings without lebron and Shaq

Give harden those guys and he has 3 rings too maybe more.

Harden would compliment Shaq and lebron better because he could hit the 3 and shoot from the outside better and still has waded driving and passing ability.

Only thing Wade is surely better than harden at is defense

And there is nothing homer about that.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd put him in the top 70 players all time right now. I mean hitting 28 ppg is sick... plus 6 reb and 6 assists. That is all world. If he can add Championship he's likely moving into Top 25 players all time. but that's a long shot right now. He needs some help. I'd probably still rank Dwight Howard, TMAC, and Chris Mullin ahead of him which is kinda shocking, but it's a long road for Harden. He's still only career 20 ppg.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

"If he can just learn to be a little more consistent as a "we" guy instead of a "me" guy, he is headed for top-six status."

That's a mighty big "IF"... I wish him the best of luck, but talking about ANY 'all time' cred is way too premature at this juncture.... talk to me when he gets at least a couple rings, an MVP or 2 or at least double digits all star appearances... 'all time' is so grossly under appreciated nowadays...

1 person likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Wade is far more efficient than Harden. He had multiple seasons of being close to or at 50% from the field with high volume(30ppg in one season at 49%). Harden will never do that in his career primarily because Wade was in another stratosphere when it comes to finishing. Not only was he crafty with an amazing touch around the paint he, unlike Harden, played above the rim. He also didn't have to settle as often for lazy jumpers in a triple threat position like Harden does because his first step was more explosive than Harden thus he could get to the paint more often.

Also, let's not pretend Wade had prime Shaq as a teammate like Kobe. He was still marginally more productive than Dwight but no where near 30ppg Laker Shaq.

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Guards better than James Harden:
    Wardell Curry
    Russell Westbrook
    Damian Lillard
    Klay Thompson

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I hear you, man. Offense, offense, offense. Two things James needs to break Top 5....

1) more defense (directly related to leadership)
    2) better playoff performances