1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden - an all-time great?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Jan 13, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

No, he needs to understand defense, the team concept first and then win some rings and MVP(s).

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

False.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

James is on the right track. If he improves weaknesses and leads a couple Finals-caliber teams, then top 5 is definitely possible although it's early. If he pounds out a bunch of duplicates of this year (closer to average efficiency with bad defense on a marginal playoff team) then he might be remembered as more of a Mitch Richmond. There's nothing wrong with being Mitch Richmond, but obviously we all expect more of him.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You do realize the article features a handful of random national writers, none of which are Houston homers, and most believe he will be top 10 or better.

You do realize that for their careers Harden has a better effective field goal percentage AND a better true shooting percentage. Meaning Wade isn't far more efficient, not even close, he's actually less efficient than Harden.

5. ibm

ibm Member

exactly. since these writers are "random", meaning they aint some ppls that are particularly credible, why do we care about what they have to say?

to be clear, "homers" refer to the cf's who think harden is already an all-time great here, not the writers.

what has harden ever achieved? mvp? an nba title? last time i checked, at a crucial juncture of a playoff game where his team had a magical comeback after losing in an embarrassing fashion, he as the #1 player of the team was sitting on the bench. lol.

talking anything about "all-time great" before harden, or any player, has done anything truly meaningful... dont you think it is... laughable?

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think they do have some credibility. Likely more credibility than 95+% of the posters here who generally just follow the Rockets and have no idea about the NBA outside of Houston or this era of basketball. The word random was only used to express where they are based not how smart or credible they are.

No, I don't think it's really all that early to talk about all time greats. We have a large enough sample size to see what type of player he is and if he continues with 5 or so more years playing at a level between last year and this year then he easily makes the list for top 10 shooting guards of all time. He's obviously not there yet, but he projects to get there.

And Jesus Christ the Harden haters are gonna hang on to that clips game and the 12 turnover game for dear life aren't they? What about ALL the other extremely crucial games in the playoffs where he was stellar? What about the regular season where he was the biggest reason we were able to secure the 2nd seed. Those 2 playoff games don't completely erase all the amazing things he did the rest of the year.

I know you don't like the guy, don't believe in him and whatever. But if you let your dislike for the guy preclude you from being rational about just how good he really is, its just kinda sad.

Like my point earlier. These are guys not from Houston just guys who are paid to pay attention to the game and most think he's on track to be an all time great. These aren't homers wishing and hoping there guy makes it. Hell listen to nearly every big writer, national podcast or anything discussing basketball and it's generally accepted that even in this down year Harden is still the best 2 guard in the game right now. deny and ignore it all you want but you are in the minority in your view of Harden.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You should probably check again

Only six seasons in the league and:
    1 finals appearance
    2 WCF appearance
    3 all star appearances
    1 six man of the year
    1 2nd place MVP finish
    2 X all nba 1st team
    1 x all nba 3rd team
    1 x FIBA World Cup Gold Medalist
    and one of the greatest non Michael Jordan seasons by a SG ever.

What is laughable is Houston Rocket fans who don't realize what they have.

If Harden kept up his 15 pace, he would be the unanimous 2nd best SG of all time. If he stays at his 13, 14 and 16 level, he will be duking it out for a spot in the top 3-4.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No better than Marcus Thornton tho

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree with 13-15...on that pace he's an all time great, maybe even 2nd best SG ever.

But his 16 season is far worse than you think and nowhere near great status.

10. ibm

ibm Member

if tjones keeps up his recent pace, he'd become the greatest pf only next to a guy named timmothy duncan. but that's a big "IF". lol.

2nd best sg of all time? i suppose you meant next only to mj. really? see, when i said "homers", i was exactly referring to the cf's like you.

11. MD_in_Training

He will never surpass Kobe. No chance at 2nd best SG. 3rd would be an incredible achievement.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is really no single objective stat to measure individual greatness. The so-called "all-time" whatever is all largely subjective.

But let's use WS as a measuring stick. The top 5 SGs career WS numbers:

Jordan 214
    Miller 174 (surprised on one thought about Reggie Miller being one of the greatest SGs of all time)
    Bryant 173
    West 163
    Allen 145
    (Drexler 136, Wade 112 round up the most-mentioned greatest SGs.)

Harden is now at 68.8. He needs 96 to pass West to get to top 4.

His '13, '14 numbers were both 12.8. This season he is on pace to 12.5. Let's give him a round number of 13 per season, if as you say he kept up his '13, '14, '16 pace. He needed to play at that level for about 7 more seasons.

I really hope he does.

(BTW, the differences between the 2-4 spots aren't that big. So being the best "non-Jordan" and being top 3-4 is pretty much the same. In order to get to Jordan's spot, he would have to play 9 more seasons at his '15 level.)

13. Borneoman

Borneoman Member

And you really want to ignore that Wade already had 3 rings?

14. larsv8

I see you your entire premise is built on what he did in one close out game and your retort is logical fallacy attacking a point I never made.

I think the better discussion is not the "homers like me" on clutchfans, but rather the "idiots like you" on clutchfans.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Jordan, Drexler, Kobe, West, Gervin, Maravich, T-Mac, VC, Wade, Dumars have something to say. I don't put Harden over any of these for now. He's lucky the game has not been blessed with that many great SGs who play both sides of the ball.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Unanimous 2nd best SG in front of Kobe and West, without a championship and defense? Your level of delusional Harden nut-hugging is seriously embarassing.

17. larsv8

Look I am sorry I embarrassed you in the other thread. If you are gonna follow me around and be butt hurt, just put me on ignore. The anger will pass, I promise.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I even forgot about Wade, you are a complete joke if you think Harden without any championship and defense will be 2nd of all time at SG.

And your arrogant attitude doesn't hide the fact that you are a delusional Harden homer with no clue.

19. ibm

ibm Member

logical fallacy? where is it? please enlighten me.
    if there's any "logical fallacy", it was from you. because your entire argument was based on a big "IF". and that "if" isnt happening right now.

actually, the post below your last one kinda concludes this thread perfectly: "Jordan, Drexler, Kobe, West, Gervin, Maravich, T-Mac, VC, Wade, Dumars have something to say. I don't put Harden over any of these for now. He's lucky the game has not been blessed with that many great SGs who play both sides of the ball."

there you have it.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ginobili over Harden overall too by the way.