1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Aware That Houston Has Become More Attractive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Feb 6, 2013.

?

Do you want Dwight Howard in free agency?

1. Yes, a Ho is hand is better than two in the bush

417 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Nah, lets get Lebron next year

374 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-dwight-howard-told-los-angeles-lakers-traded

Sources: Lakers won't trade Howard
    Updated: February 6, 2013, 1:19 AM ET
    By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine

Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has told Dwight Howard he will not be traded before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, according to league sources.

Kupchak recently told Newsday the same thing, saying: "We will not trade Dwight Howard." Sources say Kupchak has told Howard several times that he has no intention of trading him.

There have been rumblings for the past month that the Lakers are considering moving Howard out of fear that he might leave as a free agent after the season. Despite their concerns, the Lakers have not directly asked Howard whether he plans to stay or go in free agency, according to sources.

Sources have told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne that the Lakers are "very confident" Howard will remain with the team this summer.

Howard has steadfastly refused to reveal his plans for this summer, and sources say he truly does not know what he will do. The sources add that he definitely will not ask to be traded.

Howard becomes a free agent July 1 but wants to live in the present, sticking to his goal of winning the first championship of his nine-year career this season, no matter how unlikely it might seem with the Los Angeles Lakers getting off to a 23-26 start more than three months into the season.

"Right now, my only focus is to get us into the playoffs and win the championship," Howard said in an interview Monday with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. "Nothing else matters at this point."

Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will be Howard's chief suitors when he enters free agency July 1. But the Lakers can offer Howard a five-year contract worth roughly $118 million while every other team in the league can offer him only about $88 million over four years. The extra $30 million means a lot to Howard, sources said, and is definitely a major advantage for the Lakers. With the injuries he's recently suffered to his back and shoulder, Howard might be less inclined to give up the extra year of security.

"I understand, you know, what the Lakers want," Howard told Smith on Monday of his contract status. "And I also understand that right now, there's no need for all the circus and all the stuff that happened last year [with Orlando] to start back up. I don't want it, my team doesn't need it, I don't need it, and frankly, our fans don't need it neither."

Of the Lakers' three free-agent competitors, Houston appears to be the most favorable for Howard. Dallas is aging, and Howard is not keen on playing in his hometown of Atlanta. Houston, on the other hand, has star guard James Harden and is only a frontcourt star away from becoming a legitimate factor in the Western Conference.

While Howard had no interest in going to Houston last season, sources say he is aware the Rockets have become a more attractive destination since acquiring Harden.

2. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Thats interesting. To make Houston destination more appealing, Houston officials should take him around the tour when he comes here on All-Star weekend.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think Dwight's coming to Houston. I have no inside info but I believe the rockets are the perfect team for him he can get 15 shots a game rebound and block shots and play with an unselfish star in harden and a global icon in Lin who has potential to be a stud himself and is as unselfish as the get. The 30 mil he loses out on here he would gain in being Lins teammate I believe if marketed right he could make big money in overseas endorsements. Plus we would be instant contenders and be the fun team that Howard likes. I just think its to good of an opportunity and the exact right place he needs to be that ultimately he will come here.

4. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Don't want Dwight. That $20M can be better spent.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Prepare the iPad!

6. psman2

psman2 Member

Sign Howard then trade Asik for Ryan Anderson. Magic 2.0 new and title worthy.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol on what?

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

it's 2013, these days a GMs gotta give out at least a whole suite of Apple products

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm not getting my hopes up. I think he stays a laker in the end.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dwight had a chronic spinal nerve pinch that has yet to be alleviated by surgery almost a year ago. I think this guys career might be coming to an end tragically.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I said this a month ago, Dwights back injury wont get better. generally back injuries wont ever be the same. Tmac is a prime example.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So....if Houston gets Howard (a big if IMO) does that mean that guy that guaranteed Dwight would be a Rocket gets to come back? His username slips me at the moment.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the concerns about his back are pretty legit.

When it comes to NBA players, backs and knees are a big issue. If you are having problems in both areas you're career can come to a prompt ending. See Tmac for back and Roy for Knees.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He had this surgery like 9 months ago? And he's still feeling sharp pain run up and down his spine. I think he's done. If you're smart you stay away from acquiring this guy. Laker's can sign him to a hostage contract if they want.

15. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

well, I said that 3 months ago, Dwight is over.

16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Imagine a backcourt of CP3 & Harden, with Dwight Howard up front?

Unstoppable. I'm hoping that Harden & these guys 'bond' over the All-Star break, then they make a Miami style move to Houston...Hire coach K...bring in a few bits 'n' pieces...The Next Dynasty.

Yao could even come back for 10-15 per game...just saying.

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Your right once you have a bad back it's going to be there for now on.

18. carayip

carayip Member

Why not trade for Lebron and Durant and bring in Phil Jackson?

Maybe even bring Hakeem and Drexler out of retirement, just saying.

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

A potato.

We aren't winning a championship with him as a 2nd star on a $20M contract, and if we aren't winning a championship I'd at least prefer likeable players and flexibility.

Dwight wants to be the first option, he sulks and plays lackadaisically if he doesn't get his touches, and when he tries to create from the low post he's an abomination.

If he could accept being the 2nd option and accept criticism and try to legitimately work on his game than yeah, but he fits none of that criteria while being one of the biggest primadonnas I have ever seen in this league.

1 person likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Holy #%^#**%}!

That last sentence in bold made me pee my pants. Maybe Drama Dwight isn't such a pipe dream after all. All the more reason for Morey to keep his powder dry, and preserve that cap-space. We ought to pick up a couple of picks too, since that would likely be the price of buying Howard's bird-rights if he does decide to leave LA.

Now more than ever, it's important for us to make the playoffs this year. That significantly limits the players we can trade for picks. That list is probably:
    TD
    Aldrich
    Morris
    Greg Smith -only if we kept Aldrich (although I'd hate to do it since he has so much upside)

None of those guys are all that critical to our success. I think Beverly could fill in nicely for TD. Morris is a glorified 3-pt shooter who can't play D to save his life. Aldrich is gone. We'd likely need to keep Smith if we were trading Aldrich.