1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Would Dwight Howard Look Next To James Harden In A Rockets Uniform Next Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mariachi ROCKET

We’ll get to see them execute the pick and roll in the All Star Game!!!! DH12 to Houston!
    Patrick Beverley will have to give up wearing though#12. LoL

Question, who was the last Rocket to wear #12 before Kevin Martin? Pretty easy answer
    Patrick Beverley

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not to treat players like pure assets, but the Rockets can try to maximize asset management by trading Asik+others for a top-30ish player and then give Pekovic a big deal that Minnesota won't match. Personally, I'd prefer to spend our cap space on a center than a PF given our bevy of draft picks used on the position.

3. BeardsOnParade

lol at people going on and on about him not making FTs as the reason they dont want him.. LOL. Thats laughable, and Asik does hit FTs??

If he could get back to the way he was playing pre-injury i would take him on my team all day. The reason he complains is because he's not winning but even if he found another reason to complain i wouldnt give a damn as long as the Rockets are competing for championships.

4. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

I find the mere act of drawing fouls (especially early in the game) is extremely valuable in and of itself. With Harden and Howard both drawing fouls throughout the game, in addition to the Rockets being able to live at the line, it will also put opposing players on the bench with foul trouble (which not only effects the minutes played by them, but how they play- IE not contesting a layup to avoid an additional foul). Even if Howard hits 50%, I think it would be worth it.

Also, Howard is a defensive beast... let's not forget that.

2 people like this.
  5. torocan

torocan Member

The problem is nobody knows for sure that Dwight will return to pre-injury form. It's a back injury, and with chronic back problems there are no guarantees.

This is aside from Dwight's attitude issues. He had issues in Orlando, he's having issues in LA. He wants to be the "superstar" in a big market, and he wants the offense run through him (even if that may not be the best idea all the time).

The worst possible scenario I can see is Howard gets signed, turns out to be a diva, and NEVER recovers his athleticism due to back issues and injury.

Now, if Morey believes that Dwight's back will be okay and that he'll either mature or his attitude is manageable, then that's a completely different argument.

However, since we don't have the medical reports or know the truth of what's going on behind the scenes in LA let's just say I'd be very cautious about selling the farm for Dwight.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Injured Dwight is still the best C in the game.

7. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Dwight is not the solution...He has no low post moves..no handles..and hes a terrible free throw shooter..KEEP HOWARD OFF THE ROCKETS!!!

8. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Are you describing Howard or Asik?

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Dallas is actually Southern Oklahoma. Otherwise known as okD

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I am all for trading for Dwight Howard and here is why-

Basketball reasons-
    Imagine how much more the defense would have to back off Harden & Lin on the P&R with Howard rolling to the rim?

Look, I dont even care if Dwight ever becomes the Dwight we remember back prep surgery(which he should), Even the Dwight Howard now upgrade from Asik offensively would make this team an unstoppable force if they played the same way.

On defense & the boards I would say you are going to get very similar production if not better. On offense though, they could be much, much more efficient with a much higher upside.

Huge, huge upgrade both in performance, and star power.

....................................................................................................

So whats the story on getting a trade done?

-Well it all comes down to one thing... Will Dwight inform the Lakers that he will look elsewhere in free agency this Summer? This is the key. No doubt Mitch K. and Dan Fagan(Dwights agent) will be in constant communication on this if they aren't already. The Lakers stance is we are keeping him, but that cannot be their stance internally if they think he could walk.

Dallas, Atlanta, and potentially Houston(if they move another contract) are the only 3 realistic options this Summer he could walk to as an UFA. Other teams would have to completely gut their rosters to make salary cap space for him on a max contract. These are really the only options.

I still think its highly doubtful that he does this given the 30Mil he will be leaving on the table in guaranteed money, but all that this would be is pure leverage to get traded... Plain and Simple.... Leverage to get moved elsewhere.

#Fowgetaboutit(NY accent) with Brooklyn-

*I want to note that Brooklyn isn't a very good trade option IMO. Brook Lopez would not be a very good move for LA to acquire. Asik IMO is a better option, both financially, and reliability in the areas of importance for the Lakers for them to win... Defense, and Rebounding. LA Must be thinking, Tyson Chandler ALA Mavericks championship role. Asik is the best they can do in that realm from the center position unless Horford is made available. Brook Lopez has more to offer offensive, but lacks in the areas they actually need improvement, comes at twice the cost, and is has MAJOR chronic injury issues.

How about Dallas?-

What Dallas has to offer is not great outside of Dirk. OJ Mayo would duplicate what Kobe does, and he's going to be shopping for a major upgrade in salary in the near future. They have Kaman as an expiring, but to make salaries work, either Shawn Marion or Vince Carter almost certainly have to be included in the deal, and Im not sure LA wants to deal with that salary next year.

They have a few nice young players like Jae Crowder, and Bernard James to offer, but nothing like Parsons, Terrence Jones, Smith, or D-Mo to offer. So the best offer the Mavs could put on this table is -

Kaman(8mil expiring)
    Marion(8.6-2 years)
    + picks/questionable young talent

For Dwight & 1 or 2 minimum salary players.

I only see Dallas being a realistic option if Dwight tells them its Dallas or he's leaving the NBA to play in Europe this Summer.

Atlanta?

The Hawks have the best assets to offer LA in a Dwight trade if they are inclined to bet that he will sign long term in Atlanta, and they give up Horford. They have multiple first round picks to offer(the T-Will trade could bite the Rockets in the A#$ once again), and they have the best player to offer LA in Al Horford.

They could offer-

Horfort(12 mil - 4 years)
    Pachuilia(5.2 expiring)
    +multiple first round picks

for Dwight

If Dwight and Josh Smith both signed long term next Summer, they could have an interesting core moving forward, but would have to get very creative in what they could acquire to put around those two all-stars seeing as though they would be forking over a large chunk of salary in just those two players without very little to offer from the PG, SG, SF position offensively.

Houston?-

Even if you take away the homerism, I still think Houston has the best odds here if Dwight hits the market. They would almost certainly have to offer either Asik or Lin to get the deal done, and it would be hard to see LA not wanting Asik as he almost certainly resembles the best available defensive center they could acquire, on the best value contract. If Dwight is going to walk, Asik is a pretty decent consolation prize.

Most likely trade package-

Asik
    Delfino
    + at least 1 prospect out of Jones, D-Mo, White, Smith, Morris, Patterson
    +possible draft pick considerations

for Dwight
    Minimum salary player like Jamison

So, they way I see it, Rockets fans need to start realizing that this could actually happen here in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks. Of course, it all has to do with the behind closed doors(or sometimes public) communication coming from Dwights corner. Dwight isn't going to find too many other situations in the NBA that are more tailor made for him to both be a worldwide star, and win championships alongside another star or two that wont hamper his style on the basketball court in Harden/Lin/Parsons/ & co.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I were the Lakers, I wouldn't even pick up the phone to try to trade Dwight Howard. Instead, I'd simply walk down the hall.

Dwight Howard for Eric Bledsoe, Deandre Jordan (filler if need be) and a 1st round pick.

There clearly isn't enough ball to go around on the Lakers. But Chris Paul doesn't demand 25 shots per game like Kobe. Blake Griffin doesn't seem to care how many touches he gets so long as they win. With Dwight Howard, the Clippers could actually give the Heat a run for their money.

Meanwhile, the Lakers are thin at PG and Bledsoe would be the quality backup that allows Nash to play fewer minutes and stay fresh. And I know this is crazy, but Deandre Jordan might fit with Kobe and Pau better. He doesn't need a lot of touches. He'll block shots, board. get put backs and, of course, he'll continue to get alley oops - it'll just be Nash doing the lobbing. But most importantly, he won't require any plays being called for him.

Earl Clark has actually played well for them at power forward. So now they can split the PF minutes between Gasol and Clark and the center minutes between Pau and Deandre.

Am I crazy?

12. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Yes you are crazy. Clips are their cross town rivalry. No way Mitch would make this trade.

13. rockets13champs

i love omer though if some way we could wait till free agency and sign him then and keep asik also

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would say sure, but the point is Dwight and Fagan cannot say that Dwight will sign with the Clips in free agency because it is not possible. It's gonna take Dwight being willing to publicly make it known that he has interest in not just any team, but a team with the ability to sign him as a free agent for the Lakers to be forced into action. Which at this trade deadline can realistically only be Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Cleveland, Phoenix, and I believe Utah now will have the capspace I'm not mistaken.

15. trowa2

trowa2 Member

sign howard, trade howard to heat for bosh + 243232 first round pick. win win

16. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

DH has back problems and it could be a massive risk signing him. I still remember how Yao owned him each time they met.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Look I was not into the dwightmare because I thought he'd bolt in free agency. That said, people must have a pretty short memory around here. Howard has one bad year, coming off of back surgery, with a new team, two different head coaches in two different systems, and all of the sudden he's trash?

Guys, Dwight is a top 3 player in this league and if you have a chance to lock him up long-term, you freaking do it. Anyone not named Harden should be made available if the Lakers decide to deal Dwight.

You people are nuts.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-dwight-howard-told-los-angeles-lakers-traded

Sources: Lakers won't trade Howard
    Updated: February 6, 2013, 1:19 AM ET
    By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine

Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has told Dwight Howard he will not be traded before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, according to league sources.

Kupchak recently told Newsday the same thing, saying: "We will not trade Dwight Howard." Sources say Kupchak has told Howard several times that he has no intention of trading him.

There have been rumblings for the past month that the Lakers are considering moving Howard out of fear that he might leave as a free agent after the season. Despite their concerns, the Lakers have not directly asked Howard whether he plans to stay or go in free agency, according to sources.

Sources have told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne that the Lakers are "very confident" Howard will remain with the team this summer.

Howard has steadfastly refused to reveal his plans for this summer, and sources say he truly does not know what he will do. The sources add that he definitely will not ask to be traded.

Howard becomes a free agent July 1 but wants to live in the present, sticking to his goal of winning the first championship of his nine-year career this season, no matter how unlikely it might seem with the Los Angeles Lakers getting off to a 23-26 start more than three months into the season.

"Right now, my only focus is to get us into the playoffs and win the championship," Howard said in an interview Monday with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. "Nothing else matters at this point."

Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will be Howard's chief suitors when he enters free agency July 1. But the Lakers can offer Howard a five-year contract worth roughly $118 million while every other team in the league can offer him only about $88 million over four years. The extra $30 million means a lot to Howard, sources said, and is definitely a major advantage for the Lakers. With the injuries he's recently suffered to his back and shoulder, Howard might be less inclined to give up the extra year of security.

"I understand, you know, what the Lakers want," Howard told Smith on Monday of his contract status. "And I also understand that right now, there's no need for all the circus and all the stuff that happened last year [with Orlando] to start back up. I don't want it, my team doesn't need it, I don't need it, and frankly, our fans don't need it neither."

Of the Lakers' three free-agent competitors, Houston appears to be the most favorable for Howard. Dallas is aging, and Howard is not keen on playing in his hometown of Atlanta. Houston, on the other hand, has star guard James Harden and is only a frontcourt star away from becoming a legitimate factor in the Western Conference.

While Howard had no interest in going to Houston last season, sources say he is aware the Rockets have become a more attractive destination since acquiring Harden.

2 people like this.
  19. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Thats interesting. To make Houston destination more appealing, Houston officials should take him around the tour when he comes here on All-Star weekend.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think Dwight's coming to Houston. I have no inside info but I believe the rockets are the perfect team for him he can get 15 shots a game rebound and block shots and play with an unselfish star in harden and a global icon in Lin who has potential to be a stud himself and is as unselfish as the get. The 30 mil he loses out on here he would gain in being Lins teammate I believe if marketed right he could make big money in overseas endorsements. Plus we would be instant contenders and be the fun team that Howard likes. I just think its to good of an opportunity and the exact right place he needs to be that ultimately he will come here.