1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deadline Day Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I figure it would be easier to see what new stuff guys find in terms of rumors, reports etc if we only had to check one thread.

My opinion is that we may just stand pat and go to war with what we have. After this 2-4 homestand exposed the fact that maybe we need more than just one big bat to make a push (i.e. we have bullpen issues too), I have a feeling that Drayton and Tim may decide that we really can't pinpoint exactly what we need to make this season a success...and therefore, let it ride on the backs of the guys we have. I cant say I'd argue with that at this point. Soriano, Tejada, etc wouldnt have helped us a whole lot in the 8th or 9th innings yesterday.

The Roy O trade talk is absolutely nauseating...I hope there isnt any truth to it.

Anyway...I guess we will see what happens between now and 3 pm.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree. I'd like to have Tejada...but I don't think the Orioles are gonna give him up. I'd rather not give up anything for two months of Soriano.

Good idea on the thread.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Our bats are not consistent but it is our pitching that has let us down this year.

The bullpen has blown WAY too many leads, and our starting pitching outside of Oswalt and Clemens has been for crap !

DD

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Tejada is the only one I'd go after unless Alfonso wants to sign an extension which is not going to happen. Since the Tejada thing looks like it is not going to happen, I say we stand pat.

Oh and if anything happens to Oswalt, you can officially put me in the "I hate Purpura" l club even though I have defended him up to this point.

Right now I am in the "I don't like" Purpura club for Roy Oswalt's name even being leaked to being available. If/When we do decide to try to resign him, it is not going to help us having him know that we almost traded him away.

Yesterday's game made me sick, but this Oswalt trade talk is 10x worse.

5. MadMax

looks like to me the astros were very general in their approach..."here are the guys without no-trade clauses...who do you want??" i don't think it was a specific, "we want to trade you roy oswalt" sort of thing. just my best guess from the way the information is presented in the chronicle.

6. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Marc Berman was just on sportsradio 610. He said he believes the astros are not going to trade Oswalt. He said the astros basically had everyone on the market just in case some team wowed us with something we never thought could happen. The only way we would trade him is if we got a huge return.

7. NJRocket

exactly.....if someone gives u a list of guy and Oswalts name is on it, you would be a fool not to ask about him

8. today

today Contributing Member

Thanks for the report... This makes me feel better.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ok, so why did no one ask about berkman? does he have a no-trade? does anyone? i thought it was against team policy...?

10. NJRocket

dont know...good question

11. MadMax

how do we know they didn't ask?

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The Orioles said Berkman was also on the table as well at some point. But then again they're the Orioles so take it with a grain of salt.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've now come to the realization that I'd be ok if nothing were to be done today and we stand pat for the rest of the season. I can live with no playoffs this year. It just isn't happening. Too many breaks going the other way. Maybe Karma has caught up with us. Look at Byrnes catch yesterday. How many times has an opposing player made a highlight reel play against us? I would love to see the list of plays made against the Astros after the season.

That said, I still say go after Tejada with a prospect or 2. He's signed for 3 more years and could be a great centerpiece to add along Berkman and Burke for the long term.

Either way, I'm good. I've decided to just enjoy the rest of the season no matter what happens. Besides, as of this weekend, it's officially football season.

14. Buck Turgidson

Bingo.

15. MadMax

what happens this weekend?

16. rocketlaunch

camp opened up..

17. RocketManJosh

Yeah I was basing this on the Rosenthal rumor that the Astros offered Ensberg, Everett, and Oswalt for Tejada. I guess I need to remember that it is just that, a rumor. I just don't like the fact that his name has shown up in so many different places.

18. RocketManJosh

19. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

I'm cool with the Astros not making a move now. Even if we get Tejada we're still a long shot to make the playoffs and acquiring him will mean giving up a lot of talent.

The Stros really dissapointed me this season though. Between the offensive struggles, the bullpen blowing leads, and Pettite's inconsistency it's just been a tough year. I would never have thought we'd be 7 games under .500 this deep into the season.

20. rocketlaunch

If behind the scenes Roy demanded a trade, or said he would not sign back with the team after next season would you trade him?

I believe if they were to trade Oswalt they should be able to recieve a ton of players for him.. That being said keep Oswalt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.