1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deadline Day Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Did you hear this from a neighbor? I'm trying to stay sane here but I'd love to know where you heard this.

2. NJRocket

Someone put him in the penalty box till 3 pm today please.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

WHY I AUGHTA!!!!!!!! :mad:

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'd hafta change my sig.. but I'd be all for that deal. Too bad it's wrong ;) Crap, I have work to take care of for the next 3 hours... I need a trade-deadline-textmsgpager-update thing!

5. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

dont listen to the guy who posts more nonsense on the board than anyone else...give me a break.

the only more useless person on this board sometimes, other than rule0001, is his boyfriend...

#45 rusHour, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  6. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

haha, ease up on the hate dudes, I'm already over-anxious at the deadline and a "friend" thought he would play a "funny" joke on me... :( :mad:

7. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

really!

im not sure how many times within 2 hours of work ive hit the refresh button on a couple sites

8. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't even trade RoyO for Tejada straight up.
    That said we need both starting pitching and another big bat.
    No more rentals...We have to get a guy that's going to be here awhile,esp. if we're giving up prospects.

Now Soriano for Qualls,Gallo,and Lane is more like it.But this move better be made in conjunction with a move for a quality starter plus a closer/setup man where we give up prospects.

10. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

[​IMG]

11. Rule0001

Sorry, Strangelove, it's already been determined that I'm full of crap. ;)

12. NJRocket

if we could get Milledge for Lidge sign me up....but I dont want to give up Roy

13. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Well you know nothing is going to happen between 12 and 1, there is no way Timmy P skips lunch.

14. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Wayne Krivsky is one hell of a GM. He acquired Bronson Arroyo, David Ross, and Brandon Phillips for Wily Mo Pena and 2 PTBNL. I thought that Felipe Lopez trade was bad for them but now thinking about it, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Today he acquired two more solid arms in Kyle Lohse and Rheal Cormier for two minor leaguers. He is good GM who knows how to attack a weakness.

15. NJRocket

yes but could he be the anchorman in a tug o war?

16. Rule0001

Ooh, a gay joke...I'm so hurt...so...hurt...

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...and standing pat is no good.In order for that window to be open for the next couple years while Roger is here,Drayton needs to open up the wallet and spend some money.....RIGHT NOW!!

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This was just posted on chron.com. What a revolting turn this is. The Astros need to be buyers. Not sellers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4083663.html

July 31, 2006, 10:46AM

Wagner to provide scouting report as Mets eye Oswalt
    Slumping Astros closer Lidge also at center of trade speculation

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Former Astros closer Billy Wagner is ready to give Mets general manager Omar Minaya scouting reports as the National League East leaders pursue a trade for Roy Oswalt. Wagner also has assured Minaya that he could help straighten out slumping closer Brad Lidge.

“I told Omar, just put (Lidge) out there with me,” Wagner, the Mets' closer, said via phone Monday morning. “I’ll get him straightened out.”

The Astros have until 3 p.m. today to make a trade without having to put a player through waivers. As of 10:30 a.m., Astros general manager Tim Purpura had not completely given up hope of acquiring Miguel Tejada from the Baltimore Orioles or Alfonso Soriano from the Washington Nationals. He didn’t seem optimistic, though.

“Regarding Tejada and Soriano while they are still possible, I would not say they’re likely just based on where things stand this minute,” he said. “Things can change quick, but they haven’t.”

It’s unclear whether Oswalt remains on the market, but the Astros aren’t going to give him away either. A top club official in the NL East who is privy to the Astro and Mets' talks assures the Chronicle "there's nothing there" on the Oswalt-to-the-Mets rumors.

There’s no doubt the Astros want to get rid of Lidge as soon as possible. The Mets have the best record in the National League, and they’d love to have Oswalt, the only pitcher in the majors to have won 20 games in each of the previous two seasons.

Oswalt also is a proven pitcher in the clutch, going 2-0 while allowing only two runs over 14 innings against the St. Louis Cardinals while earning the Most Valuable Player in the 2005 National League Championship Series. “What would it mean if we got Roy Oswalt?” Wagner said. “It would be called championship. Put it on the board. I don’t even think Omar would have to ask me about Roy. If he asked me about Roy, I’d tell him, ‘He’s a gamer, goes out there, takes the ball and is ready to play to win.’ That’s what I’d tell him. It’s all about pitching. It’s all about pitching.”

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

beat me to it ... I was just about to post that. I'd do Milledge for Lidge in a heartbeat.

And I agree with Dr. Stranglove -- I wouldn't even do Tejada for Oswalt straight up. Not in a million years.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

next couple of years while roger is here???? huh??? how about next couple of months while roger is here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.