1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So We Can't Watch Rox/Dallas Tues-Unless We Have Comcast!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dvr4me, Oct 2, 2014.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Do you still have to get an invite for ball streams?

2. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

All I did was fill out the form on the site to be on a "waiting list" and a few hours later I got an invite e-mail. lol. some waiting list.

https://www6.ballstreams.com/register

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

4. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

What speeds are you paying for?

5. jman7373

jman7373 Member

Is there a stream that is free?

6. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

ok guys, I can officially say ballstreams is legit ! love it !i Had it run onto googlecast from my android tablet to my tv and looks pretty good in standard def but some slow down on hd. Amazing screen quality(had to also download android ballstreams app ) . On my labtop, did the instructions to download player and app on windows 8 it looks amazing on both sd and hd !Def recommend it !

7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Yep, it's definitely legit. I used it all last year!

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

firstrowsports.eu

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

> 100 Mbps. haven't seen anything less than 120 in my building though. in evening it's like 170 bc nobody on it

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

In crappy quality, there are plenty.

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I know lots of people love ballstreams, and I've tried it out as well. They work great from a functional standpoint, I will give them that.

However, they admit themselves that they are not sanctioned by the NBA (and why would they be?).
    http://www4.ballstreams.com/support...le+more+information+before+I+make+my+decision

I would say they currently sit in a legal gray area since they are based in the Netherlands. Streaming and downloading music and videos can be illegal as well, and I would probably equate ballstreams to maybe like a paid version of some online pirating site.

Right now the amount of viewers on ballstreams compared to those who watch the NBA on TV or using league pass is probably very minimal, and likely consists of the 18 - 30 age group.

If at some point in the future, the NBA decides it's losing out too much business via leaguepass they may pursue some sort of legal action against ball streams.

Bottom line is that ballstreams appears to be morally gray at best, and at worst it's a foreign company taking advantage of their lax laws to profit from a product they play no part in producing (other than the actual streaming service).

12. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

morally grey is a league that gets subsidized arenas by municipalities and then cries poor (despite massively rising franchise values) to impose a lockout on fans.

Greyer still is one of those franchises, again, playing in a publicly subsidized arena, cutting off access to over 60% of the city through a terrible FSN deal.

cry me a river. Ballstreams isn't running anything shadier than the NBA/rockets are.

13. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

^ should say RSN

14. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

The lockout wasn't imposed on fans, and it wasn't done by the league (unless you're grouping NBA players, refs, and owners all in one).

And that's besides the main point I'm trying to make. If you buy into ball streams, you run the risk of a loaded NBA organization putting a C&D order at anytime. How much faith do you put into ballstreams, a company profiting from unsanctioned behavior, to refund your money? More faith than comcast returning a partial refund on a mid-month cancellation? That's great, so somewhere north of 1%, I still wouldn't count on a refund.

I'm not one to claim Ballstreams is somehow more immoral than a free streaming, poor quality service just because they charge a premium. Just saying they are as direct a competitor to league pass as it gets around here and you would have to take the NBA for idiots for not trying to shut them down eventually.

15. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

The fans were affected by the lockout, absolutely. The owners were the one forcing the lockout by requiring huge BRI sacrifices by the union. There's a reason it was a lockout and not a strike.

And of course ballstreams is going to get hit hard at some point, but until then, they're offering something the NBA should be providing.

16. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Well I actually don't think the NBA will ever be able to provide a ballstreams like service (if you're referring to a league pass product without blackouts) since there are certain agreements in place with local TV stations. It sucks but that's just the way it is. Ultimately it's their product and they have complete control over how its handled.

17. bmd

bmd Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Judge Isgur has ruled that Comcast's interest in the collateral “is of inconsequential value.”</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/519952623554686976">October 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is, in effect, a victory for the teams and a step toward the AT&amp;T/DirecTV sale.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/519952761773780992">October 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>