1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has a torn meniscus (UPDATE: Will not require surgery, expected to return)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by loveofthegame44, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Tough break for Pat. Injuries always suck. :(

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

So you're telling me you have 2 of the top 10 players in the NBA....an above average SF....and that's not enough to get out of the 1st round even with a mediocre point guard? I'm talking the first freaking round. Just saying if Harden is doing his thing, D12 gets his 18-12 or whatever and Parsons is rolling, they should win even with nothing from the Lin/Canaan.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Sergio Llull...come on down!

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

How about looking back to the other day when Kemba Walker was having his way with Bev?? I've been saying over and over, in your face defense does not aways equal good defense.

These Pg's nowadays are too quick for that, sure you might make a nice steal that fans will remember but more often than not the guy is going to blow by you like Walker did last game.

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

Machado and Johnny Flynn are available..

6. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

It's tough not having Beverley for the Playoffs especially now we only have Lin and Canaan left.

This is a karma jinx on the haters who ridiculed Lin and literally "wanted" Lin to be injured so Canaan can be the backup PG. What goes around comes around I guess.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Emanuel "E-Mail" Davis?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think Morey has some options. It's hard to find someone to play defense like Beverley, but Morey should be able to find a competent free agent at that position.

There are, for example, a number of competent American PGs with at least some NBA experience who either just finished their seasons in China or are about to finish their season (the pro season there is shorter, and they are already playing in the finals). One name I heard teams had interest in was Bobby Brown-- a 29 year old who played a little in the NBA but have spent some time playing well in Europe and China. I'd imagine that for a guy like Brown, the Rockets would be an attractive option as a team that offers him an opportunity to compete for minutes and showcase his skills in the playoffs, plus can pay him some $ with the room midlevel exception.

9. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

BTW, why is this a 5-star thread? How does the rating work? Should anyone rate this with 5 stars be banned, either celebrating or mocking?

10. jason330i

jason330i Member

Tough news bev. Get well soon.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is this what you wanted Westbrook??!!!!! You happy now??!!!!!:mad::(

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Disgusting.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You don't rate a thread reporting news bad simply because of the news---the thread rating system is to allow threads that reflect opinions to be gauged.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Beverley has a tenacity that simply no one else on this team has as much of. Everyone else has it in spurts but he's consistenly turned up a notch. Definitely sucks.

Canaan has an opportunity to really shine but not a whole lot of time to pick things up. If he brings his jumper we should be ok.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Report him. I know I am.

16. torocan

torocan Member

Hrm, not sure how I feel about either or them.

If Seth Curry hadn't been snatched I'd say grab him, but I've found both Machado and Flynn a bit underwhelming. =/

There just aren't *that* many guys floating around worth grabbing.

Of course, if we decided to do a completely bizarre move, we could grab MWP to back up Chandler/Tjones... he's not what he once was, but nobody would ever accuse MWP of not being tough. He would be okay off the bench. And the veteran leadership wouldn't hurt either...

17. Nook

Nook Member

Artest came back 12 days after his surgery.

Some people take as little as a week and some 6 months.

It depends on the severity of the tear, genetics and how hard someone rehabs.

The best way to approach Beverley is to assume the worst (out for the year) and hope the best... The swelling goes down, it is a minor tear and he is back by the playoffs.

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Defense can be leveraged at team level, and everyone of them should step up. They have to play PnR defense better, collectively, anyways. Or they can mix it up with some zone. Wait, that needs to be practiced first. Never mind.

We do need to pick up someone to expand the guard rotation with some quality minutes, in any aspect of the game. The last thing you want is to run other guards or Parsons down, so close to playoffs.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

We're a worse team now but hopefully Canaan can step up

20. masc0635

masc0635 Member

I agree. PnR defense is a team work. Warriors set up 2~3 screens for Curry, no matter Bev or Lin, it is so hard to guard this, big guys need to step out to help PG.