1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIE] The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

It was a really good movie until they forced love scenes into it, man that was painful stuff to watch. Even then it was still an enjoyable movie.

2. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I know that this will be contrary to public opinion but I thought this was a rare instance in which the movie made the book better. I thought the book lacked any real depth and emotion and I was never drawn to any of the characters.

3. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

never read the bottom, so i didn't know what to expect

with that said, i expected more given the hype

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I remember vaguely that at the end of the book, Katniss is basically starving (like her ribs are all showing or something), no indication of that whatsoever in the film. Oh well, at least the author herself wrote the screenplay though, so most of the important stuff was in there.

5. The Bird

The Bird Member

This is the part I disagree with most people. I do agree the love scenes were forced but in the book she does this basically to survie. She really doesn't have feelings for him during the first book.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I haven't read the books but I think I will now...the movie was awesome. Only a few minor things that I wish they could have explained better, and it might have been nice to see a little more brutality, but otherwise the movie had me hooked from the first scene. And I thought the acting was well done...in fact I think that was one of the stronger points for me...emotional resonance handled very, very well.

7. 713

713 Member

Movie was real good. Had me on the edge of my seat every action scene...Seemed we're getting an early summer blockbuster. This movie is gonna shatter some opening box office numbers.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I read the first book and thought it was just ok, but I can see how the tweens can go crazy over it. In the the middle of the book I felt there was an inordinate amount of Hunting/Foraging/Hiding that could have been spent explaining the other tributes/districts and expanding the ending. The Death of a main enemy I thought was really rushed and had no weight when it was all said and done. I guess what was supposed to be the climax of the book (The peeta/Katniss decision) also didn't have any weight behind it to me. My little sister forced me to read the first book with her but she hasn't asked me to read the other ones. Not sure If I want to continue reading the series on my own just for fun.

9. VanityHalfBlack

You guys better soak up the Hunger games now cause next week The Raid will own your ass!!!!

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm 36, so I probably had no business going to this movie. I hadn't heard of the books nor even the movie. But, we had a baby-sitter so we went out and we had to pick the least bad movie of the ones available. And, since Hunger Games started every 15 minutes, it won out.

It was alright. It was terribly predictable. But children murdering each other can be interesting regardless even when you know who the friends and enemies will be, who will die, and in what order. It was very contrived too, especially at the end -- no, really everything about it.

I did think they did a very good job of creating atmosphere in District 12 and the Capitol.

So, my recommendation for fellow old-timers is I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. But, if you have to choose the lesser of 2 evils, it'll be alright.

11. Nero

Nero Member

The Hunger Games

7.5/10

I know some people are going to scream that this rating is too low.

So I will explain it like this: In the case of this particular movie, I started at a 10 and subtracted points for things which I believe the producers of the movie either failed to do or did poorly/wrongly.

#1 The incredibly bad 'shaky-cam'. This was a first for me. I have seen probably every 'shaky-cam' movie that has come out in the last 10 years or so, and I have not had one single complaint about it, and I mean, not one single complaint. I have literally scoffed at the people who complained about 'shaky-cam'. Actually, I still scoff at the ones who complain that it makes them feel sick. Grow a pair. However, in the case of this movie, the 'shaky-cam' was not only far beyond excessive, it was also absolutely unnecessary. There was simply no reason for it, and it detracted from the enjoyment of the movie, so much that it took me right out of the movie from the beginning.

So, minus a point there.

#2 The production design as a whole. What were they thinking? Ok I confess, I have not read the books. But was this image of the world really the one the author was visualizing when she wrote it? A wealthy and sophisticated society populated by.. circus clowns? Seriously? Was this science fiction, or the Wizard of Oz? Maybe it's just me, but again, the thinking behind the 'created world' just really really struck me as poorly-thought out. And the special effects? What in the world? This was 'ScyFy Channel' level of SFX.

As much money as this movie is going to make - and it will - it is going to be HUGELY profitable because it is clear they didn't actually spend a whole lot on it.

The sequel will look better.

However, this movie stands on its own for my review, and minus another point there.

#3 Ok, I know this was PG. But the 'action scenes' contained... no action. Every single action sequence where there was direct physical conflict between combatants, not one single bit of it was actually shown. We saw the RESULTS of the conflict, but none of the actual fighting. Everything looked to me like someone rolling downhill holding a camcorder. Absolutely CRAZY use of quick-cut and shaky-cam. To me this shows a lack of skill and confidence on the part of the director.

Half a point off for that, because like I said, I do understand that it was PG. But still. Could have been, and SHOULD have been much better than this.

So, that is how I arrive at the 7.5/10

What this means is, the rest of the movie, most particularly Katniss and yes even Peeta, was very good, very emotional. I will even say, for the very first time, I saw Josh Hutcherson in a movie and didn't want punch him in the face. He has grown up to the point that he actually has some weight to his performance now, in fact I kept seeing him coming across as a young James Caan. But obviously, this is very much Jennifer Lawrence's show, and she sells it flawlessly. I actually didn't care for her all that much in First Class, but here she lives the character, and shows you everything inside of her every moment she is on the screen. Bravo.

Overall, I get the impression that the producers were very unwilling to spend a lot on this movie, and it shows. And I can't blame them, because in the aftermath of Harry Potter and Twilight, the 'youth books' were supposed to be the 'next big thing', and they have universally tanked. Lemony Snicket, Vampire's Assistant, The Golden Compass, The Lightning Thief, etc etc etc. I think, sadly probably rightly so, that the producers decided to hedge their bets by going cheap on the production and hoping to turn a massive profit, and maybe ramp up the production values for the sequels.

So, I do recommend seeing it, but I don't think the producers should be given a pass on their decisions to cut corners and go cheap.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the love scenes looked forced because Katniss has to force it in the book. unfortunately, the movie doesn't convey it really well.

i thought it was a solid movie, 7.5/10. i didn't think too much of her during the previews but i basically fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence by the end of the movie. unfortunately, it was hard to care for anyone else. besides Peeta, i don't think anyone got more than ten minutes screen time. for every tribute that died i just thought, "meh, whatever. didn't even know or remember who that was." and they must have consulted Christopher Nolan on the action scenes. the shaky camera was the worst part of the movie.

i never felt bored during the movie though. even at 2.5 hours, it seemed to go by fast. looking forward to part 2.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Whoa didn't expect it to be entertaining. I liked it.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

She doesn't really love him yet. She cares for him because they are from the same district and they have a history but she's pretending so she can get help from the sponsors and survive.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I give this movie a 6.5/10 at best. Never read the book. The entire atmosphere was too unrealistic, you are expected to believe that this hunger games is the most popular thing ever yet no real fan of this hunger games would tolerate all the BS that the "commissioner" does to the contestants.

I hated katniss in the movie and was actually rooting for her to die the entire time. the movie started out well but just fell apart.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Odd bc I thought it started off like **** but picked up steam when the "game" began.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who was Peeta?

Rocket River

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

hehe, I guess I just enjoyed learning about the society and stuff, was curious to see how they lived in the districts, and then what society was like in the city, which was why I enjoyed the beginning parts before the games began.

Once the games began, it basically became pretty much an action movie, not the kind of societal commentary that I liked.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I thought Peeta kind of looks likes a young Woody Harrellson.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think they could have done a better job establishing the hedonistic nature of the capitol people and the parallel to roman culture there is in the book. The idea of the clown like style is on purpose. You don't find out why until the third book so I won't spoil it, however it was done to mock fashion and how our own society is.