1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIE] The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

First of all there was like no real action. All of the action/death scenes were "implied". Either the camera cuts away right before someone dies or the camera gets all shaky and you cant really make out whats happening. Sucks bc I thought the concept was interesting enough, making the rebellious districts pay for their "sins".

(Sidenote, why the eff are we still mining coal in the future?)

I was actually interested up until the actual games started. Then everything turned into hot garbage. I understand that watching movies you have to "let go" a little bit and accept whats happening to a degree. But there were some things that didn't make ANY sense at all or needed serious explanation.

1) If viewing is mandatory who cares about "ratings"

In the book it says that only some of the viewings are mandatory, or else the citizens will be watching 24/7 (obviously not feasible) and the ratings are more for the people in the Capitol, whom after all the hunger Games were designed to please.

2) Why did Haymitch stop training with Peeta randomly

When was that? He never did.

3) The "alliances" during the games didn't make any sense to me at all. If everyones fighting to the death why would people buddy up? Especially kids from outside districts working with districts 1 or 2.

Again, it's a lot easier to explain in the book. That kid you saw guarding the explosives? It's explained that he's from District 3, where they make electronics and stuff, so only he knew how to dig up the wiring from the platforms and make them into bombs, and only he knew how to rig it.

The only sensible reason to buddy up is if you're gonna protest the games and survive together as a big "F-You" to the Man.

4) What was the reason for the rule change? That was dumb. Even dumber was the fact that it was rescinded later. If the spirit and honor of the games are so important why mess with it.

5) The sponsor packets were a good idea but poorly executed. So a loud ass beeping parachute isnt going to alert anyone but you that its coming?

Yep agreed, the book never mentions a beeping however, just the silver parachute.

6) Where the hell did Peeta get the stuff to help him hide in the rocks?

Lol good point. Although apparently the author read a lot of wilderness survival guides and stuff, maybe there is a way of camouflaging yourself using solely natural stuff?

6a) and how the hell was he stabbed with a sword but not killed?

I think you mean after his fight with Cato? He was stabbed through the leg anyway, not like through the torso so I guess that's how he survived.

7)The Gamemaker's manipulation of the environment with the fire seemed reasonable but the pitbull/bear things that manifested out of nowhere towards the end was f-ing ridiculous. And how did they suddenly lose their collective appetites so quickly at the end...

Lol because or else there wouldn't be another book obviously!

Once the games started I couldnt get into how silly it all seemed.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What a terrible movie -- 1.2/ 10

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why didn't Peeta just kill everybody when they went to sleep waiting for katniss to come down? Even if he could only get one stab in, stab the main guy and then run away before the others catch you. They are weak without their leader.

It seemed every dumb thing katniss did was rewarded by sheer luck. When she wasted so much time burying rue it paid off cause that other black guy let her go. When she had that plan with rue she spent so long standing there when she coulda hit the only person guarding the supplies with an arrow. Once again though she got lucky.

Finally we are expected to believe that she cares so much about her sister, yet had no problem committing suicide with Peeta, wtf?

4. rage

rage Member

Some of your questions have been answered so I just take a few:
    It's a PG13 movie, made to sell tickets. If they add more blood and gut , it would have been a R movie and a lost of $100 mil.
    How do you know there is no coal in the future?
    It makes a lot of sense. In stead of fighting alone and have a 1-24 chance to survive, if you team up with 4, 5, your chance to survive to near the end is much better. Then, you take your chance.
    Spirit and honor have very very little to do with the hunger games, it's a show and it's a punishment.
    Those dogs are bred specially and controlled. You don't think they can control dogs? We do right now with whistles and voice...

5. VanityHalfBlack

LOL, finally a negative feedback...

6. rage

rage Member

I think in the book, they have guards.
    She wasted a lot of time but then again, her game plan was not to take out the others. She wanted to out last them.
    Hitting the guy guarding the supply is fine but she wants to destroy their supplies more so she can out last them.
    What does one have to do with another? She didn't mean to commit suicide anyhow, she wanted to force the Capitol to change their rule.

7. rage

rage Member

It was forced but she also had mixed emotions about him.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

If you have to read the book to enjoy the movie, why even watch the movie? I'll say it again, it was a mediocre movie at best. Poor characters and poor action

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was under the impression that the dogs were . . .
    like the holograms in the Star Trek HoloDeck

Rocket River

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Alliances are temporary, like on Survivor or Real World VS Road Rules.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought it was nearly perfect, though I really liked the book as well.

12. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

Book was much better than the movie in my opinion. Only part of the movie I enjoyed was Jennifer Lawrence

1 person likes this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

The only reason....

1 person likes this.
  14. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

Obviously I am exaggerating but I felt like the movie had more potential, I just expected more. Not sure how it got such high reviews on Rotten tomatoes.

15. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

This is why I hate how it gets compared to Twilight and other teeny bopper fads.

I felt the books focused a lot on the psychological affects of the Hunger Games. That's why you read about much more gore, their trainer was a much worse drunk, and the characters are mentally unstable at the conclusion of the games.

Taking away all that to make it PG changes the whole message.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of their PTSD is not really explored until the 2nd book truly. They do hint at it in the first book, but really things are moving so fast they the characters and you the reader don't really pick up on that.

You are right about Haymitch. A lot of that is in how he acted the part, more than the script. I just can never take Woody Harrelson seriously in anything especially a dramatic role.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Saw it last night. I thought it was an amazing adaptation, and a good film. Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman FTW.

The complaints lodged by some seem to come about from a misunderstanding of the characters and story.

I think these people will be much happier next week when they watch Wrath of the Titans. Plenty of stylized violence without any message to worry about.

18. Nero

Nero Member

Fair enough.

What would you say IS the 'message of the story'? I am curious what you think, since I am guessing you have read the books, given your choice of name here.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe message was the wrong word. I didn't mean for that to come off so jackass-y.

I specifically was meaning the criticism of why didn't Peeta just kill all the Careers when they were sleeping. The reason he didn't is because, like he said right before the games, he doesn't want to be just another piece in their games. So, yes, he might kill if it was in self defense, but he is not a violent person by nature, and did not want the Capitol's games to change him.

This later will be strongly contrasted with Gale, who has long thirsted for a rebellion and is always a little too anxious to get in the fight, even if it means taking out some innocent people along the way.

As for what the message of the book is... well, that is up for debate I suppose. To me, it is overwhelmingly anti-violence, and at parts anti-war and anti-Big Brother. But to others it is a critique on consumerism, though you probably wouldn't get that from the film.

This was not a perfect film, and not even a great film, but it was overall a great adaptation. I especially like the approach the director took in shooting the film. Much of the crew was top-notch, and it came through from the editing to the score.

The parts of the film I wasn't too impressed with was Rue's "scene" and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is a poor artist who blames the audience

If the story is misunderstood. . . by and large . . it is because of fuzzy filmmaking
    I don't think it should be NECESSARY for one to have read the book to enjoy the film . . . .

great filmmakers . . . make it work
    Good Filmmakers . . . make a stab at it
    Bad Filmmakers . . .say . . you should have read the book.

[I am aware that you did not make this film]
    My point is . . . I won't assume the audience is 'not sophistacated' because
    they didn't 'get' a film I like . . ..

IF most folx are misunderstanding the characters and story
    that is on the production [filmmaker/actors/etc]
    I could see what they were trying to do
    where they was trying to go . . . but in somepoints
    I just don't think they made it

it was an ok movie

Better than TwiLight . . .worse than Harry Potter
    LOL

Rocket River
    #filmsnobberyfortheloss