1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIE] The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. SunsRocketsfan

Anyone else excited about this movie? I enjoyed old movies/books like The Running Man, Logan Run, and tje Lord of the Flies. This movie seemed right down that ally so I decided to read the books first. Once I picked up the first book I couldn't stop till I finished the 3rd book just 5 days later :) This movie looks like it be really good. Hate how they are splitting the last book into two parts though. Damn you Harry Potter for starting that trend.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qoUT7q2iTbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ABforPresident

Im a junior in highschool and absolutely hate reading...but I must admit i could not put down Hunger Games.. will definietly see the movie!

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

There is a lot of potential for it turning into a cult like teen movie. Good thing goonies never had a book.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

My girlfriend loves the books. Movie looks ight.

5. VanityHalfBlack

6. SunsRocketsfan

yea i know I saw Battle Royale and there are definitely some similarities. Especially the first movie. But halfway through Book 2 the story differs. Anyways BR was pretty bad ass when I saw that back in college

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I read the first book and thought it was pretty good but about 5/6 of the way through I thought to myself "Is this book meant for teenage girls?"

1 person likes this.
  8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Books were good easy reading. I'm excited to go see the movie, though I think the casting was pretty bad.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Battle Royale didn't invent the concept of people being forced to fight each other to the death.

10. SunsRocketsfan

haha yea there is a love story aspect to it but i dunno I think it adds to the character development. I'll shamefully admit I enjoyed the first Twilight movie.. After that it was all down hill and lame

BTW just saw BR and it sucked. Here is a link you can watch it online. The movie use to seem cool now seems incredibly boring and lame.
    http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Battle_Royale_Full_Movie_146_2007.php

Hunger games is so much more interesting. Much better setup, world, and the biggest difference is character development. Too many damn characters in BR so its hard to care or know who dies.

11. VanityHalfBlack

No but it's one of the better movies to execute that idea pretty well coming from a very high prolific director from Japan... I highly doubt Hunger Games have the balls to be as bad ass as Battle Royale...
    Quentin Tarantino calls this movie the best movie in over 20 yrs but then again who cares about a hack job like Tarantino right?

12. VanityHalfBlack

Some movies I guess don't hold up as well when they age to some viewers but I don't know, I still think this movie is damn good even after 12 yrs still... Isn't Hunger Games going to be PG-13??

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Geez 2000 was 12 years ago, wasn't it? Time really flies.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Was that Lenny Kravitz at the end?

15. False

False Member

First book was an enjoyable read, but each book gets exponentially worse. The 3rd book makes you regret ever having started when you realize you could be doing something else more enjoyable, like preparing your taxes, or cleaning potatoes, but you are a slave to sunk costs will force yourself to finish anyway.

I can stomach a teen lit book or two, but the 3rd book is literally the worst. I say that without having read Twilight, but that doesn't really say much. Do yourself a favor and just read the first book, it is fairly self contained.

1 person likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the love aspect is kind of forced. In fact, the author originally didn't have it in the story at all, but added it when her editor told her to. Here's to hoping the film doesn't make it too big of a deal.

I really liked the books and am looking forward to the film. The comparisons to Battle Royale are inevitable but insignificant. They are different stories.

Battle Royale is to Lord of the Flies like The Hunger Games is to 1984.

Plus Jennifer Lawrence is a damn good actress and is not too hard on the eyes either.

Yes. He's playing a character similar to the one he did in Precious. Still an odd choice to me, but Gary Ross has always cast well in his previous films (Pleasantville, Seabiscuit).

#16 Haymitch, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  17. DreamRoxCoogFan

If this is true, it makes a lot of sense. The romance was annoying and felt forced IMO. Took away from the story. I also didn't really like the way the series ended either. Regardless, it was a good book and I'll probably catch the movie at some point.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

a movie about teenagers murdering each other to survive gets a PG-13? ****ing fail.:mad: i loved the first book but after that it was one chapter after another of confused teenage girl drama.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is it really a shock? Did you expect them to eliminate 70% of their target audience by making it rated R?

PG 13 should be ok for this movie. The book really didn't focus on gore and foul language so why should the movie?

20. SunsRocketsfan

one thing I found a bit awkward is in the books was there were several references to nudity of girls 12-16 years of age with so called stylists who are grown men/women staring at them.
    Pretty sure those parts will not make the movie