1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry charged with Battery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaosDirtyStache, Jan 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. valorita

valorita Member

Clutchfans where Guilty until proven innocent

2. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

You're right. I re-read one of the other articles I think this one comes closest to why I thought she'd been hit in the head:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/01/06/rockets-lowry-charged-with-battery-in-vegas/

Quote from article:

"The criminal complaint says the 25-year-old Lowry was taunting 30-year-old Infini Robinson while she was officiating a game between NBA players Sept. 22.

Police say that when the game ended, he threw a ball at her torso and cursed at her for calls he didn't agree with.

Robinson later was hit in the shoulder by another basketball in an area designated for officials. She said the ball hit her with such force that it pushed her body back in the chair where she was sitting, and said it likely would have broken her nose had she not been bent over changing her shoe."

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think your reading to much into it wanting Kyle to automatically be a bad guy now because he made a mistake.
    There is now doubt that he was wrong but again he immediately took responsibility for his actions and apologized.
    What if it was your mother, what if it was your brother? What if the woman ref wouldn’t make the calls and was putting him and other players career’s in jeopardy, allowing them to get injured like Jermaine Taylor did. What if the woman ref was running her mouth and telling Kyle to stop b****ing about the calls or she would kick his ass because she was sick and tired of hearing him complain like a b****. What if she was being a real b**** the whole time like some women can be sometimes especially ones that are trying to act more like a man than a women.
    You don’t know he threw the second ball, the area for the refs was probably right off of the main floor, it doesn’t state that it was a locker room it just says and area for the refs.
    If this was your brother and you always knew him to be a good upright man and that he never has or never really would hit a woman you may look at it differently.
    You are reading a lot of extra stuff into this the same way I just added extra stuff that I don’t know. That isn’t the right thing to do either way.
    Again what he did was wrong but we have never seen anything but excellent behavior and play from Kyle and I think you should give him the benefit of the doubt as a person not a player.

4. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Here's the definition of battery:

"Battery is a criminal offense involving unlawful physical contact, distinct from assault which is the fear of such contact.

In the United States, criminal battery, or simply battery, is the use of force against another, resulting in harmful or offensive contact.

[1] It is a specific common law misdemeanor, although the term is used more generally to refer to any unlawful offensive physical contact with another person, and may be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the circumstances. Battery was defined at common law as "any unlawful touching of the person of another by the aggressor himself, or by a substance put in motion by him."

[2] In most cases, battery is now governed by statute, and its severity is determined by the law of the specific jurisdiction.

Specific rules regarding battery vary among different jurisdictions, but some elements remain constant across jurisdictions. Battery generally requires that:

an offensive touching or contact is made upon the victim, instigated by the actor; and
    the actor intends or knows that his action will cause the offensive touching.

Under the Model Penal Code and in some jurisdictions, there is battery when the actor acts recklessly without specific intent of causing an offensive contact. Battery is typically classified as either simple or aggravated. Although battery typically occurs in the context of physical altercations, it may also occur under other circumstances, such as in medical cases where a doctor performs a non-consented medical procedure."

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Again, no one has confirmed it was Kyle Lowry on the second throw.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Weaker than he? He didn't come at her with his fists, he threw a ball as I stated in my previous statement. This statement borderlines on the sexist line as well. Is she weaker because she's a woman, or because she isn't an NBA player. I can outbench Kevin Durant, does that mean I'm stronger than him in your book? There are girls on my soccer team who can kick my ass, run faster than I can, and their goals count for two points. Really, who is the weaker sex here?...

If my mom was a former college player and someone who wanted to be a ref, then I think she can handle herself on the court. Don't get me wrong, I would be pissed off, but charging him with assault would be excessive.

As for your peas argument, let's try this. I'll let you throw a basketball at me from point blank range, and then I get to throw a bag of frozen peas at you from point blank range, let's see what hurts more. Your analogy falls short here.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually I bet I could do more damage with a basketball than a box of frozen peas.

I am not saying Kyle Lowry is evil or deserves severe punishment. he doesn't.

But what he did was wrong and people here seem to be in denial about that. Apologizing for physical acts of harm is not enough unless that other person accepts it.

She has every right to go after Kyle Lowry. She is not the bad guy. It is HIS fault, not hers.

Granted, it must be proven that he threw that second ball, but it sure as heck looks like it did.

And there is no justification for it. None. Doesn't matter how bad her officiating is. Doesn't matter if she taunted him even. You can't make excuses for violence. This is something people need to understand.

1 person likes this.
  8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Doesn't seem like the Kyle I know.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, I probably wouldn't tell my mom to file charge . . . unless of course if I happened to know the guy made millions of dollars. :p

Seriously, if a guy threw a basketball at you in a gym, would you have called the police? What does it matter if that's a woman or a man?

Look, I despise man hitting a woman as much as anyone. (Lowry actually didn't hit her. He threw a ball at her.) I even despise people making derogatory remarks about women on this board. And very few people are saying that what Lowry did was not wrong. You just made it like it was a serious crime and Lowry would lose all our respect from now on.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are portraying the details of what happened in a sugar coated and white-washed way, and also adding some sort of interpretation to what I wrote. Reread without the lens.

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

lol, according to Yahoo Sports, Lowry is out because he was kicked in the foot by Jeff Adrien in practice...

12. valorita

valorita Member

just another reason we should have kept greg smith or morris over this guy! :mad:

13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Watch Lowry lose his season momentum now!

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am not surprised that Sweet Lou would be the one making the dumbest posts in this thread.

This is a non-issue. Yes, Lowry acted like a jerk in the heat of the moment, but he immediately recognized it and apologized for it. That should have been the end of it. Girl is out for revenge and money and goes to the DA. Story comes out, is embarrassing for Lowry. He'll have to pay a small fine, she will try to squeeze more money out of this, he will have learned his lesson.

It's not right how he talked to her, but it seems like an immature kids' fight, with no real consequences. She threw the ball at him as well.

In summary, no big deal.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle Lowry tossed a ball at a refs torso and shoulder.

It all depends on how hard he threw it.

All we have is the ref's story, which is suspect at best.

Innocent until proven guilty.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lowry should pull a Larry Flynt and countersue...

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am not surprised an islamaphobe is also a misogynist. Why don't you go back to d&d and troll there?

18. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

What's to prove? Multiple people have confirmed what happened.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He wuz framed.

20. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

He had anger problems before he got here. Its prob one ofthe reasons why the grizz gave up on him so early. He stayed a good citzen for us because..... well he had 25 milliion reasons to.