1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry charged with Battery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaosDirtyStache, Jan 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Zergling

Zergling Member

Anyone that wants to kick Violet Palmer's ass is a fan of mine. Just sayin!

2. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

No where does it say that Lowry threw the second one.

3. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

I agree with this for the most part. I'm not prissy enough to even be worried about the ball hitting me but the embarrassment of being called out my name the in front of who knows how many people, and wanting to kick his ass (and possibly attempted to) I used to fight my brothers all the time I wouldn't have saw this any different, but this was soft of a professional setting which changes it. Yes I would have been pissed that he would hit me with a ball but being called her out my name is different. I don't even call my girlfriends b****es. I don't have homeboys that call females b****es well in my presence at least, nor dated a guy who called me a b****. I still wouldn't have took it to that extreme. I would have took that apology (still pissed off) and went on my merry way, but that's just me. I still think it's money involved.

4. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Exactly... For moves where you prevent them from jumping into traffic or doing something to a child or hurting themselves... Basketball Man, to the rescue!... :grin:

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lowry hasn't denied throwing the second ball at her either. That is what she is claiming, and there are witnesses who verified it. So I think I'll give the ref and the witnesses the benefit of the doubt instead of implying they are liars to protect the guy I root for on the team.

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It was prob just for basketball reasons.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I have no respect for a man who strikes those weaker than himself. Maybe that's just the way I was raised.

Why are people making excuses for the guy? What if it was your mom he hit? Would you write the stuff you wrote above?

What if your mom took a parking space from him and he cursed her out and threw a box of frozen peas at her as hard as he could. But then he apologized. Would you tell your mom not to be so hard on him?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Your welcome. I guess I am just older and most of these posters are too young or too much of a blind fan and can't separate out the difference between the man and the player. I think their fandom clouds their thinking and I hope under normal circumstances they would not think they way they do now.

I hate that Lowry did this too. And it doesn't mean I won't root for him as a player. But I have lost respect for the guy, no doubt.

9. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

If the ref was a guy it prob would not have got this far from a legality standpoint. Females only want equal rights when it benefits them, speaking in general terms here. I am in no way advocating guys fighting females but I do question how hard Lowry actually threw the ball. If it was as hard as she is making out to be then surely she would have been bruised. I was not there so ultimately I don't really care. And I am not a blind fan bc I don't put people on pedestals, including females.

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

For the most part, well said. I also wonder if Lowry actually "wound up" and heaved the ball at referee. I do not condone hitting a woman under any circumstances, but if he just tossed the ball at her and she wasn't looking (again I do not know the specifics, nor was I there to see it) I would not consider that battery.

If he did say the things and put all of his effort in throwing the ball at her, then he deserves everything coming his way. Part of being a professional athlete is your attitude and demeanor. This will likely be taken care of and forgot about shortly but for Lowry's sake and the people that consider him a role model with his heart and playing mentality, this does not look good.

I am an athlete and I have played sports my entire life until college and it is very easy to lose your composer in the heat of the moment. The "Professionals" should be able to control themselves no matter the situation. They get paid crazy amounts of money and are the best of the best at what they do. Perhaps Lowry is not as mature as some have thought.

I just hope this does not have any negativity in the locker room.

11. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Agreed on both parts. But this is out of character, especially for a meaningless game, for Lowry so I honestly feel like we are only hearing one side to the story. Obviously Lowry is not going to talk about it yet and prob never will. He has nothing to gain by telling his side to the media. Just let his lawyers handle this and leave it to courts. Even though it should have been squashed on the basketball court, pun intended.

12. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Wow, so many people riding the big high horses.

As much as he is a scumbag for doing this, you don't go to the law about it. Especially since there were no injuries incurred(you know it would be the first thing mentioned if there were).

It's all about the money. If Joe Bloggs threw a ball at her that worked at Mcdonalds earning the minimum wage she'd be on her way. Multi-millionaire is a new story (also on the front page of ESPN...).

Let's keep it real.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup. My fandom definitely did cloud my thinking. Now that I've had time to think.
    Still, if the worst Lowry is going to do is throw basketballs at peoples faces, I think we're all lucky. Regarding Lowry's apparent temperament, it'd be a plague on the Rockets PR wise if he were to instead start fights outside everywhere and start shooting people.

Or riding around with dual shotguns on his back a la Delonte West.

I guess I don't blame her. If someone threw a ball at me I'd definitely do all in my power, no matter who they are to ruin their lives and extract the most money out of them as legally (and perhaps illegally) possible. Still shocking to see this happen completely unprecedentedly.

14. Knetk30

Knetk30 Member

You're distilling the situation into the "big bad wolf vs. little red riding hood". Lowry's actions is certainly a red flag and he wouldn't be the first athlete to appear congenial but have a dark side, but how about we wait and see how Lowry behaves moving forward, especially since he has never been cited for poor behavior in the past. And part of being a man is admitting when you're wrong and correcting your behavior.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I said it again....this will NOT happen in years....LOCKOUT caused this.....more pick up games......more irrelevant stuff going on.....AND SHE IS A UNPROFESSIONAL REF

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I see a lot of posters speculating that Kyle threw a ball at this woman's head, but I don't see any mention of it in any of the reports I've read. Where is this coming from?

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

If Joe Blog did this he also wouldn't have a bunch of people defending him

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It sure would not matter.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You realize he threw a basketball at a ref right? You talk about the guy like he cheated on his wife, bet on basketball games he's played in, or took steroids. He threw a basketball at a ref. You know how many average deaths per year are reported from basketballs being thrown at people? He didn't get drunk and get behind the wheel (like some other notable Rockets have), he didn't stab a guy, he didn't get busted for pot possession. He threw a basketball at someone who has spent their respective career around the sport and for all intents and purposes should be able to catch said ball with relative ease. That's it.

He's human, he let his emotions get the best of him, but who in their right mind thinks this is nothing more than a situation could be solved with some heartfelt words. The guy apologized. I've been enraged like that before, it's part of just being passionate about what you're doing. If anyone can't understand this situation, and how easily things can get a bit out of control, then they must be devoid of emotion.

The woman deserves nothing more than an apology. If she wants him to pay more than that to her, then I think that's a comment on her character.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

OK, so a basketball player threw a box of frozen peas at my mom. Judging the fact that my mom just got hit, the first thing I would do is file charges against the player, not wait oh, I dunno, 4-5 months? And I certainly wouldn't file a charge of battery over it, maybe assault would be more apt. Heck, I'll probably just forget filing and just go straight to the settlement.

Fact is, he threw a basketball at a ref. That deserves a penalty of some sort, maybe a fine, a settlement and some hours of community service. Its not worth "losing respect" over a class act like Kyle Lowry. Throwing a ball at someone does not equal battery.That's slapping someone and getting charged with manslaughter