1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry charged with Battery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaosDirtyStache, Jan 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

RR,

You can not on one hand call someone else classless than prove what you way is meaningless a couple of posts later.

DD

2. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Like China cares about women...

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Mo' money mo' problems..

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She didn't go after him a half year later she went after him immediately. This is not a civil case it is criminal. Do you understand how the justice system works?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Because saying you are sorry is great for a five year old but it isn't when it comes to the law. Once you decide to attack another person....you can't just fix things by saying sorry.

No one has called him a piece of crap. Nothing she did warrants lowrys action. Nothing. What kind of screwed up world do we live in when it's ok to hit someone because you disagree with them? Are you guys adults or kids?

It has nothing to do with his play. This goes beyond basketball.

6. Halfback10

Halfback10 Rookie

just a dumb referee. screw them stupid referees on a power trip.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The report never said what kind of injuries she took from it. Bruises?
    Irreparable damage? Shellshocked?

I don't know about you but in other parts of the world this won't be subject to the court.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

So you would consider him soft if he came from let's say.. The Hamptons?

9. Manny33

Manny33 Member

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but would the ref have reported the offense to the police if the CBA had not expired? Wouldn't an infraction such as this, at a sporting event, be normally dealt with within the sporting authority's auspices? Take for example the bans and fines for players going into the stands to attack fans. I know it was an exhibition, but I'm sure the NBA has authority over exhibitions in the US.

If the CBA was not in place, then presumably the NBA had no authority at the exhibition and over the players. Therefore, the referee could not get redress from the league and so had to look for it elsewhere.

Sorry if this comes across as making me seem clueless, but you would normally expect these cases dealt with in-house..

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are right. In places like Saudi Arabia they would just stone the woman to death for working and being around sweaty men.

I guess I just don't understand why you can't acknowledge that Lowry is in the wrong on this one.

11. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

He just forgot to say think fast.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That wasn't in the news report. They only named Lowry for throwing the first ball, which she was hit in the torso at the end of the game (makes it sound like he threw it into her stomach while she was standing there, which is pretty common thing to do with a basketball when upset). The reports didn't say if he threw the 2nd ball later on, as she was bent down.

According to the police report, she did not see Lowry throw the 2nd ball, despite being hit in the front. Seems odd to me you couldn't see where a high velocity basketball cam from that hit you in the front. You'd immediately look up and see.

I'm just giving Lowry the benefit of the doubt. I don't know what he did, or didn't do. You would prefer to make assumptions of his guilt that not even the accuser was capable of making.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you are going the other extreme in your condemnation. What a lot of us wonder is that we have never seen Lowry having violence problem in any NBA game he has played so far. Does that make him innocent for THIS incident? No. But it does make it seem an isolated case rather than something that defines the guy's character.

Also, you seem to be down playing a couple of things. First, apology while not a factor in a lawsuit, it still shows that the person is remorseful of what he did. It is an indicator of the nature of the confrontation, i.e. not a premeditated violent act. Second, if he really wanted to hurt the woman, he wouldn't have thrown a basketball. I mean, a basketball? He would have hit her with his fist or something. It looked very much like a heat of the moment thing that is not entirely uncommon in a gym.

Besides, we still don't know what had caused Lowry's anger toward the ref.

14. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Throwing basketballs at women is a no-no unless it's a life or death situation...

15. Miracles Boys33

I still think there's a big chunk of this story missing

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its a joke dude. I didn't think that post warranted a "JK", but I guess it flew over your head big boy. Love how you are digging through all my posts to find a way to justify your actions though. Funny DD!

17. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

this should not be happening to Kyle... there's a lot of worse people out there.

18. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Thank you for that. I've been trying to not post because I've been frankly amazed at some of the responses here....there's very little that justifies battery, short of protection of self or one's family. As a female, I can imagine how I would've felt if I'd been purposely hit by a world class athlete throwing a ball at me, particularly if the throwing at the head part is true. That would hurt - a lot.

It's not just the physical pain, but the humiliation of a highly paid "star" thinking he could get away with striking a 'nobody' and her not be able to retaliate, and possibly the humiliation of a female knowing that she couldn't physically fight him (and his calling her out to meet him after the game would suggest he thought so too).

RE: 'women in the kitchen':

As a female, let me go on the record that I don't think females should play in the NBA or other professionally organized sports on the same team as men, nor do I believe that women should be in combat on the front lines. It's not a matter of chauvinism, but simply of biology - women aren't physically built the same as men...and as inspiring as the movie "GI Jane" was, it's the rare woman that can compete physically with a male in something that requires that amount of physicality/brute strength.

Still, there's a difference between head to head competition, and something like refereeing - the lady referee only needs stamina to be able to keep up with the players up and down the court, know the game and know the calls. She should have been able to do that with no problems, particularly as it wasn't an NBA professional game.

I can maybe see throwing a ball at a ref during the heat of a game - maybe - but the following to the locker room is something else entirely. I'd venture to guess that this is probably what prompted the criminal charges.

I hate that Lowry did this, and believe he probably IS sorry that he did it, but it's done and he'll have to face the consequences. Monetarily, it's certainly nothing for him to pay a thousand dollars...but I can tell you my opinion of him as a man (not the player) has suffered, at least.

19. ipa

ipa Member

Like she's pointing a gun at your kid's head and you trow the basketball to divert the bullet...

20. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

Not saying what he did was right, but it could have been much worse. He could have Chris Brown'd her. I think she's just after money and giving him a bad name like a lot of others stated. It was surprising to me like everyone else that he would even say that not alone to a woman, or even hit her with a basketball. He did apologize but I guess it wasn't enough.