1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Jordan Hill? Any updates?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Feb 25, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

In this microwave society, we want everything now. Some players take longer especially big guys. He has talent and skill, his hard work and dedication will determine how good he will turn out. Adelman doesnt give games away at all. I'm not saying playing hill is giving games away, but the rockets aren't going anywhere and he should play 20 mins a night in my opinion. In the summer, hopefully we will see a more comfortable player playing. In any sport played on a high level, if you think,you stink. Playing should be natural and reactionary vs just always thinking about what to do.

2. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF
    02-03 CLE 81 54 25.3 0.536 0.000 0.771 2.5 5.0 7.5 1.3 0.7 0.6 1.27 2.77
    PPG
    this is carlos boozer rookie year stats played alot and only averged 10 points a game

Jordan hill has played garbbage min. started playing b-ball in hi senior year in high school so please stop calling hinm a bust he just needs time even the great ones sometimes need time to adjust hes 22 alot of u hill haters have to realize he is only 22 first year
    u talk about the guy like he is in his 8th season and 32 lol please stop hating on him im sure in the offseason he will really have time to get it together and show the non belivers

In morey i trust, he hasnt steered us wrong yet ;)

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well it looks like he wrecked his car....

Via Twitter:

4. SunsRocketsfan

I think it is obvious with Morey saynig he wants to draft a big man to replace landry and the zero mins he is getting that he is most likely going to be used as trade bait in the offseason. Don't want to play him and ruin his stock since he still has the big "P" word around his name.

5. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

I remember Clutchfans peoples said Brooks is a bust back in 2008. Sacramento was very high on Brooks, they offered Artest for Brooks+ fillers and Morey rejected them and everyone was bashing Morey. You guys need to be patient, Jordan Hill has same potential as Brooks, sometimes it's hard for rookies to adjust NBA in just one year. Adelman is a rookie-friendly coach, he will give the opurtinity to Hill to show himself. Just wait and be patient, he IS NOT A BUST!

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Landry, Brooks, Scola, and Budinger all started with garbage minutes off the bench. They turned out well. Is Morey a drafting genius or is Adelman good at developing? I don't know, but it seems to be working better than most teams who develop 2nd round picks and late 1st rounders.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The difference is Morey or Adelman didn't draft Hill. There is no evidence they even wanted Hill. You heard the Rockets staff say they were surprised by Hills abilities which means these coaches didn't even bother to watch any film on this guy. Which makes me believe that Hill was just a throw in to make the trade work or worse Hill was already a fail to new York who insisted the Rockets take him to hide that embarrassment.

I don't know what he will be. His story hasn't been written yet. I will even concede after watching some film from his college days he looks better than what I thought previously. (see below) The problem seems to be his ability to tranfer that to the pros. I hope I am wrong but I wouldn't bet on him helping us a lot next year.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IuVZ6OErGFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IuVZ6OErGFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was said from the beginning that the Rockets were interested in Toney Douglas and Jordan Hill...

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I'm pretty sure the Rockets will try to package Hill along with their draft pick to either move up in the draft or to get one of those free agents.

10. BetterThanEver

If you watched the press conference introduction for Hill, Morey said the trade for Hill and draft picks would make it easier to do a sign and trade for a big man.
    Morey only took Hill, because NY didn't have Bosh, Amare, or other premier big man. He only took Hill and draft picks, because those were the best assets that NY provided.

11. BetterThanEver

He mentions the NY trade positioning him to make a run at a free agent in a sign and trade. It's at about the 6 or 7 minute mark.
    <object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=rockets&videoId=teams/rockets/2010/02/19/PressConKMartTrade021910wmv-1236114" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=rockets&videoId=teams/rockets/2010/02/19/PressConKMartTrade021910wmv-1236114" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

12. BetterThanEver

Oops. wrong conference.

Here's the right one. It's at the 16:20 min mark, he starts the talk about free agents. At 17:20, he says they are more in it with the trade.

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=rockets&videoId=teams/rockets/2010/02/18/PressConKMartTrade021810wmv-1235553" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=rockets&videoId=teams/rockets/2010/02/18/PressConKMartTrade021810wmv-1235553" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

13. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

LOL!!! (laughs head off)

14. BetterThanEver

Houston driving is more dangerous than NYC. Jordan Hill can vouch for that.

15. trugoy

trugoy Member

Other than potential, how is he any better than Mikki Moore?

Jump shooting big man who can't do anything with the ball and relies on his length and leaping ability to rebound but lacks the core strength to maintain position.

He doesn't seem to have a good motor either, not really active either offensively or defensively.

I can understand why they don't want to put him in the dleague because if he plays a ton of minutes and doesn't do well, his trade value could be zero come the summer, better to hide him and teams could still be interested due to his potential and his draft pedigree.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This.

The truth is likely somewhere in between. While I definitely think Hill was taken too high, I'm not ready to label him a "bust" quite yet. Morey even admitted that the Rockets had him ranked in the top 10-20 range in that draft. But you're probably right about the Rockets not pursuing Hill as part of this trade. While his salary wasn't necessary to make the trade work under the salary cap, it was necessary in order for the Knicks to accomplish their objective of opening up enough cap space to offer two max contracts. I have been saying this all along. It's not that Hill sucks. And it's not that the Rockets wanted Hill. It was totally a move by New York to open up maximum cap space.

That was coming out of New York and was total BS. Just like all the reports (again, out of New York) that Donnie Walsh was not willing to trade Hill. It was obviously BS, since New York HAD to dump Hill's $2.7M salary for 2010-11 in order to have enough cap space to offer two max contracts. They couldn't dump Eddy Curry's $11.2M salary. Toney Douglas's $1M salary wasn't enough to open up that much cap space. And Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler are better players than Hill. So there was literally NO ONE ELSE to trade. It had to be Hill in the trade. Morey's insistence was always about the 2011 pick swap and the 2012 pick, with as little protection as possible.

Agreed 100% (unless Hill surprises the hell out of the Rockets in the next 25-30 games).

17. LifeisButaDream

We did not want or draft jeffries ether but we play him.I wonder why?Its not the coaches job to about rookies who don't get playing time.That's Morey's job and it sounds of this he does.<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=rockets&videoId=teams/rockets/2010/02/18/PressConKMartTrade021810wmv-1235553" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=rockets&videoId=teams/rockets/2010/02/18/PressConKMartTrade021810wmv-1235553" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

18. BetterThanEver

Hill is locked into a rookie contract for a few years. Jordan's biggest problem right now is lack of strength. Playing him more won't help with that.

Jeffries has a large guaranteed contract that makes it hard for him to be traded, so the rockets are stuck with him until next season. If he has season ending surger on his needs, the Rockets are still stuck with him. They can play him until he suffers career ending injury, because nobody wants him.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here.

But Jared Jeffries was acquired for the express purpose of acquiring the 2011 pick swap and 2012 pick that came with being willing to take on his contract, which is why you will never hear me complaining about why the Rockets have Jeffries on the roster.

The reason Jeffries is playing over Hill right now is because Jeffries is much more advanced defensively than Hill and is able to contribute on that end for the Rockets right now.

And if you're saying that Morey must obviously like Hill because he is saying complimentary things about him, what the hell is he supposed to be saying? The media is asking questions about Hill because he is a recent lottery pick. Is Morey supposed to just admit that he was included because New York needed to dump salary? No. He's going to talk him up as much as possible (without overplaying his hand in case Adelman doesn't play him) in order to maximize Hill's trade value this summer.

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

I don't know about that, there's other pogo stick players like javale mcgee, Ryan Hollins, that's doing much better than him, I think his biggest problem is his lack of motor.