1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Luis Scola Start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Dec 28, 2007.

?

Do You want Luis Scola to start?

1. Yes Scola should start

341 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No he should keep coming off the bench

97 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Alot of members has said he should start.

My main problem with this is do you want Chuck Hayes coming off the bench and provide almost little to no offense?

Remember that Pops had Ginobili come off the bench because the Spurs weren't getting any scoring from the bench.

And the guy that Scola reminds me of also came off the bench alot of his career; Kevin McHale. Has that same herky jerky moves and kinda snakes his way to the basket on his post moves. Of course Scola doesn't have the all the low post moves McHale had, but not too many players this side of Hakeem had Kevin's reportiore.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Simple answer: Yes. And McGrady should think about how he can keep Scola involved even when he is playing. Minute distribution should be something like Scola 30, Hayes 22 (Scola will play 4 minutes at C).

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fine if he comes off the bench as he is still adjusting. I've advocated starting head over shane to give us more offense, but now i'm thinking that it's ok to start Hayes and Shane.

The reason is that we need some consistency - and it might help the team and with everyone getting comfortable if the rotation becomes a bit more predictable for a while as everyone is trying to get into the flow.

4. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Doesn't matter, as long as he can play more minutes, at least 30 min a game.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

poll is up, sorry I took my sweet time.

6. Omer

Omer Member

I think he's a good spark off the bench, keep him as is.

Need more than just an inconsistent Bonzi and Mike James off the bench to give us scoring.

7. YugoRocketsFan

Scola would benefit better with being a starter and starter's minutes.

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Of course, Yes. And its Adelman's job to design plays for him. During the America Cup, his shooting out of pick-n-roll simply reminded me what Malone can do with Stockton beside him.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I think he needs to keep having more of these 15+ point games and get more accustomed to large amount of minutes off the bench before starting.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He's good coming off the bench, because he keep it consistent. Plus, I think Chuck's defense is needed against the monsters of the West.

I don't think Scola is ready defensively to slow certain players down.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Chuck would work fine coming off the bench. He may even be a little more productive, playing against lesser bench players from the opposing team.

When Tracy and Yao are in the lineup together, there's a tendency to run everything through those two. I think it's important to get another guy in that starting group you can run plays for, just so things aren't so predictable.

Mike/Steve shouldn't start. I just don't think they have it in them anymore. Brooks has looked very good the last few games, but he's still unproven. Rafer stays, for now.

You could sub in Luther or Bonzi for Shane. I think Luther works better off the bench, because he's a poor matchup against opposing big 2s. Bonzi gives you an more potent scorer, but you lose on defense and 3-point shooting.

Scola gives us, essentially, a better Juwan Howard. He can hit the mid-range jumper, but more importantly he's good going after loose balls and he's decent finishing in traffic. Defensively, he plays hard, though not always smart. I can live with that.

Another possibility is using Bonzi in place of Chuck. I liked this idea not too long ago, but Scola played so well today that I'm warming up to the idea of him starting.

12. zong

zong Member

Yes, specially when Tmac is out, but Rick A scares this change at this point whrn the team needs win every game.

13. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Well even if he does start, the problem with him is still foul trouble. Until he gets that down, whether he starts or not...he'll have trouble staying on the floor for extended periods.

But as long as he plays smart, hell I'd play him all 48.

14. Seth

Seth Member

I think he should keep coming off the bench but he has to play around 30-35 mins a night.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He needs to play more, whether it is as a starter or part of the bench mob...but the guy has some major skills.

Last 3 games....Scola is averaging

18 ppg and 8.3 rebounds....

Very nice !

DD

#15 DaDakota, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  16. koreyby

koreyby Member

Yes, Scola is a Diamond in the team. Hope Brooks get more time too.

17. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I don't think he should start, he provides an offensive spark and hustle off the bench. He just needs more playing time.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

In the last 3 games, Scola is the team's leading scorer -- ahead of both Yao and T-Mac (limited time), who averaged 17.3 and 17.0 respectively.

Scola: 18.0 points on over 61% shooting and 8.3 boards in 27 minutes per over the last three games. Pretty impressive.

19. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

Your starting lineup is ?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey great numbers Clutch....wish I would have noticed that....like oh, say...2 posts earlier....heheh

;)

All kidding aside, it was nice to see Scola utilized in the post, he is very crafty there, and I think that is another area the Rockets need help.

IMO, Scola is the 2nd best post player on the Rockets, he needs to be down there some.

DD

#20 DaDakota, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007