1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Luis Scola Start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Dec 28, 2007.

?

Do You want Luis Scola to start?

1. Yes Scola should start

341 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No he should keep coming off the bench

97 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. fanwq

fanwq Member

Definitely!
    Yes.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Scola has lead the team 5 times in scoring. 4 of which we lost...

3. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

that is really really good. leading scorer in 3 straight? who would have known?

scola is a force to reckon with, and although i voted above for him to start, i think hayes will be even worse if he comes off the bench. IF scola starts, i think we will see mutumbo off the bench much more. i think adelman really has started to like scola being a backup 5, then switching to the 4 after yao is done resting.
    personally, i think we must have a trade for another strong 4. package luther, snyder, francis, etc.
    get it done morey!

4. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Once Scola either gets a haircut or quits playing with his hair like a woman, then I'm all for him starting.

5. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

One point: he had Many Open Shots! (but inspiringly, he made those shots.)

6. ind0fo0

i see your point. BUT it is not because he was scoring alot that we lost. it is because tmac and yao could not score period. i know one of these games was verse the spurs (maybe on a second game of a back to back).
    furthermore, scola is getting the most minutes in losses, which is why he seems to be doing better when the rockets are losing.
    i know that ESPN had some of this chat on its rookie watch- lost free membership, though.

7. blender

blender Member

Playing Scola off the bench allows Adelman to substitute him for either Yao or Hayes, depending on the matchups and foul situations. It also gives Scola more time to be the main post scorer when Yao's out.

So IMO, unless we get pick up another PF/C, keep playing Scola off the bench, but gradually give him starter's minutes.

8. ind0fo0

sounds good. i agree ;)
    now we just need to wait until we get a solid PF for all the bench warmers

9. MeatAndPotatoes

who would come in for Yao whenever he's dry-heaving? Deke?? no srsly.... Deke??? .......nnnNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

10. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Even after T-Mac returns, I'm also thinking the same thing about Head, which is start him over Shane, and get T-Mac to playing at his more natural position of SF.

As for the All Star Game, I wouldn't have a problem seeing T-Mac and Kobe play at the same time if T-Mac would end up playing at the SF position with Kobe still playing SG, and with either Steve Nash or Tony Parker at PG.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Perhaps the most important thing in the NBA is confidence. Actually screw perhaps. Confidence is the most important thing.

Lack of confidence can turn a hot shooting Nick Anderson into a "F**k! my career is over" in about the time it takes to shoot two free throws.

[​IMG]

Conversely, confidence can make a rookie attempt AND make a big three in closing seconds of a Finals game.

[​IMG]

my bad.....stored both images under same folder.... trying again...

[​IMG]

IMO, it is apparent by now that both Brooks and Scola have the physical tools and skills to succeed. They still lack confidence because they are worried about making mistakes and perhaps losing their limited minutes.

They both need to be injected into the starting lineup to build up their confidence and experience. Adelman needs to tell them to just go out and play hard without worrying about making mistakes and missing shots. Some of their shots at times looks like they are measured because they are afraid to mess up.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually, with Tmac out, I think Scola should start, we could use a little more offense in the starting 5.

And what I like about Scola is that right after he shot that Airball from 18 feet, on the very next possession he took basically the same shot and nailed it.

THAT is how you do it....no hesitation baby !

DD

13. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

Good bites.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Nice to see you finally coming around to the idea of Hayes coming off of the bench.

As for subbing Luther or Bonzi in for Shane, I hope you don't mean replacing him in the starting lineup. Shane is a better defender than either of them, can create his own shot, moves well without the ball, takes charges, basically everything we need in the starting lineup.

15. ind0fo0

LMAO! FUNNIEST POST OF 2007.

NICE ONE ZBOY!!!! :D :D :D
    w00t!

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

I voted to start him because that will give him a real confidence boost. Let him be our primary PF and get into grove, not a off-bench sub. He had been a starter and star for TAU so many years, he doesnt know how to play as a bench player. Right now he is getting wide open shots, if he can hit'em at a 50% clip, and active as he is already right now, we have a pretty good PF. Play him at least around 30 min, and Chuck actually is a good bench player with energy.

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Scola should start, and have Hayes come in when Battier goes out to keep a hustle guy on the floor at all times.

Rafer, Battier, Hayes are a big deficiency in the starting unit, so changing one of those makes a lot of sense.

Battier is the Rockets best 3 pt shooter this year, so keep him out there.

Rafer runs the offense better than anyone(and isnt quite the defensive liability that Brooks is).

If Scola starts, and with T-Mac healthy, our bench brigade would be Hayes, Bonzi, Brooks, and Head. 3 scorers and a hustle guy.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think we just said the same thing. 100% agree. I wish Scola could only shoot as accurate as Jho. :D

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm good with the starting lineup Adelman is using while Tmac is out.

When Tmac comes back it's back to that same ol' starting lineup.

20. bbjai

bbjai Member

I voted no

there are a couple of reasons for this

First one is if Battier plays like he did today, calling for the ball posting up and nailing buckets on the mismatches, we really shouldn't have a that much a problem with Hayes.

Second one is that Hayes matches up with the best post player early, and he does it well. Scola cant guard the good 4's in the west very well. The only one I've seen him guard well so far is Gasol, who is doing horrible. Hayes takes defensive pressure off Yao and limits his fouls early in the game.

Third is sure Scola starting would give offensive punch to our starting unit, but you forget he plays backup centre as well. He still fouls at a decent rate. Until he improves that he'll have limited minutes. Starting him would rob us of a backup centre (Deke only comes on for special circumstances que today with Hayes on fouls and Yao on fouls).