1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Luis Scola Start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Dec 28, 2007.

?

Do You want Luis Scola to start?

1. Yes Scola should start

341 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No he should keep coming off the bench

97 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

My knee-jerk reaction is to immediately say, "Yes, Scola should start."

But let's not forget that Hayes totally SHUT DOWN Gasol, who at the moment is their best and most consistent player. Hayes's defense was unbelievable tonight. Gasol probably would have had Scola in foul trouble very quickly.

Also, I'm thinking Scola plays really well with the second unit and adds some scoring there.

All that said, I'm certainly not opposed to Scola starting, either. I'm thinking that eventually Adelman will start Scola once he can prove that he can consistently avoid bone-headed fouls.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've been open to that idea ever since Scola joined the team. I only insisted Chuck should start when the alternatives were Juwan Howard and Stromile Swift.

I don't think Shane moves well without the ball or creates his own shot, at all. He doesn't have the right mentality or physical tools to consistently get himself scoring opportunities.

#42 durvasa, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  3. ekim

ekim Member

Scola should start when Tmac is out for extra fire power. Just like how Juwan started last year instead of Chuck when Tmac got injured.

With Tmac in the lineup it's better start with Chuck.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

That's the problem. Shane is not a consistent scorer, BUT he can score, which Hayes cannot do. Replacing Hayes in the starting lineup with someone that is has any offense keeps the opposing defense honest and cuts down on the double teams that Yao and T-Mac will see. The benefits of bringing Hayes off the bench far outweigh what he has to offer while in the starting lineup.

5. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

No because we need a inside scorer when Yao goes to the bench

6. durvasa

Unless Scola goes to the bench at the same time, wouldn't we still have him on the court?

7. opticon

opticon Member

he is putting that crap all over the place

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

As I said, I think someone just got access to his account and is having fun with it....

9. StarLight's wAY

shrewd observation :cool:

i nominate heypartner for the culprit. :D

10. Sextuple Double

T-Mac in = no

T-Mac out = yes

........and Saint Louis has been hacked.

11. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

yes, please i dont want to see that ;) . I say keep Scola on the bench for now but give him starter's minutes at around 30 minutes per game. If he continues to show improvements on defense, adjusting to foul trouble, and being a consistent offensive producer, he should start by the ASB.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

That's funny because you didn't seem too open to it just over a month ago when I suggested that it was beyond time for Hayes to come off the bench.

:confused:

Consistent scoring, no (like I already said), but he has the skills to be a reliable scorer, which Chuck will never be. Then again, we don't need Shane to be a consistent scorer, but just keep defenses from collapsing on Yao and T-Mac. With Hayes on the court at the same time as Shane and Yao and/or T-Mac, it's like playing 5 on 4. And yes, Shane's ability to move without the ball, get open looks and occasionally create his own shot will only benefit, Yao, T-Mac and the Rockets as a whole.

13. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Sure he should start.
    But, I don't think it matters if he does or not.

As long as he gets his minutes
    and others look for him.

Hopefully, it won't be too late,
    but this team will find its identity.

... Scola, AB, Bonzi and Head will be a part of it.

14. durvasa

I might have disagreed strongly with some of your arguments. That doesn't mean I was against the idea of Scola replacing Chuck in the starting lineup (or, conversely, him remaining as a starter for the time being). It's one of those situations where I could see the reasoning either way. Both Chuck and Luis have their particular strengths and weaknesses. But Luis is improving, and I think the offense from the rest of our bench players is coming around, so it's looking like a better idea to bring him into the starting lineup.

I like Shane in the starting lineup too, just not for those reasons. You don't play him because he can create his own shot or because he moves without the ball well. I think those are weaknesses in his game.

I agree that the Rockets are often playing "5 on 4" on offense, but I would say it's more like Chuck and Shane are both 1/2 players, then Chuck is a total 0. Chuck's averaging over 3 offensive boards and 2 assists a game in the last 5. That's a pretty good contribution for a guy playing 25 mpg.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If Scola was starting he would be ROY. I like to have his offense off of the bench though. It is deifnitly a change of pace from Chuck Hayes. I would like him to start but if he doesn't at least get him more minutes.

The one thing that kind of worries me is if T-Mac will involve him more. I feel with T-Mac in the game he tends to take quick shots rather than running something. When I watched tonights game I saw a lot more movement and much more attacking of the basket. It is a completely different offense to me when T-Mac is out of the game.

16. fayesun

fayesun Member

a very smart player...
    Shane and Scola are both intelligent players

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I said it during the Americas tournament.

Luis Scola has the potential to be the Rocket's 3rd best player.

It is on Rick Adelman to make that happen.

IT'S ON YOU RICK!!!

:D

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

He doesn't need to start but he needs to get starter minutes and be more of a focus.

19. TMc1

TMc1 Member

Heck no! Who's gonna replace YAO if he starts? Motonbo has proved he couldn't play the intensive pace any more. Plus we need to reserve him for the small line-up against teams like worries & suns... It's not like he can't co-exist with YAO but we need to reserve him for best of the team.

20. jerrylck

jerrylck New Member

Yes, the games were simply more entertaining when he's in and carrying bigger offensive load (especially without Tmac on the court). Well... the turth is Scola doesn't fit in Tmac's playing style... or speak in another way, Tmac did bad on involving Scola on the offense, he's just treated Scola as another Hayes, an unarmed no.4, get "too" used to it.

I know I know, Hayes is a good player... But

It's Time
    It's Time to develope a third scoring option. (Can't count on Battier & Alston)
    It's Time to let Tmac understands Power Foward can score
    It's Time to let Scola develope his game
    It's Time to Attack