1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Luis Scola Start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Dec 28, 2007.

?

Do You want Luis Scola to start?

1. Yes Scola should start

341 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No he should keep coming off the bench

97 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

IMO, it doesn't even matter. Both he and Chuck bring something to the game the other lacks. They'll both be useful however we split the minutes. However, Chuck was good off the bench a few years ago so I would have no problem starting Scola if his production spikes.

2. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Especially now with Bonzi out, we need that spark off the bench. AB and Scola seem to have really good chemistry. He should come in whenever AB does.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's such nonsense, if you are insinuating that Scola getting more shots is the reason we lost. The opposite is true: We were losing anyway and that was the only way at that point in time that Scola was getting more minutes. He brought us closer in each of these games, but the hole just happened to be too deep already.

4. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

I've spent a year in Argentina playing Basketball and dude this guy has a lot fans!!

Ohhh yeah by the way....He would be 100% more effective starting but I'm happy with him getting at least 27 mins+

5. seaweed

seaweed Member

We need points from our bench. So I'd say no to this question. But he should be given more playing time than Hayes.

6. blastaway

blastaway Member

It still amazes me how many people think that our starting lineup must be good enough and they don't want changes. :eek:

Scola is the OBVIOUS best choice to change the starting lineup, although we need three changes in the starting lineup to be a contender.

Shane played great last night, but if history holds up, he will disappear for some games now. Let's hope he can all of a sudden start to play completely different for the rest of the year and make last night the beginning of his change.

Rafer starting is just not acceptable. People claiming AB is not ready because he is a rookie just don't get it about Wafer. He was still what, 4-13 last night? Steve really hasn't gotten a fair chance completely. He had three bad games, two of which he only played a half in. Rafer has had what, maybe 20 something bad games? I say start AB also and let Steve get some minutes.

The main question will always remain "when will Rick Adelman decide to change the starting lineup without having an injury?" If not Scola, then who will ever break this starting lineup in his mind? I guess he thinks JVG's team of last year will take him to the title. :confused:

7. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

The Rockets need a power forward who can play defense and who has at least a bit of offense. Something to keep the other team honest. Chuck Hayes just doesn't fit that bill. He works hard and plays good defense most nights but his lack of offense makes him a liability overall. This is the only reason it might be dangerous to start Luis over Hayes as he would provide no offense of the bench but I still say start Luis.

8. cyjtsj

cyjtsj Member

Totally agree................

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Chuck should start against great offensive PFs like Dirk and Boozer, Scola against everyone else.

10. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Everyone is saying to either start one or the other. How about going by matchups? Against post players start Chuck. Against perimeter players or overall offensively poor players start Scola.

Overall I'd say start Scola. It's not like we cannot sub Chuck in if Scola gets destroyed the first three possessions down court. The first substitution doesn't have to be with two minutes left in the 1st quarter.

11. Rowdie Brandon

I thought he should've been starting for a while now......the whole reason why we got him was, because we didn't think Chuck was good enough to start on a contending team....we're far from a contending team, but Scola is the best PF we have and he should/should've been starting.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous argument. As deep as this team is on paper, we are not so deep that we can continue leaving a huge hole in the starting lineup (Hayes) while the instant fill (Scola) for that hole is coming off the bench.

First off, Scola was not brought here to be Yao's backup. Mutombo must contribute or we might as well just mail it in now. Also, there are things called substitution patterns, like eMat semi-referred to. Who is to say that Yao and Scola will go out of the game at the same time? Scola can shift over when Yao goes out (allowing Hayes to come in at PF) or we can actually use Deke some, like we need to. I'm just rambling because it's ridiculous why so many people want to keep doing what clearly has not been working so far.

13. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I think that now he should be a 30+ min and until the playoffs, he should be 35+ min.
    yes, i think that he should start.

14. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

No. We need balance. Someone has to come from bench to attck.
    But he definitely need more minutes.
    Look at Ginobli. A sixth man doesn't mean you have less minutes.

15. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

scola is developed. it is just a matter of getting used to ****ty american referees. he was the MVP of the fiba americas this year for f-ing sake.

get him a bigger role!

16. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Scola seems to perform better when given more minutes. Given his upside, for that reason alone I'd say he should start.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would say Scola should come off the bench with the lineup as is, but give him 30 minutes a game.

If we can make some future trade for a good backup 4/5, someone who can score a little (sorry, Chuck), then move him to the starting lineup.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And Scola grabbed 18 offensive boards during the same 5 games, compared to 16 for Chuck. Luis also made 8-10 from the charity stripe. Chuck was 2-6, an improvement, believe it or not. He goes long stretches without a single free throw attempt, and shoots a horrific average. I won't even get into Scola's offensive abilities. It's absurd to continue to bring Luis off the bench and start Hayes.

Scola needs to start and get starter's minutes. Bring Chuck off the bench for his defense and when Scola moves to the 5. Our offense is getting killed by Chuck, as much as I love the guy. Start Scola!

#78 Deckard, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  19. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I agree, the Rockets will never run RA's offense if we don't have more guys that can shoot and score on the floor at the same time. Rick's system is all about motion and making the right pass to the open man. The thing is even when Chuck is open if he's not right under the basket he's no threat to score and passing him the ball is wasted motion.

We have the same situation with Alston at PG teams invite him to shoot because they know he's such a poor shooter. We will need to eventually replace him in the starting line up as well. Rockets must play 5 on 5 to be successful.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, the Rockets have been running the offense pretty well of late with the minutes the way they are.

In any case, I don't think it matters who starts. Scola will get minutes if he holds his own, particularly on the defensive end. Adelman has only limited Scola's minutes when he was clearly struggling. In these games, the would-be Scola minutes have not gone entirely to Chuck, either... I noticed a lot more of the Shane/Bonzi forward duo when Scola struggled.

In order to match up well defensively, Chuck will get his 20 or so mpg and rarely plays towards the end fo games (probably because his FT shooting would result in "Hack-a-Hayes" effectively stopping the Rockets).

The other 28 or so PF minutes and 10 or so Center minutes are all out there for Scola to grab. If his play warrants it, Scola can very well play starter-type minutes whether he actually starts or not.