1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curious Case of Kenneth Faried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 21, 2019.

1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Not only this but what vet min player that is available is not seriously flawed? Meanwhile we were jettisoning our entire draft just to get rid of other vet min players to avoid the tax. If the 10th through 15th player on your bench provides you anything at all consider it a blessing. He was in our rotation playing full minutes until the playoffs. Meanwhile Ryno, Knight, and Shumpert kept our bench warm over the last two years cashing close to $40M worth of checks that definitely would have made a real difference in the outcome.

hakeem94 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Here's my rant:

Did you take the time to review every second of his play in game 2 against the Warriors before replying?

I didn't make some hot take dude, I put work into my thoughts. Did you?

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Relax Don... not trying to be pissy with you...

but no, I didnt go and re-watch 5 mins in 1 game to evaluate the validity of your statement... bc again... its 5 minutes....

The guy played well for us when we brought him in... as you stated "Regular season Faried was a great success"... my point was 5 minutes shouldnt erase everything that came before...

When Harden either quit or forgot how to play basketball (depending on your opinion) in game 6 against SAS did we pull the plug? That was a whole game... No, we game him a supermax contract after that game...

I'm not trying to poo poo on your overall take... I'm still pissed that we didnt try to utilize Faried more in that series. Except for the last game, the team who won the rebounding battle won every game.

4. don grahamleone

Sorry, I'm not pissy. Not with you anyway. I was just using your language to craft my answer.

Okay, so Harden is a body of work. He deserves building around and the evidence that this is the case is clearly there.

Faried is a hired gun, hired to fill an isolated and specialized need. He wasn't filling it. If you watched the 5 minutes, I think you'd 100% agree with me. They targeted him on defense and made him look awful. He didn't grab any defensive boards, he was 100% ineffective on offense. It was a horrible mess. He really did deserve a seat.

I agree with your rebounding assessment. Rebounding should be our priority in the offseason.

D-rock and kjayp like this.
  5. kjayp

I think our ongoing problem is that oftentimes when somebody is performing below expectations - we kick them to the curb - done with you!

If we're going to win a championship, we need to diversify and get contributions from throughout our roster... and that means playing guys through rough patches... like we did with EGo...

It's like the year that we froze out D12... His efficiency was down so he got ignored on offense and we put the load on Harden... it got us into the playoffs (and therby costing us our draft pick from Lawson trade) and then we got bounced promptly in the first round... because 1 guy cant carry you through the playoffs...

Obviously Faried is a much smaller example... but also House... and to an extent Nene... its like if anybody stumbles they get written off and then we're struggling shorthanded or deprived of what that person brings to the table (ie rebounding)...

I hear all this talk of how MDA inspires confidence by telling guys to keep shooting - but is that really the case if they know if they hit a rough patch they are going to be banished to the bench?

My point is... MDA needs to play the cards in his hand (see the sig) - period. Every season our playoff rotation plays out like 'last man standing'

We coulda used farieds energy interspersed into that series - imo...

Little Bit, bj3175 and D-rock like this.
  6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

this would be a good idea if we were in rebuild mode. we simply dont have the time to continue to "wait and develop" players to increase our future championship odds.

i agree in that developing our own players is definitely a way to go but we simply just cant do it right now. our starting 5 isnt getting any younger, and capela is literally the only one who would be ok if we were still in a development phase.

as of right now, we have time against us. our star players are running out of time and we have to surround them with players that can make an impact right now. maybe once the harden era is over we will start to rebuild and start redeveloping our own players but as of right now thats just not our situation.

kjayp likes this.
  7. kjayp

Play to the hot hands (or experience) down the stretch... but you gotta try to get contributions from more guys throughout the game...
    Harden by himself wasnt enough...
    Runnin old guys like PJ and CP3 (and Ariza prior) into the ground isnt getting it done...
    and having guys in just to watch Harden iso isnt serving any purpose...

Harkening back to those previous championships... look at the contributions of Horry and Sam Cassell...

We seem to be of the frame of mind that the key to winning is to overload our key players... imo... a championship takes an entire team to reach the pinnacle.

We play/coach scared when push comes to shove...

tc0330 likes this.
  8. MC31B

MC31B Member

It worked until Faried started bricking corner shots.

9. MC31B

MC31B Member

And why does everyone think he won't come back because he was benched in the playoffs? It's not like Pringles was the first coach to not give him any playing time. I really don't think many teams are going to be interested in him.... Other than the Warriors who would somehow make him look like the second coming of Rodman.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Wanting playoffs time for Faried wasnt about Faried himself, its the guy in front Capela was stinking it up. And a change of look alone is possible improvement over that, mediocre over suck

Little Bit and don grahamleone like this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I hope your next review at work that your boss judges your whole year of work on 5 lousy minutes. Give me a “@&$” break!!!!! The man averaged a double double for us and was a frequent player of the game interview with that hot chick who seemed to have a crush on him. The little guard from Toronto struggled for a few minutes in game 1 of the series, but ended up a major hero because Nick Norse wasn’t an idiot like our coach.

12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

bro. couldnt agree more. this why i posted that shifting to more ball movement article. im hoping upper management does something to change that because i think we're better when we're passing the ball and making plays rather than the constant iso.

i know ive said this before but idk how else to express it. its a problem when the fans can call out the exact plays our team is making. that, alone, needs to change if we really wanna make it to the finals.

kjayp likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am 100% sure both faried and house would have been able to contribute vs gsw if they were playing on Raptors

kjayp likes this.
  14. don grahamleone

You're bias. Check out the evidence on video.

15. don grahamleone

He does play the cards he's dealt. Morey went and got him Faried. Faried rocked the regular season, but then started to show signs that he wasn't effective as before. Then Golden State comes up in the playoffs and exploits the guy over the course of 7 or so possessions. He takes him out because we can't win with someone that gets so far out of defensive position.

We lost the game by 6 points. Faried most definitely could've been the reason for that loss over the course of 7 poor defensive possessions, nevermind the worthless offense he played. A lot went wrong, but that was killer.

We can't just afford to throw out players that get exposed for that many minutes. It can cost you a close playoff game.

Yes, we could've used his energy, but not his terrible positioning, falling for up fakes, letting guys dribble by him, and not working for defensive boards. He could fix all of that, but he didn't. If he wasn't willing to listen backstage... then don't play him.. it'll be more of the same.

He was exposed, he needed to change, he didn't. HOWEVER.. he could change easy enough if he's willing to be coached up.

kjayp likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

But he had a 3 ball he was shooting 3s at 35% on 1 attempt a night. That tells you if he increased his attempts his 3 pt % would increase too. There was a time MDA played Capela, Faried and Tucker all at the same time they dominated the boards and played great D. I thought that was gonna be the lineup since it worked so well Dumbtoni went back to 100% iso and ultra small ball.

The roster isnt as bad as it looks its just if the coach is dumb the roster looks horrible lets remember Warriors with Marc Jackson vs Warriors with Kerr or Bucks eith their old coach vs Budenholzer.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's 0 reason a guy who put up 10 and 6 on 63% TS becomes total trash just because it is the playoffs if he did the coach used him wrong. Dumbtoni just assumed the half assed job he did in the regular season is enough to get results in the playoffs he is the coach with one of the largest season-playoff disparities in history for a reason. How many times has he had the no 1 seed but failed to get into the finals? With only 6 total plays in his playbook isnt it obvious his opponents are gonna crap all over him and expose all his players?

Faried is a good fit next to Harden the problem is he depends on energy and Dumbtoni lost his trust. Faried is like a dog he wears his heart on his sleeve when he is hyped then he plays great but when he is down he plays like trash thats why he couldnt get PT on the Nets.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. basketballholic

Wrong again. You haven't learned a thing.

19. kjayp

Isn't that the truth!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are here to Witness and not Learn things....

topfive likes this.