1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curious Case of Kenneth Faried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 21, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry, Mr. Miyagi.

Plowman, Vivi, kjayp and 1 other person like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kenny wasn’t benched.

He had a kid

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Does anyone have a link of this “horrendous, game/series costing 5 minutes?” That is a fair ask on your part. Just can’t imagine it being any worse than Iman’s defense and he was allotted a ton of minutes in the series.

hakeem94 and mastan like this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Very well written....this is spot on!!!!!

raining threes, kjayp and hakeem94 like this.
  5. mastan

mastan Member

KFaried was +2 in 5 min against GS... probably that's bad, he should've been -10..:D:D

kjayp likes this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have league pass so I got it on NBA.com. They still have the games there. I matched up the minutes found on play-by-play for that game and fast forwarded to his minutes.

In fairness to your Iman opinion, I have not analyzed his minutes. What I feel like I remember is how his offense against the Warriors looked completely stifled. Like the cat got his tongue sort of thing, but I'd have to look back at it.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. mastan

mastan Member

K Faried had 20 points/ 10 rebounds in 33 min. against Warriors when he started as PF in regular season 3rd game...

kjayp and don grahamleone like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Add that to the 'curious case'. Did they figure him out? Did he start playing like a dummy? Did he just crap the Golden State bed? It's a curiosity for me that's super peaked. Thanks for pointing out yet another reason for why I feel like I do.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Faried got hosed by D’Antoni during that game (5.22 minutes of Game 2 vs Warriors).

Rockets had 17 turnovers in this game while the Warriors had 12 turnovers.
    17 turnovers became 24 TOV pts while the 12 turnovers by the Warriors became 15 TOV pts..game was lost by 6 pts
    Eric Gordon had 3 TO’s
    Harden had 6 TO’s
    CP3 had 4 TO’s
    Rivers had 3 TO’s
    Capela had 1 TO
    Faried had No TO’s
    https://stats.nba.com/game/0041800222/

There was 4 lineups during that 5.22 minute period Faried played (Game 2):
    https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612745/lineups-traditional/?GameID=0041800222&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs&GameCode=20190430/HOUGSW

.................................................................Mins......pts....OReb.....DReb....Reb......Ast........TOV.......Stl.......Blks.....
    A) CP3/ Rivers/ Harden/ Tucker/ Faried: . 1.8.......3.........0.0........0.0.......0.0.......1.0.........2.0........1.0.......0.0.....
    B) CP3/ Rivers/ Shump/ Tucker/
    Faried: . 1.6.......3.........1.0........2.0.......3.0.......0.0..........0.0........0.0.......0.0.....
    C) GGreen/ Rivers/ Shump/ EGo/
    Faried:. 1.8......6.........1.0........1.0.......2.0.......1.0.........2.0.........0.0.......0.0...
    D) EGo/ Rivers/ Shump/ Tucker/
    Faried: ...0.2.....0.0.......1.0........0.0.......1.0.......0.0.........0.0.........0.0.......0.0

It’s a small sample size which was too small to pull the plug on Faried for the rest of the series, IMO. Not to mention
    that the small sample size was mostly increments of 1.8, 1.8 and 1.6 minute stretches....not exactly fair to
    judge a player during many substitutions, IMO.

House was also hosed unfairly......having to guard Durant. Durant scored like 32 points a game House played in and
    34 pts a game House did not play in. House did not guard Durant entirely by himself......but Durant shot over everybody. I feel D’Antoni panicked and ruled offense over defense instead of allowing players to settle down, possibly playing better after half time.

#89 ApacheWarrior, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    hakeem94, D-rock and kjayp like this.
  10. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Dude is a black hole on defense and provides no spacing on offense. He doesn’t rebound like he’s advertised to. He does bring energy but he’s a waste of a roster spot in my opinion

11. mastan

mastan Member

Your claim is not backed up by evidence or statistics.

So Rockets won game 3 regular season against GS playing a black hole for 33 min....

Faried playing for Rockets in 2018-2019 regular season averaged 8.2 rebounds playing 24.4 minutes on average... 1 rebound per 3 min...that's very good rebounding.

#91 mastan, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    D-rock, Little Bit and kjayp like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

imo... MDA signed on for Moreyball and has no control regarding the stars - so he overacts when it comes to something within his control - the bench...
    Harden is gonna walk the ball up... when not involved hes gonna be disinterested... CP3 is known for running his mouth... MDA isnt gonna risk his paycheck by addressing those issues... but he can bench Faried over a bad 5 mns... or pull House... or decide Nene doesnt need any minutes tonight...

mastan, hakeem94 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

That’s regular season
    You know why he didn’t play in the playoffs when we desperately needed someone like him? Because he is an absolute black hole on D

14. mastan

mastan Member

He wasn't played in playoffs...very limited.. he was actually +2 in 5 min. he played in one game against GS.

It is your fantasy not validated by stats or evidence.

Last year Nene was deemed unplayable against GS...the same Nene but one year older suddenly became playable this year. This is poor coaching by Dantoni... Nene was more playable last year.

Little Bit likes this.
  15. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

This guy can be signed again, I think we can try as his speed very suitable with westbrooks

leeallen and hakeem94 like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm concerned with how many people in this thread claim "facts and statistics" showed Faried was NOT a bad defender in the playoffs. He was a total turnstile.

Team plus minus is not a significant measure of defense. Defense is hard to find in a box score. The best measures of defense are what % of the time you're in the position you're supposed to be, what % of the time you force an opponent pass, opponent fg% at various areas, etc.

Unfortunately we don't have easy access to those. But I'm haunted by memories of Faried looking like he had never played team basketball on defense down the stretch and against the Jazz.

I wouldn't have minded more experimental minutes against the Warriors, but Kenneth Faried wouldn't change any of this team's current issues.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they would have absolutely crushed the league.... dont tell me they wouldnt... i think it was some non court issues rockets had with him... he was good here as per basketball play he was even decent defensively and shooting 3s.... dont tell me he wasnt cause he was

leeallen likes this.
  18. napalm06

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2019/...ockets-2018-2019-player-recaps-kenneth-faried

D-rock likes this.
  19. napalm06

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-worst-5-defenders-at-every-position#slide17
    (2017)

These are exactly the things we saw in the Jazz series.

Faried is who he has always been. He can be an offensive spark, and I don't mind him in that role. But he is a slightly-less-than-Ryno liability on defense.

I really wish I could find game tape of defense in the later games of the Jazz series, but I'm far too lazy for such things.

There's a reason many franchises are passing on him, it's not just Mike D'Antoni (who contrary to popular belief is not dumber than the average Clutchfan). There are forum posts on the Nuggets boards wishing his defense would improve from years ago.

#99 napalm06, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

get out of here!

and come back when you find a statistics that measures energy
    [​IMG]

D-rock likes this.