1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curious Case of Kenneth Faried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I looked into the lineup combinations a while ago by rebounding percentage and nothing really jumped out about Faried+Capela lineups. I thought I had posted about it, but my post didn't have much info (the curse of laziness).

Here is what I did post, responding to @Zergling who said that PJT+Faried+Capela was a great rebounding lineup but MDA killed it prematurely:

To which Zergling responded that his point was that the lineup deserved more playing time before it be dismissed. And that, of course, is perfectly valid opinion - I can't disagree with it.... but I don't know that I agree with it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

The defensive mentality and iq just doesn’t translate well to everyone despite having some tools. You do have to put things together on that side of the ball just like the other end. It’s just for some guys it’s not there and needs to be masked as much as possible. Understanding schemes, tendencies, having upmost discipline are all huge aspects that require someone to be a defensive player.

roslolian likes this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If the man could learn to shoot from 3, he'd have more use out there. I think his rebounding is overrated. The reason I say that is because more of his rebounding is on the offensive end. That's nice, but you can hang a hat on defensive rebounding dominance. Can't hang your hate on offensive rebounds. Your team HAS to miss to pick that stat up. Plus our defense looks SOOOO much better when we don't go for offensive rebounds and just get back on defense.

65 win season: 9 ORB per game
    2019 season: 10.2 ORB per game

Offensive rebounding is OVER RATED clap clap clap-clap-clap.

Now that the clock sets back to 14 seconds it's an even bigger gap in importance.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I think it’s solid to me. He doesn’t try to do things out of his role and you don’t see him doing boneheaded things to level of someone with terrible b-ball iq.

luckyman76 and don grahamleone like this.
  5. don grahamleone

Yeah, agreed. He's definitely not a bonehead. However, I wouldn't call him a high-bball IQ guy. I think you're on the same page. Solid is the right word for his IQ.

YOLO likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Aside the fact that he's probably gone anyway after he got benched for all the playoffs, like others said might make sense to resign him if it's for the minimum, but nothing more, and it would be just a regular season signing anyway so, i'd rather give that spot to a young player if there has to be a similar decision to be made.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

With these filters: 18-19 regular season, at least 20 total minutes together, the best two-player rebounding percentage tandems were

Chriss + Hartenstein - 55.4% with -5.3 net rating (24 total mins)
    Faried + Capela - 55% with +18.7 net rating (52 total mins)
    Ennis + House - 53.3% with 1.6 net rating (85 total mins)
    EGo + House - 53.2% with 15.6 net rating (377 total mins)

So, looking at those numbers, I'd say that I might be mistaken - the Faried+Capela lineup did seem to work in its limited use.

I guess the key is: who to pair with them when they're on the floor at the same time? There's only one five-man lineup that included Faried+Capela that played at least 10 minutes, but there are six four-man lineups who fit that criteria. By order of net rating:

EGo and Rivers
    Paul and Rivers
    PJT and EGo
    CP3 and Harden
    CP3 and EGo
    CP3 and PJT (they had a negative net rating)

So... I guess I should change my mind re:Faried+Capela. But, the sample size is still so small that it's impossible to declare anything. I think it's best left said that the lineup showed potential in its very limited time, and that's as far as we can go with that statement.

FrontRunner and don grahamleone like this.
  8. eman

eman Contributing Member

I thought he usually looked great next to Capela. Never understood why Coach buried him in the playoffs-- that's a real mystery to me. Would've generally preferred minutes went to Manimal over Chumpert, for crying out loud.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A full year, a defined role and a vet = playoff playability IMO. Yet, I am a wee bit short, a wee bit eh?, of expecting a full year for the Manimal. A defined role for the Manimal. And, thus and so, playoff playability for the Manimal.

10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Faried has a similar physical build as Montrezl Harrell, he is strong, and yet, he gets pushed off like a b*tch in the post, even by guards in almost every defensive plays. If only he had solid defense to go with his explosive offense, we would in demand instead of a benchwarmer. Shame he doesn't realize it.

11. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

No i didnt wat game is it? He was 0-1 from the field with a +2 in the +/- category.

#51 Highlyrated, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  12. don grahamleone

He only played in game 2. 1st and 2nd quarter only. Towards the end of the quarter both times.

13. SemisolidSnake

That's how I see it. This must have been a very disheartening experience for him. He comes here while Capela's gone and immediate is starting, throwing up double-doubles every game, helping the team win, and it looks he's got new life to his career. Then Capela gets back, and he basically gets glued to the bench by MDA. Watching Capela stink it up 30-40 minutes a night against Golden State while he got 5 minutes in the entire series would be the final straw. I can't imagine him wanting to come back if the same coach is going to be there.

Note: This is just me thinking about how he might feel. It's not about what anybody here, including myself, thinks of his abilities.

Little Bit and Highlyrated like this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I low-key forgot this guy was on the team until today, when I saw this thread.

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Until he saw that 3 ball from Faried was just a illusion

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Pretty much a vet min guy …. priority has to be wings.

17. mockster

mockster Member

Him playing no minutes against warriors is a modern day mystery. I like MDA but sometimes he baffles me.

The guy had his best games vs warriors during the season and matched up against draymond green very well

18. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

It felt like he hit every 3 he took though lmao

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don’t see a solid BB IQ. I’ve always thought that a good rebounder has good instincts. That’s why you can have a small athletic player like Bev have games where he’s a madman on the boards. Bev had double digit boards the first 3 games in their series against Oakland. He’s got good instincts going for the ball. So does Faried. Yet he gets lost on defense (Bev doesn’t). All the time. In the right situation, Manimal can be a positive. I think he showed that during the regular season. I agree with you, though, that I didn’t see much in the playoffs. Still, there were times I wish he’d gotten a few minutes. If nothing else, give Green a good elbow in the face. He was asking for it. MDA gets fixated on who he wants to play and he’s stubborn about it. I wish Clark had gotten some spot minutes against Oakland, as well.

A short deal for the minimum? Sure. I’d be glad to bring him back. Not for more than that, and if he goes elsewhere, like you, adios and good luck.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

This is insanity... you and MDA are ready to kick the dude to the curb for the series based on 5 mins?!?
    Same deal with House....

See this is the prob with how this team is being run!
    5 mins dont tell you jack!

There is little to no investment in developing guys... or making adjustments to maximize whatever attributes they do have (unless your name is harden)

Melo gets kicked to the curb in 10 games... we spent longer trying to recruit him than we did letting him play... smh...

Meanwhile whatever guys play into MDAs nepotism are given a free pass.... are our 'stars' are given carte blanche to do whatever they want whenever they want...

We need to be a team that can look beyond the last 5 mins...

I believe a good coach takes the pieces he has and constructs a gameplan to utilize their strengths while mitigating their deficiencies...

thats my rant... lol