1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curious Case of Kenneth Faried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 21, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

A hustling juggernaut turned journeymen.

My curiosity starts with whether or not we'll be able to sign him:
    -There is no doubt in my mind that with the way Faried played in his 5 minutes against GS, he deserved to be benched for that series. (I just reviewed the tape and he was awful defensively)
    -He may garner interest from a lot of teams and chase money; maybe not
    -His play throughout the season was without a doubt; helpful
    -Playoff Faried was a failure
    -Regular season Faried was a great success

Is he worth signing for other teams?
    -If you're trying to add a guy for depth to a winning roster, yes
    -If you're hoping he develops into a player you can work with, no
    -Will he help you win a championship, probably not
    -Will he help you get the number 1 seed filling in holes, probably yes

Is he worth signing for the Rockets?
    -For regular season chasing of seeding, yes
    -For the playoffs, maybe..

This is the curious case of Faried: He's a maybe. I would say that without a doubt that he's not worth using a MLE or anything large to sign him. He'd have to agree to a vet minimum contract for us to even broach discussion of a contract with the man. I've also heard it said that he was grumbling on the bench (maybe that was @Codman ?) but at the same time.. his play deserved benching. So if he signed with Houston, the guy that benched him is still the coach. The minutes he played in the 2nd round of the playoffs versus the Warriors were garbage, BUT if he made a few adjustments to his defense.. he's very playable.

My curiosity peaks with this guy because he COULD be a great member of the team. If he signed here, he'd know he'd be dealing with the coach that caused him to grumble: MDmA. To me this would mean he was humble enough about his game that he'd be willing to be coached up to an even higher level. If he signed elsewhere, I could care less. There's zero evidence that he'll improve if he runs away from his problems (aka signs elsewhere). I would just assume he's continuing his journey, not changing his ways, he's chasing money or for another place that 'feels right' or whatever. If he signs with Houston, it shows he'll take less to win, he's choosing to play for a coach that benched him in the playoffs, he likes Houston, wants to join our pursuit, and that he's willing to either work on himself.. or at least he's happy to chip-in in his way. That the playoff snub doesn't bother him.

This guy is a win-win case to me.

Do y'all still like him? Warm? Lukewarm? Hot? Cold?
    Which teams would be interested in him?

[Of course he could work on himself/defense all offseason, sign elsewhere, kill it, and make me look like a dummy.]

#1 don grahamleone, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like him to some extent, but I don't mind letting him go.

BaselineFade and mike2k132 like this.
  3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think we'll offer him the minimum and nothing more. Rivers will be more of a priority and they'll want to maximize any flexbilility they have left. It's just hard to spend money on a guy that just showed that he's a defensive liability in the playoffs.

saleem, mike2k132, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ah! It's that word! MY EYES, IT BURNS, it burns..........!

luckyman76 likes this.
  5. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

All of his numbers were up but the MDA gave him less and less minutes as the season went on. If your not a 3 point shooter then you won’t play.

6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i like him for the minimum. but whats the point if we're not going to use him for playoffs?

saleem likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

That sums up my curiosity. We sign him and I'm ecstatic. He signs elsewhere and I don't care. What other player is like that?

If Bev signed here, I'd be ecstatic. If he signs elsewhere, I'm disappointed.

Why not? and luckyman76 like this.
  8. don grahamleone

We could use him in the playoffs, but he's gotta work on his defense if he wants to play when it matters. He was ole'ing Curry when he switched to him, biting on fakes super hard, losing his man... that doesn't work unless you're a monster on offense. However, the Warriors cover that rim so he's worthless there too. His defense improves and he's our guy.. it doesn't and he's not.

payaso and tc0330 like this.
  9. basketballholic

I didn't need to see one second of Faried play to know he was a zero against the Warriors. We shouldn't have signed him. We should have signed Bruno. But instead we had to give Harden his annual Bobby Brown pacifier. I hope he's gone. But i have a funny feeling he'll be brought back on a minimum deal to take away a roster spot from somebody that could actually help us.

Rasheed likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. tc0330

tc0330 Member

solid points mayne.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Pringles

Pringles Member

What are you talking about? We signed Faried way later in the season - long after Bruno was gone?

Faried was the perfect insurance for us when Capela went down. We probably would have lost few more games at the very leaset if it wasn't for Faried.

There was no correlation between Faried signing or Bruno waiving.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

That man isn’t coming back. I wouldn’t after being benched in the playoffs, when we CLEARLY needed rebounding

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I dont know if it’s “meh” on losing him...I think’ it’s more just resigned to the probability of him being offered more than the minimum. I would be ecstatic if he resigns here for vet minimum.

kjayp likes this.
  15. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Are we sure he wouldn’t even want to sign here? There seem to be some frustration over his benching in the playoffs. Didn’t he decide not to travel with the team for a playoff game or two?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

good depth piece. he obviously fits the system offensively. he's athletic, solid bball iq and still at a good age. His energy play has proven to be a huge boost on many occasions. the only problem is being able to hide him defensively better and that really depends on how the rockets operate on that side of the ball moving forward. there aren't many places in the league for him but the rockets happen to be one of them where he can find a role to contribute

the league has soured on guys like him and they aren't much in demand. undersized big's with limited shooting ability and length. he won't have much of a market, so for a 2 year min or so contract why not.

#16 YOLO, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  17. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

18. basketballholic

If we had signed bruno thre wouldn't have been a spot for faried.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's hard to look at a long-time NBAer and expect things to change. But, then - - Brook & Serge both 'shocked' me (shocked, I say) w/their latter-day metamorphoses into quality vets. Is Faried next in that line? For the vet minimum I'm good for a new year w/Manimal.

luckyman76 and don grahamleone like this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Bev signed here, I'd be ecstatic and shocked. When he signs elsewhere, I'll root for him (except v TheGoodGuys and hopefully in the East).