1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Somehow Sam Presti will swoop in and trade for Butler for peanuts. We've seen this narrative.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

“Like I said my whole career, as long as we’re winning I don’t give a damn what my stats are,” Butler said. “I think winning makes everybody happy.”

At 30 years old, you think he'd leave one of the NBA's two best teams to play for less money in a place like Brooklyn?

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Butler shot 38.3% on catch and shoot 3 pointers last year while Gordon shot 39%. Put Butler in the corners like Ariza and he's elite on wide open 3s.

The difference is that there's a lot more open 3s available in Houston. Who in Minnesota was going to get Butler a bunch of open catch and shoot shots? If you put a prime Steve Kerr on a team without someone that can create for others, he wouldn't get many catch and shoot attempts but that wouldn't be because he cant shoot them.

4. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And from the TOP ROPE....ch44 with the elbow drop! Really awesome to see @ch44 make an appearance in this thread. And their post gives me hope the Rockets can keep PJ Tucker out of the deal.

"pretty advanced" 3-4 team trade, eh?

The way it looks to me is, Miami seems loathe to give up Josh Richardson. And perhaps they don't have the mechanics to offer the "Dieng salary relief" that the Wolves want. I think Miami can only send 1 first. Perhaps lack of 1sts is causing an issue.

And since Richardson isn't on the table, Gordon is the next best piece that fits with the Wolves. BUT, since the Rockets don't have the "young player to add to the deal" (ala Winslow) the Rockets need to offer the salary relief of Dieng (or else include Tucker as an asset).

So, enter the Kings. The Rockets need to use the Kings as a dumping ground for Dieng. Perhaps 1 Rockets first to Kings and 1 Rockets first to the Wolves.

If we are talking a 4th team, then perhaps we are talking about the Suns. They need a PG and the Wolves have Tyus Jones. There could be a match there.

At any rate, I am putting my faith in Morey that he will exhaust every avenue to keep Tucker. He will find some lever to pull. I trust his creativity.

Thanks again @ch44

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Kings probably want the Wolves 1st. Our 2019 1st can’t be enough of a sweetener to take that atrocious Dieng contract, and there’s no telling how many of our trash 1st round picks it would take to get the Kings to agree to take it.

I’m thinking at least 2 1st round picks like with Ryno, maybe more

7. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

The Phoenix Suns did not receive draft picks from the Rockets.

clutchdabear and Bobsputin like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only other alternative I see where the money would even work is trading them Nene and Gordon, but would Minnesota go for that?

How can the Rockets afford to pay Capela, Harden, CP3, and Butler with Butler wanting to be paid like a top player in the league?

9. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Am I crazy? Why isn’t MIA upping their offer? Due to their cap situation, they have to overpay to get a star. They have zero cap room for at least 2 years with the Whiteside & Dragic & Tyler Johnson contracts.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

because they got rid of another terrible contract/player they didn’t want in Knight...we didn’t just dump Ryno there

Knight is a negative value contract

11. mockster

mockster Member

I feel pretty confident Rockets get this deal done. Wonder if thibs having a relationship with rockets in the past plays a small part aswell?.

But as I said previously I know the wolves really like Eric Gordon. I always fan boyed over him and thought he was under appreciated and under rated turns out other teams think highly of Gordon to. He’s just below all star level, he’s been healthy and improved yearly and who knows his potential on a good team without two ball dominate guards like harden and Paul

For wolves this could be like us getting Harden from OKC but on a smaller level talent wise and age. But also they are trading an somewhat equivalent talent in exchange

So my point is Eric Gordon draws more value then fans might think. Hopefully we can retain Tucker though

clutchdabear and DonKnock like this.
  12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Pat Riley gonna Pat Riley

DonKnock likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

our offense will have a resurrection with a player that can put the ball on the floor...rip ariza and ryan

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Oh man. I shouldn't have watched this. Makes me want Butler even more. Get it done Morey (and keep Tucker). :D

hakeem94, slothy420, jch1911 and 6 others like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just a guess, but maybe they thought that even if they add Butler they won't make much noise in the end...first/second round exit at best, and they don't even know if Butler will resign there.

At that point, might be better for them to have another one/two transition seasons, get out of the tax, develop a couple of young players, hold onto their players with more value for money (like Richardson), maybe trade a couple of their decent to good players (James Johnson) to get some assets back while their worst contracts like Whiteside, Tyler Johnson, Waiters and Olynyk will expire or become easily tradable, and be players in free agency again when guys like Durant, Davis etc might be available...

jch1911, finsraider and DonKnock like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

So you’re saying we’re getting Butler next year for the vet minimum?

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

heypartner, Vivi and Bobsputin like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He is the Kings beat writer for the Athletic. I am sure a decent source.

Kings want a 2019 1st. That might be tough. The Rockets could offer that of course, BUT the Wolves might ALSO want a 2019 1st included with EG,

So, Morey might be stuck trying to hunt around for a 2019 1st. Would be tough. I can't imagine Chriss would nab a 1st.

BTW, this scenario is EXACTLY why Morey traded DeAnthony Melton INSTEAD of the 1st to off load Anderson. The 2019 1st is MUCH more liquid.

sage281, Vivi, DonKnock and 1 other person like this.
  19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

The calculus is simple. If you have the money to out right sign Jimmy n another max guy next summer, you will not give up anything to trade for him now(makes no sense to do say; since next years free agency is super deep n good) n i repeat jimmy is a 1 year rental. Everybody in the rockets organization knows this i think, simply because we dont have the money to pay him what he would command in free agency.

So then who does that leave. Cant be gsw Boston or philly. No reason for them guys to move a guy of talent to get butler. I lump philly in that cause i think they would have to give up atleast a borderline allstar player for him. But philly could get creative too tho(would they trade Covington, would minny even want him)

So with all that said Gordon is just the type of player, or better said the best player willing to be dealt for a rental.

So i think the ball is in our court n the outside noise is just noise. If someone gives up someone better then Gordon then im not even mad.

Honestly if i was the lakers i would jump in. I think they might be over valuing their hand. Me personally my theory is when u have a guy like lbj or harden/cp3 you have to operate under the win now mantra morey is wisely operating under. You came this far at some people u have to cash those chips in. If they dont work u rebuild. But u have to charge now while harfen is in his prime. We are very fortunate ti have morey. I feel he will no what to do when the rebuild has to start. Even if we wins ships.

At some point harden cp3 will be done. Im anxious n excited now the same as i was with we got cp3. Were i missed a required class just to watch my boys play game one of the preseason. Thank god basketball is back. Man i love this sport. Im so hyped. Hell i was glued to the tv watching games last night.

Basketball is back. Long live the nba people wooooooo!!!!

DonKnock likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The nay sayer crowd went from no chance to he’s a 1 year rental really quickly. :rolleyes:

Not directing this at Bobby. They know who they are #depressingfans

#2820 sammy, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.