1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

When will people stop talking about Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Damn, you passed my little test.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did Obama and Bush after leaving claim they still are the rightful president where they successfully convinced more than a third of the nation that an illegal usurper is currently in the White House?

Just curious.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cable news likes him
    It’s like Stephen A Smith talking about the Knicks or the cowboys

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

5. DonatelloLimestone

the dude is still endorsing people, has the most popularity and is the front runner for the next election. he also goes on rallys and will take interviews or be on tv as much as he can

talking about him is by design:

"On bad press: [F]rom a pure business point of view, the benefits of being written about have far outweighed the drawbacks. It's really quite simple ... The funny thing is that even a critical story, which may be hurtful personally, can be very valuable to your business."'

On the press: "One thing I've learned about the press is that they're always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better. It's in the nature of the job, and I understand that. The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you.

On exaggeration: "The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration, and a very effective form of promotion."

Donald Trump quotes, hes masterful at playing this silly media sadly and shameless and 'trump first' enough to not go away

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No, but it doesn't matter. Trump is wrong. Those who believe that are wrong. The never-ending Trump coverage has done nothing to slow the tide of Trump supporters believing such claims. If anything it adds further fuel to the fire of those people. So, why keep covering it?

I suspect we all know why: because the major media companies have a business model that most succeeds when people are angry or scared. So making liberals and conservatives both angry and scared is what they do.

I guess my real question is why do normal, everyday people keep participating in the Trump ****? Just move on. It's done.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

This seems rather naive.

Due to the nature of bubbled news media and social media, the people who "are wrong" as in believe in Trump, couldn't give a flying **** what CNN or other mainstream news outlets cover.

The mainstream news media forgetting about Trump isn't going to lessen his pull on 35-40% of the American public that believe that democracy in this country has ended. Ignoring that issue is and pretending that it doesn't exist is as dumb as being addicted to Trump coverage.

Are you suggesting we just flat out ignore that a creeping significant minority of the nation believes democracy has effectively ended in this country and that the former president is constsntly on his allied news networks like Fox News , Newsmax, various social media spreading this narrative that the election was fraudulent?

We just let that dangerous lie fester and let it grow organically with no pushback? Are you actually serious?

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I guess we could all pretend and he might go away, but...

Poll Shows Donald Trump Leading 2024 GOP Field by More Than 30 Points, DeSantis in Second
    BY ALEXANDRA HUTZLER ON 7/20/21 AT 4:19 PM EDT
    https://www.newsweek.com/poll-shows...-field-more-30-points-desantis-second-1611620

Poll: Without Trump in the race, DeSantis dominates 2024 GOP White House hopefuls
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/14/desantis-poll-2024-president-499670

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Question: has the never-ending Trump coverage done anything to make things better?

The lie is still "festering" with constant coverage.

My suggestion would be to focus on things that matter. Labor issues, foreign policy, etc. Spend less time talking to John Bolton about what he thinks about Trump.

My opinion, 6 months into Trump being gone, is that the constant Trump-talk has not helped anything. So my suggestion is that people try something else.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This seems to be evidence that the current practice is not working, and that my suggestion should be tried.

But maybe I should ask President Rand Paul about the worthiness of such polls.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rand-paul-wins-cpac-straw-poll/

11. fchowd0311

If you think that is evidence then you don't know what "confounding factors" are.

Trump could be as popular with the GOP base without a single drop of coverage from mainstream media.

And your logic makes no sense. If the people who need convincing on things like child care, infrastructure, healthcare etc already distrust the "liberal media" and would call any of those propositions "Marxist". Their views on Trump being their preferred 2024 candidate has no bearing on the amount of coverage CNN for example does on Trump. They don't watch CNN except selective clips for narrative purposes.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

14. Nook

Nook Member

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Alrighty. Well we will just continue the non-stop Trump coverage and I'm sure that will make things better.

I was hoping that by having the large media companies, who really are essential, trying to cover relevant items in an objective way it would help engender more trust from the average American, and might bring people back into those circles and away from the baby-blood-drinking conspiracies, or from losing their minds about the alleged takeover of critical race theory. But... maybe it is better after all to keep flinging poo and playing teams. Yeah. Maybe that will work out fine.

16. fchowd0311

You don't think 35-40% of the country believing that an usurper president is in the White House and democracy has effectively ended isn't relevant news?

17. adoo

adoo Member

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What % has long thought that the political establishment has been compromised (lobbyists, special interests, military industrial complex, etc)? I suspect it's like 10-20%. This was long before Trump. I'm just pulling this number out of my ass obviously, but my point is that distrust in the foundation of the system has long existed.

I'm not saying no one should have ever mentioned that many Trump supporters think he won. My question from the very beginning was... how long must we keep talking about this one thing??? There are many other things worth talking about; this doesn't need to be topic #1 every single day.

19. fchowd0311

I would say more than 50% of the public has distrust in our politicians and believe they are acting in bad faith serving the interests of the corporations that sponser either through donations or promised board seats and stock options.

But that is completely different than believing that our voting process is fraudulent and that democracy has effectively ended. Because the former issue for most people believe can still be resolved through voting and political engagement. The later issue for many can only be solved through violence as all legal recourse "to save democracy" failed this there is no other recourse left besides violence.

Also, the premise that is the only thing being talked about seems rather vague and easily dismissible. I'm subscribed the NYT and WaPo and most of the content I read from them is in regards to policy such as climate and inflation Wich are the two hot button policy discussions.

Subscribe to traditional news media like NYT, WSJ etc. They have plenty of policy specific coverage.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

https://www.history.com/topics/germany/beer-hall-putsch

It's no longer hyperbole to assume the worst outcome possibly happening. He already tried to overthrow a democratic election once. He's not backed down on his stances since. There are members of Congress that continue to protect him and seek his endorsement even after everything he's put this country through. There will be no condign punishment as a consequence of his actions. Actual justice would restore faith in government more than it would divide. Yet that will never happen because again members of Congress have a vested interest in protecting him and themselves.

Perhaps if there was actual justice that came as a result of his actions, you'd find people who hold criticism of him would be more inclined to move on opposed to the constant barrage of pointing out all the awful **** he's gotten away and continues to get away with.

I don't fault media companies that hold criticisms of him nearly as much as I do your Newsmax, OANN, Fox News, and geriatric Youtubers that face cam on their phone in their truck in their front drive while having a bitcoin monetization link in the comments section to grift in endless praise of him.

The whole idea that Americans are smart enough to spot a conman appears to be false assertion to make and simply ignoring his impact on Americans that continue to support him is no different than an ostrich putting its head in the sand.