1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets legend to decline player option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 3, 2021.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Chris was on his mission to go vegan before he got traded. There were articles about it if I recall correctly. He was going to show up in great shape regardless.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A professional athlete doesn't go vegan in their mid 30s gain muscle mass, explosiveness and improve their body's ability to stay healthy.

Easy likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, is there any real scientific proof that going vegan helps an athlete (let alone in the 30s) stay off injuries?

4. DonatelloLimestone

There maybe indications for inflamatory markers. but really everyone responds to it differently let alone your playing style size it may help to lighten the load up a little bit on your joints as you get older.

But these guys aren't going to be waiting for triple blind peer reviewed studies to get funded and years to build up appropriate experiments and then also to find people like them. There are millions on the line and its a short window of opportunity in the nba, so they will experiment. Just like the horse racers use bemer therapy, light tehrapy that now has somse scientific backing for inflammation, or how kobe and a bunch of other when to germany for the PRP knee therapy, those things aren't definitive. TEnnis novak sleeps in an air pressure chamber, i believe lebron does too.

So maybe not for everyone, so it worked for chris paul and gave him some rejuvination after a tough year. At this point most athletes are really mindful of nutrition, spurs sixers and a few others also have programs where they provide the food so their athletes eat optimally. Also sometimes you just have tough years, lebron was out before they won a ring last year. AGe, style all have a factor in that too.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

These are great posters but the hindsight is great.

“Hell yeah I would have kept him! His contract wasn’t even that bad! I had no complaints!”

“He makes $40M. Contract is untradeable.” … “It happens to all players. Father Time is undefeated.”

Yes, imagine that.

“Just isn’t the same player.” … “The Chris Paul contract sucks.” … “Prospect of giving him a max contract at 32 is not terribly exciting.” … “Not a worse contract in the league. Absolute garbage.” … “Definitely on the decline.” … “I’d trade him tomorrow.” … “That contract essentially ends any competitive hopes the Rockets may have had for the Harden era.”

Rockets re-sign Chris Paul to 4 year, $160M deal
    What's the ****ing point of Chris Paul?
    The Chris Paul Contract
    Chris Paul needs to step up
    Is Chris Paul running out of steam?
    How worried are you that Chris Paul is a choker
    Started by TheRealist137
    So Chris Paul got $40 million per year...
    Started by TheRealist137
    Trade CP3 to LA
    Started by TheRealist137
    CP3: Declining versus Down Year?
    If CP3 fails to show up again...
    Trade CP3?
    [Shams] Teams don't want CP3 for free
    Bold prediction: CP3 will be traded by the deadline
    Would you consider trading CP3?

#85 J.R., Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Jontro, TheRealist137 and LFE171 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is the CP3 contract already a negative contract?
    If the Rockets had kept Lou Will, Montrezl, & Bev instead of trading for CP3
    Started by TheRealist137
    Trade CP3 and rebuild or embrace the "win now" strategy?
    How do you evaluate CP3's playing condition now?

#86 J.R., Jun 4, 2021
    Jontro and TheRealist137 like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Further proof that @J.R. is a bot. :D

BTW, I agree that most posters, including myself, thought the contract was horrible. I still do.

Jontro and J.R. like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

JR really did me like that :(

Jontro likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I won't argue that CP3 isn't better, but availability is important. Wall and CP3 have very different injury histories. We will see what happens and who is available in the offseason, but I wouldn't be surprised if John Wall gives up his player option to get a long term deal at a place he wants to be.

11. hakeemthagreat

Source?

12. hakeemthagreat

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...ockets-trading-chris-paul-to-thunder.amp.html

Houston Rockets guard James Harden reportedly orchestrated the trade that sent Chris Paul, two first-round picks and two first-round pick swaps to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Russell Westbrook.

That's per Yahoo Sports' Vincent Goodwill, who relayed the following quote from a league source: "James made this [expletive] happen. He wanted Chris up out of there."

13. hakeemthagreat

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nb...den-and-chris-paul-couldve-worked-it-out/amp/

But there’s a major caveat: Maybe Harden wanted Paul gone. We can talk all we want about optimal roster construction on paper. If the franchise player was vehemently opposed to playing with Paul, something had to be done.

Tim MacMahon of ESPN:

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I almost saw CP3 opting out of $44.5M as betting against himself. To give up a one year $44.5M deal for a 3 year deal averaging $33M seems like he is looking to secure less money over more years. Again, the market will dictate his contract, and I believe he could pull it off. In my opinion betting on himself would mean he plays another year proving himself.

From what we have seen CP3 and Lebron may prove to be highly effective late into their careers. They have the highest basketball IQ of any current players, once their bodies start to give, I think they can still be highly effective.

#94 BallSoHarden, Jun 4, 2021
  15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Not pennies, just what they was gonna pay patch head lol

bmelo likes this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

That makes sense in theory, just not in john walls case. WAll will be 33 with 40 plus million for his contract. He won't sniff anywhere cloe to that let alone in 2 more years of wear and tear. REmember he is way, way more reliant on his athleticism than Paul. Way more terrible shooter, even at his prime athleticism he didn''t have success like Paul. To think that at 33 he will do that is a far fetch, he won't even be a starter by that age. I think the only comparable thing is Blake. He was done, worse than wall last year and left 13 million on the table. Not an opt out, 13 million and he quicly made a few million of it in brooklyn and then next year gets to recuperate the rest but I doubt he will entirely so swallowed a little in the end. And wall sat out 2 year entirely too so its a different situation.

Its hopeful, I'd love to see it if he opts out. but I highly, highly doubt it. With wall I'm just hoping he surprises us both in play efficiency and health. but thats a tall order but if it happens maybe we can move him, most lllikely if we do move him it will be as an expiring his last year. But I won't give up any assets for him as thats what rebuilding teams do, we accumulate assets and talents and we aren't winning this year and are really young. We spent 3 years focusing on money savings with stars there, enough with that, get us back to laying a foundation to make rockets respectable again.

17. DonatelloLimestone

So it goes down to the dominos. Glue guys, champion veterans, locker room chemistry. Why did that supposedly terrible partnership lead to our greatest success since Hakeem Olajuwon was wearing a rockets jersey? The closest we got to finals, heck kobe shaq reached boiling points, its said kd had continued issues with warriors teammates, my point is friction is apart of the team building process, cohesion makes a big difference and its bigger then the sum of just a couple stars.

Do you remember who was lobbying for harden for mvp, writing players tribune articles, and who harden and paul both cited as a voice in the lockerromm they respect to goto, who has won titles with a guy they know named kobe, and he was the "glue" a hard to quantify locker room vet role that commands respect and has a voice to our stars. One who is notably fiesty in Paul and one who is quiet and not a great communicator. So while they are the leaders on the court, the locker room leader was Trevor Ariza

Once again, not a 2nd hand source, from Chris Paul himself:

Former Houston Rockets guard Chris Paul was on the Knuckleheads podcast with Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson and explained the impact of the Rockets losing Ariza.

“People don’t realize, that’s the biggest thing that we missed. That was tough when we lost [Ariza] because he sorta was like the glue. He was that glue for our team.”

You can't show up and say this is what started and skip the episode before. The dominos to that relationship going from being close to the finals to untenable was in 2018. Not just losing ariza, not replacing him. I get nba is tough and has to make tough decisions, but we ignored his bird rights(which were tradeable and did trade for Oubre) but we also used minimums who we also cut that season. Then tilman takes the mike as he always does after 2019 and says rockets will need him to instill his fighter mentality and culture. BAsically he demanded publicly do better with a worse product and blamed his stars. The culture had already been crumbling the year before when we ignored MLE, ignored TPE, ignored bird rights, traded picks to get under the tax.

All moves above harden would not approve of. If you're harden in 2019, playing 38 minutes while the other stars load manage, watching Cleveland, Toronto, WArriors all pay significant taxes while they win and you're barely losing to them bc of margins, and then you come back in January Daniel House, the gleague guy is cut. No replacement, then in febuary a month later the guy they paid a minimum contract to is traded for a top 55 protected pick, basically nothing. You might start to wonder if the owner who always screams we're going all in while you see 90 percent of his moves to cut cost, staff, so on. Then maybe you might be annoyed too.

Those are the facts, people say we pandered to harden. What aobut 90 percent of our other moves, from assistant coaches, to role players all gone for nothing, 90 eprcent moves are cost cutting. Unless harden's goal is to save tilman money only because those moves didn't help cap flexiblity, they just helped tax avoidance which only helps the owner Heck the most an owner can offer in the nba is just finances, they really don't do much else but collect checks.

The narrative just doesnt add up especially when you have an actual quote from Tilman saying my basketball ops was weak, I pushed it through. Furthermore harden was on record saying he talks to morey and tad brown more than his own mother and he fully trust them. he cited that as reason he wanted to be out, tad brown did too. They had trust to work with eachother. once again, if all the moves we did in theese 3 years pandered to harden, that would make sense and you can point the final finger at him, but the fact that 90 percenet of our moves were cost cutting, westbrook was a money maker and htat worked for tilman and he was also leaking how terrible he thought chris pauls contract was, once again the sabatoging of that relationship cant be honestly evaluated without looking at hte year before, without understanding team building. If chris paul himself when asked what wentwrong for hte rockets it wasn't 'budding heads'. that happens each year, it was the glue guy was gone, maybe try listening, also to tilmans own quotes. No doubt harden played a role, no doubt. But the trajectory of this franchise with receipts all falls onthe topto tillman and he continues to lie telling people this is what happens whenyou go all in, go look at our transaction history. wE didn't go all in, we did gymnastics to give away assets that could be used toget better to cut cost.

18. dmoneybangbang

Again, trade Wall to a place where he wants to go and watch him opt out in order to resign a long deal (not a max).

Lowry and CP3 are better but just will cost more and will be big injury risks.

19. DonatelloLimestone

Lory and cp3 are more injury risks than wall? the guy who hadn't played in 2 years, then half of this season? not to mention lowry and cp3 are far better players, regarded as better leaders and locker room guys.

There is no demand for wall, if we iddn't have to attach picks to trade him, he would already be traded. his chance to opt out is next year, so we'd have to trade him this summer until the trade deadline and no guarantee he will opt out bc he money makes less sense for him. Chris Paul is coming out winning years and a resurrgance where hes rebranded as a culture fix, he'll get as much money as his opt out or at least 30 million or so for more years. thats big money. Lowry will get big money and had his conract expired anyway. Wall hasn't had those guys accomplishments, he doesnt hve the truth the vet presence or almost anything they offer as well as worse off health tracks than both of them to add to that. and Wall has none of that going or .i d understand even if a team would pay him 20, but with his injuries, his inefficient play, and only aging worse its hard to see it and seems a bit too optimistic, but hell if it happens without us giving up assets. I'd love it and pay respects to stone for pulling that off. so heres to a solid year by wall for that to happen, I'm not holding my breath.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Wait till Wall opts out of his last year and tilman signs him to a 4 yr $120M pact.