1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chad Ford Insider] Hou working on 4 team deal [Update: Done Deal - Ariza for C Lee]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Convictedstupid, Aug 11, 2010.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

You know what occured to me? Maybe this trade happened to free up space for another SF(Iguoldala) maybe our next trade will be Battier, Jeffries for Andre?
    Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Lee
    Iguodala/Budinger/Patterson
    Scola/Hayes/Patterson
    Yao/Miller/Hill

2. connoisseur

connoisseur Member

:grin:

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Why are people acting like the reason Battier got less playing time last season was because of his "deterioration?" He only got less playing time because he was injured late last season. His injury's healed (probably) so he should be back to the Battier of two years ago. Plus he relied much on using Yao behind him to funnel his man into bad positions, so he looked much worse as a defender without Yao than with.

1 person likes this.
  4. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Ariza needed to go - he was an outcast and not a 'team' guy. I mentioned this after I sat behind the Rockets bench for a game last season: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=5014354#post5014354

Saving money for Les, getting rid of an outcast, and getting an athletic, young (semi?) player - Morey does his job again.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Could be Iggy or Melo. This trade is perfect if that's the plan, because Ariza probably wouldn't be included in any possible deal for either of those guys anyway. It would likely be a package centering around the expiring contracts of Battier/Jeffries and some combination of draft picks and a young guy (probably Jordan Hill).

In such a deal, the only rotation player we would lose (Battier) would be replaced by an all-star.

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Like I said before, it really doesn't clear up much. There should be a follow up trade.

Anyways, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Budinger is starting. Battier is starting. Lee possibly, but certainly Battier if he isn't traded.

Chase is a proven rotational player; good shot, good athleticism, but let's not make him out to be some type of phenom with extraordinary potential. He'll be a similar player year in and year out. He doesn't have that much "potential" left.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Spend most of the day away from the BBS playing Starcraft II and return to Ariza gone, Lee in, and a 52 page thread. On the face of it, a good trade. Clearly saves Les a lot of money this year and going forward, and gives us a $6 million-plus trade chip with the TE. While Ariza looked very good after the Martin trade, perhaps Adelman and Morey just felt they couldn't depend on that kind of production from Trevor. Looking at his career shooting percentages, I can understand that. Courtney Lee is a solid young SG. Lee plays very good defense and has decent size for the position. He's a good ball handler, something Ariza was not, and a much better shooter. This leaves the 2 spot balanced, with Martin/Lee, and we still have Battier/Budinger at the 3.

Some thoughts... this is clearly a vote of confidence in Chase, unless there is another deal for a 3 in the future. It puts a question mark around Taylor's future. Lee has been compared to Battier with regards to his approach to the game, his BB IQ, his locker room demeanor. We immediately become a better ball handling and shooting team, with a dependable defensive option at the 2 and, very important, an excellent backup if Martin misses some games.

I'm excited about the deal and completely surprised. Makes me wonder, what's next?

1 person likes this.
  8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

What have you done for me lately?

Though, I will admit he's definitely on the move after this trade. I certainly think him, Jefferies, a combination of our picks/Hill/Budinger is out for a legitimate star swingman. It's what I'm hoping for at least, and I can see it aligned.

9. choujie

choujie Member

One step further from Championship, if no other roster changes.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We are winners and champions with this move. Quote me, "Rockets Champions this year over the Heat."

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol.
    lol.

2 people like this.
  12. mig0s

mig0s Member

I've seen Lee play last season he looked good, hitting threes and attacking the rim. But Courrrtney sounds so fricking weak :(

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks
    Kevin Martin
    Shane Battier
    Luis Scola
    Yao Ming
    --------------------
    Kyle Lowry
    Courtney Lee
    Chase Budinger
    Chuck Hayes
    Brad Miller
    --------------------
    Development...
    Jermaine Taylor
    Jordan Hill
    Patrick Patterson

Two players that fans on this board **** on far too often=
    Shane Battier & Chuck Hayes...

These guys will play a ton of minutes for the Rockets this year, and will be the heart and soul of the team.

Clutchfans love to play with their shiny new toys...

1 person likes this.
  14. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Two random thoughts:

Chuck Hayes throwing an outlet pass to Lowry, Bud and C Lee on the second team would be fun!

Without David Andersen and Trevor Ariza, who are the haters going to hate next year?

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I nominate Jeffries. How can a professional NBA player be nearly 7'ft tall and not be able to dunk or do a layup consistently?

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

And the more I think about it, there is likely another move that explains this one. More money is available. Chemistry is likely improved. But something is missing. But what? Or who?

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

3 important things i get out of this

1 rthis opens the door for more minutes for Budinger as the primary backup to shane
    2 the coaching staff are convinced Taylor is not ready to be the primary backup just yet
    3 it is a salary dump

Lowry
    Lee
    Battier
    Scola/Hill
    Hayes/Yao

Lineup will be insane on the defensive end.

1 person likes this.
  18. WNBA

WNBA Member

AB will always be the most hated player.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I think we've taken a pretty big step back defensively.

Lee maybe good at defending pgs, sgs and maybe a sf, but Ariza was the hope for this team defensively against the likes of your Kobes, Wades and Lebrons.

Battier has obviously lost a step and the next drop down now in defense is the PF/C Hayes but after that it is either Jefferies or Lowry? Seems like we are going more for offense and losing a lot of the defense that I think helped us succeed in the previous seasons.

I get the move and I even get why it wasn't Battier they moved (only real leader the team has at this point since neither Brooks or Ariza were ready to take that role on), but it feels like we lost a key piece in this being a championship team THIS season.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

short arms.