1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Daily Telegraph] David Andersen has taken pay cut to sign a deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Jul 26, 2009.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

[rQUOTEr]While Andersen doesn't have the biggest profile in Australian sport, he has been a proven winner in Europe for a decade. Incredibly, he has taken a pay cut to leave Spanish force Barcelona and sign a three-year $9million deal in the NBA.
    "I just felt this year if I didn't go over to the NBA it might be a now-or-never thing,'' Andersen said. "It's the right time for me to go, I feel pretty good, physically I think I can compete. I'm looking forward to it.''

The Rockets rushed Andersen into their squad after All-Star centre Yao Ming went down with a career-threatening foot injury.

Even at 212cm, Andersen can't measure up to the 229cm Chinese star. But Yao Ming has confidence in the Aussie centre. "I actually met up with Yao because he was going to have surgery,'' Andersen said.

"He's played against me internationally before, he just said work hard and he thought things would go pretty smoothly for me. They're huge shoes to fill. I don't think they planned to bring me in exactly for him, but obviously with the situation as it is they're looking for me to step in and play some more minutes. But I think eventually they can see me playing alongside him - that'd be a good opportunity.''[/rQUOTEr]

Rest can be read in this link.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boomers-owe-australia-a-medal/story-e6frexni-1225754720591

[Edit] Courtesy hoopchina.com, I read the news there first.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Good stuff. IIRC, Scola did the same...

3. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Great, He will be motivated to show his ability and hopefully it helps the Rockets this season. He could be another Scola. :)

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Despite some contrary opinion, his attitude seems great. He's sounding like he'll fit with our humble hard-working squad so far.

The thing I'm really interested in, though, is to see if he can play any kind of defense at an NBA level.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a credit both to Andersen and the Rockets organization that they were able to come together on a deal that works for both sides. I can't wait to see this guy play! :cool:

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I hate to be the serial debbie downer about this, but there
    are going to be a lot of disapointed Clutchfans re: Andersen.

7. rivo

rivo Member

btw, "$ 9 million" means Australian Dollar

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

It really depends on the expectations put on him.

We need some height in the post at the defensive end. If he could stop 3 to 4 possessions in the paint every quarter, grab around 8 rebounds a game, I'd consider mission accomplished.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

is he worse than hayes and dorsey?

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

Scola did the same thing, Scola should be rewarded with his next contract. If Andersen plays well he'll also be taken care of.

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Still a low risk gamble especially on a position that has nothing more to lose. All the more, The team needs to focus in adding a player for front court help.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Defensively Hayes and Dorsey have him well and truly covered.

Offensively, he might have a slight edge.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It really is admirable what Morey does with contract negotiations. Nearly everyone he signs is underpaid.

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Are you sure? According to one of the online calculators, 9 million would be $7,340,400.26, which would be roughly $2.5 million per year. Not bad at all.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Have you seen Hayes and Dorsey on offense? The fact that he can hit a J and free throws gives him more than a slight edge.

16. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Eventually it will catch up with him where the players he signed are up for a raise.

17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Alright so he has quite a large advantage.

He is just NOT as good as so many are hoping.

People are expecting Scola.

If you are expecting someone who can be an effective back up for
    15 mins a game - then fine - but as the roster stands now he is likely
    our starting Centre...and that, my friends, is nothing to be excited about.

18. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

It was reported by an Australian media, so it is safe guess.

19. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I agree that the expectations seem to be more than he will be able to deliver. But scanning the league brings up very few centers that would be worth getting excited about. So in that instance I do not see how it is anything but positive having him here for a few years at cheap pay - especially when Yao comes back.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It's the offseason... high expectations are rampant until the first preseason game.. then it's all doom and gloom! ;)

If Andersen can work hard and be a hustler on the court, maximize his talents... that's all I personally ask of any player or any team as a whole for that matter.