1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone Convince Me Dwight Isn't Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I look at Howard, and I see his STILL inept post game, I realize how worn down he is becoming, and I think of all the players his $20 MILLION contract is preventing us from signing. I just can't help but think this man is really overrated. Is pinning our championship hopes to this guy really the smart move for this franchise? Surely, I must be wrong. Somebody prove to me I am wrong!!!

2 people like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go watch last year's playoffs troll.

1 person likes this.
  3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

To be fair it was a 1st round exit.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Calling the OP a troll is ridiculous. This wasn't mindless bashing.

I think being concerned about Dwight is legitimate.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

to be fair, he was probably the only one that got us the 2 wins

6. Remii

Remii Member

One good hour in your day with 23 hours of inconsistency _ doesn't mean you're having a great day....

Hopefully Howard can continue doing what he did in the playoffs last year and be consistent with his post game.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

lin got us game 5 win at home, rather people want to admit it or not.

2 people like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uggghhhh..... Seriously dude?

Dwight post ups have always been a hellaluva polarizing topic since the guy came into the league, but it always comes down to matchups with that guy. Against the right matchups he's dominant offensively. Against the likes of double teams of Asik & Anthony freaking Davis.... yes... he can look really bad.

However, there is a whole other side of the game called Defense. Dwight is pretty damn good at that and he's still one of the greatest rebounding talents to ever play the game. Pretty important stuff in the game of basketball. Yes... currently he's worth a max contract. However on his next contract after next season (assuming he opts out), I would value him at a discounted rate similar to the Duncan contract. His game will need to translate into more of the Mutumbo role... which IF he's willing to, he can still be a top 5 center in the league just focusing on defense/boards/and easier looks around the rim.

Regardless.... OP you didn't deserve that long of a response, but you got it. No Dwight is not overrated, its just that ONE FACET of his game, his post game, is very up and down, and will have to be phased out in a couple of years for him to have a successful final act of his career.

#8 dobro1229, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If you thought he was going to be a great post up player then that's on you. I think most of us knew what he was when we signed him and rated him properly.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He is overrated in a sense and properly rated in another sense.

He's over rated because of his obvious flaws.

He's properly rated because, well, there aren't many great centers in the league.

So in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

1 person likes this.
  11. Play07

Play07 Member

ive said plenty of time my view on howard but one thing im seeing this year also "I watch every game was there last night" is he sets the WEAKEST screens its like he doesn't want to so he gives 50% if that while doing it.

look around the league cp, curry, conley, parker, lilllard, rondo, etc always get solid screens from their bigs its not fair to HARDEN & he still puts up mvp numbers.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Knee jerk response after Dwight obviously had a shoulder injury?

Ignoring his previous two performances of 26-13-3blks and 24-16-4blks?

Failing to understand the value of multifaceted center on an NBA team and his corresponding salary?

Focusing on his obvious weaknesses while ignoring his strengths?

OP is a troll

13. Pete the Cheat

who would you have pursued through free agency as an alternative that gives us a better chance of winning a title? we are in year 2 of a 4 year contract...it isn't a franchise killer...

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What do you think a big man who is an elite rebounder and shotblocker , plays great defense and, oh by the way, also scores almost 20pts/game while shooting 56.8% from the floor is worth?

Who are all the players that we are prevented from signing? We had near max money last off season. You think we'd have been better off with even more money available and no Howard? Why?

15. Zbed

Zbed Member

Look at last years playoffs, I know it was a first round exit but Dwight played at an MVP level he was dominant on both ends of the court and shredded Rolo like he was supposed to. Dwight was by far our best player in the playoffs. This yeAr Dwight has been a little banged up and he's playing through injuries right now. Wait till he gets his body right. Relax

16. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

To be fair, referees like to call the offensive foul even if you set a nice good hard screen..so howard kind of have that in his mind. he still gets 1 a game tho.

17. Remii

Remii Member

I was in the 'Just Be Patient' camp because Harden still needed time to develop and mature. And we may be in year 2 of a 3 year contract because Howard can opt out after his 3rd year and bolt... And I think he will if the Rockets don't win a championship by then.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

Very confusing. Howard has been the same type of center since day one. He's never going to be fluid on offense in the post. His game is about raw athleticism, quickness and power.

Hell, I think I've seen MORE improvement in his post game the past two years with the Rockets. You can see Dream's impact on his footwork and timing. He's never going to be a polished offensive center but that wasn't expected of him. Was it?

Of course the defense, shot blocking, rebounding and easy dunks have always been there. That's what I was hoping we'd get and that's what we got. He's still a great player. It's all about expectations.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude stop rating everyone after 20-30 games.... watch for them for 1,2,3 years.

You won't have that problem.

20. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

DA hell with his post up game!!! Make your fcking free throws PLEASE GOD!!!