1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone Convince Me Dwight Isn't Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

You really think Howard is going to be happy anywhere else? They built the team around him. They made Powell an assistant. He basically got carte blanche here. Just sayin.

2. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

And Lin lost us game 4 and almost game 3 if it wasn't for Troy Daniels so what's your point???

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

We only need Dwight at max player level for 2 1/2 more seasons. I don't think any of his current or past injuries would deteriorate him that quickly. Houston does have some bad luck though.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Huh?

Well he is the best or one of the 2-3 best post defenders in the NBA. That alone is worth a max contract. The advanced stats show that teams attempt to score inside less against Dwight Howard than any player in the NBA.

He is also still an elite rebounder and shot blocker as well. He is one of only a handful of post players quick enough inside to make up for mistakes by other players defensively.

On offense, he certainly isn't Hakeem but he still shoots a high % from the floor and gets 20 points a game.

If you want further proof, his +/- is insanely good.

He is probably still the best all around center in the NBA, and actually plays center and not PF.

I can find flaws in his game, but he is overall a Hall of Famer and one of the 10 best players in the NBA.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't think its a question of being overrated or underrated. I think it has to deal with what we expected of him. Most of us including myself expected him to have developed a strong post game where we could feed him the ball in the post regularly with success. If we was going to develop a dominant post game he would of have developed it by now. We take what makes Dwight great and that's in the defensive end. To look at it in a different view, I kind of erased it from my mind that Dwight has a dominant post up game but I look at it as a great defender and rebounder who can occasionally score in the post.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Dwight is never going to be Ewing or Dream, but that doesn't mean he is overrated. I have personally always seen him as a more offensively productive version of Ben Wallace or Mutumbo -- and, if he can give us that, then he is well worth his money. And, in my opinion, that is indeed what he brings to the table.

He kinda looked bad last night going up against Anthony Davis -- but, guess what, almost everyone does. Anthony Davis is an all timer. Dwight is a first ballot hall of famer, Davis is something even more than that.

7. rocketseagles07

We know that. But he's getting paid to be a superstar. If Harden got hurt instead of Dwight what would our record be?

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

But, again, look who you are comparing Dwight to. James Harden has probably played better than every other player in the NBA this season -- of course Dwight isn't that good -- at this point in time, I am not sure anyone is.

Dwight is probably around the 15th or 20th best player in the NBA. He is worth his contract and properly rated.

9. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

Dwights post game is not his strong point. But you are only seeing that it seems and not realizing his strengths and benefits he brings to the team. Im not gonna list them, they are pretty obvious.
    But from your complaints it seems you would rather a center with a better post game and what ever deficiencies come with that , rater than have dwight post game and his strengths. and that player is Al Jefferson. Imagine how we would look with Al as our center.

The only center i would be excited about for our team instead of Dwight is Cousins.

10. J Hard

J Hard Member

you mean lin decided to actually show he had a pulse in game 5

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not overrated, he is just not as good as Anthony Davis.

DD

12. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

Also Dwight is playing really good this year. His best since Orlando. Once he puts together a string of games people will notice.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Not even on the planet of Nook should being one of the 2-3 best post defenders in the NBA alone be worth a max contract." Out of all the ridiculous things you posted, this might be the most idiot. You've really outdone yourself here.

14. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

When you look at Dwight you look with bias eyes therefore no matter what the situation, he can't win. In your eyes.

The man just missed 11 games. The man is logging ridiculous minutes and excellent stats for such early return. The man was dead tired last night like the rest of the team. It's why so many shots touched the rim but did not fall.

30 other teams would take him in a heart beat. Wake up to reality and get your viewing bias fixed.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

But. But ..:confused: really? Are you Portland fan?

16. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Expectations and projections will make your life miserable.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Dwight is a 20/10 player when healthy and one of the best defenders. If you were expecting his post game and FT's to magically improve after being in the league for a decade, then I got a nice timeshare for you.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

Setting unrealistic expectations is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Lin fans are an extreme example of this.

19. GranvilleWaders

I think you are looking at his "raw skill set" and rating that with a MAX Player value. In that case he probably isn't worth it.

However,

You need to factor the Rarity of his " physical skill set" and how hard it is to find a player that can do what he does and his size and athleticism. It elevates his value and
    gets him to MAX money.

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Dwight has his games, it's not like he plays every game like how he did last night.

Did you forget his perormance the night before dropping 26?