1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone Convince Me Dwight Isn't Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Really?..............................

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The biggest problem in Dwight's game are his free throws. Without being able to hit those free throws he will never be the great post up player he dreams of being, that's just how important free throws are. Why? Because why let him finish a post move or a power more when you can get some random bench player to foul him. His free throw shootings takes him out of games. Right now the focus should should be for him to seek some type of psychiatric help to figure out why he can't shoot free throws in game. Tim Duncan shoots a better percentage than he used to, find out what his secret is. Dwight is not tall like Kareem and he is not as big a Shaq, so he can't totally overpower you and he can't hook shot you to death, but just like Harden he can get to the free throw line every time down the court, he just needs to make them or stop posting up all together. He is a world class PNR player why not stick to that?

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said in another thread, Dwight is a rich man's DeAndre Jordan. I feel he's slightly overrated, especially after being able to see him more now that he is on the Rox. When he is utilized properly, Howard can still be a major advantage for the Rox against most teams. When the team force feeds him like they did last night, he is not that effective and in someways turns into a liability. Seeing a guy like Davis last night and how much more skilled he is I think has people questioning Dwight value. Few big players in the history of the league have Davis' skill set. The Rox just need to continue working on using Dwight properly and not fall into the trap of force feeding him.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

First, I unfortunately didn't see last night's game. It was the first game I missed this year. I was real disappointed, because I wanted to see more of Anthony Davis. I point this out b/c my feelings are not knee jerk. I've felt this way a long time.

My complaints stem from one simple fact - he makes $20 MILLION!!!!! One poster said that's 38% of the cap!!!! I understand he does some things well and some things not as well. For $20 million, you better be a dominant player on both sides of the ball - and not just a garbage man. The way you describe Dwight in support of him could easily be describing DeAndre Jordan or Omer Asik or a host of other players. If you're going to commit 38% of your cap to a player, then he better be able to create his own shot - or somebody else's - and deliver. That is my case, and I'm disappointed none of you have convinced me otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  5. dragician

dragician Member

he is overrated.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If you need to be convinced, you aren't paying close enough attention to Dwight or the NBA at large.

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This team deserves better fans.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Saying Dwight is overrated depends on how he is rated. He is up there with the best centers in the NBA today. Maybe the problem is in fans' expectations that Dwight will be something more than he actually is.

He will never be Hakeem Olajuwon.

To be fair, there is a lot more going on (especially on the defensive side of the ball) than free throws - but that's hard to fixate on as a fan.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Howard is what he is and is not overrated. He is one of the few elite centers in the league. So getting the max is really a given.

That said, I have been saying this since his signing. The Rockets would be better if they had a scoring PF to play with a D&R (defense and rebound) center. Howard is the best D&R center in the league. But there are other centers who can do similar things without the scoring and is much cheaper. Asik is the most obvious example.

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

He may actually be a bit over rated but most of the centers in the NBA are garbage compared to him. In another era he would probably be close to the Mutombo's and Ben Wallace's (two guys that did have max contracts in their day) than the top flight centers. So he still a good value for us. Unless we can trade him for Marc Gasol I'll stick with Howard.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. No one needs to convince you of anything, because your mind has already been made up.

2. He makes $20 million because he is easily a 20/10/2.5 player game in and game out. If that's not dominance, I don't know what you consider dominance to be. Unfortunately he has been injured which affects his performance.

3. DeAndre Jordan can barely average a double double and Asik is in the same boat. Both of them are half the offensive player that Dwight is.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I have a hard time understanding Dwight's demeanor on the floor. More often than not, he doesn't look serious out there. Sometimes, you can tell he is really bringing it out there and is seriously trying to dominate. Other times, not so much and looks aloof. And, what's with all the smiling on the court?

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There is no universal law that someone must be a two-way dominator to make a certain salary threshold.

The laws of supply and demand are definitely in effect, though. The athleticism and defense that Dwight brings at his position are difficult to find consistently in the NBA.

You can't grade him like you would grade a guard when scoring guards are a dime a dozen.

Calling Dwight Omer Asik is just hyperbole.

14. seeingred

seeingred Member

the craziest part of that match up was that he was able to get around Asik and Davis several times for a close look at the rim only to have it bounce out. His looked very fluid/explosive in his post moves but seemed to run out of gas at the rim.

i chalk it up to playing a game less than 22 hours after playing 5 quarters in Denver. The whole team looked gassed and everyone was bricking shots. Also, i'm sure his knee (and now, i guess, his shoulder) is bothering him which hurts a guy who relies on explosiveness. he still played great defensively.

15. oakdogg

This is a good point. I don't really understand it, and maybe that is just my problem. Dwight averages around 20 points with a high FG%, but he struggles creating his own shot. I watch all the games, but I don't really understand how he's doing it. Is he just the most opportunistic player in the game today?

You'd think - he's averaging 20 points a game, who cares if he creates his own shot? Well, the only real reliable creator we have is Harden. Maybe DMo, but it's a little early. When you need a bucket and Harden isn't having it, where do you go? Not to our $20 million man (38% of the cap). He can't deliver. We don't have anybody. I can't think of any other $20 million players in the history of the NBA who struggle creating their own shot - or other players' opportunities - as much as Dwight. I can think of many players who were great at defense and rebounding who cost less than $20 million.

16. oakdogg

OMG - are you telling me this was almost the first thread you did NOT post in?!?!?!?! That's unbelievable! I actually feel honored. I may not have deserved that long of a response, but who are we kidding? You know you were going to give it to me. I've never seen a post of yours that wasn't multiple paragraphs long whether it was valuable info or not!

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's simply not true to say Dwight can't get his own shot. It looks clunky and there are nights where it isn't working, but can definitely get his own shot.

His baby hook has developed into a weapon most nights and he can take his man from the block with that baseline spin move where he attacks the basket.

He's not Yao Ming, but he can definitely get his own offense. His problem is that it's mechanically clunky for him and so some nights it just doesn't work. He'll brick the hook off the iron, etc. But some nights it works great.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. He is HURT. His knee was already hurting and then he hurt his shoulder. Any time a player is hurt, his performance will suffer and results will be volatile.

2. He doesn't usually have any trouble getting his shot. Anyone who watches the game and more importantly understands the game sees it. One on one, he blows by opponents more often than not, but lately he has been injured and had missed most of the season. The problem however is that 1) we don't get the ball to him fast enough and the D has a chance to get ready and 2) he is constantly getting double teamed and fouled, most of which go uncalled.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

"Overrated" is entirely too subjective. I personally never rated him as a dominant offensive player. If he suddenly because pedestrian on defense and on the boards that would be another matter.

If you never watched him in Orlando and you just looked at his stats you might think he was a dominant offensive (post) player. Heck if you don't watch him NOW and see he's putting up 25/12 you might think that. Lobs, put backs, easy dunks don't always make someone a dominant offensive player.

Again, expectations and perspective.

20. PCT24

PCT24 Member

Part of the problem is that he posts up like 5 feet in from the 3 point line. My main issue with him is that he never kicks it out from his post position. Every time he touches the ball he's going to shoot. There's no "inside / outside" game with him.