1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Racism has cost Black Americans $70 Trillion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 14, 2020.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh. My. God. You are hands down the dumbest poster I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with. Just ignorant on all levels. My favorite is when you keep arguing an ignorant point with a slogan or a stupid anecdote that I’ve already factually disproven and then you admit you didn’t even read it and then you ramble on some more with a dumb slogan. It’s priceless.

#161 CometsWin, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What slogan. I have talked about. What slogan are you referencing
    I dont repeat talk show ****

I backed my credit score argemt up
    I called you out on supposedly teaching me black history

You aint said ****
    What anecdote what slogan

This is a slogan, Black Lives Matter

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@CometsWin

On slogans and anecdotes.

Every police shooting video is an anecdote given how often police respond to events

Again BLM is a slogan complete with the acronym everyone who read it recognized

The reason BLM has no real goals is it has no real numbers backing their claims.

JumpMan likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

First thing would be to make blacks in urban areas property owners rather than renters. There's an instant flip between ownership vs perpetual serfdom. You actually give a crap about your surroundings and will invest time, money and effort to build it up.

Nook, JumpMan, rocketsjudoka and 3 others like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Probably better off staying quiet ....

Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Homeownership is the primary cause for the 1000% wealth gap between the median white and black household. So ya being homeowners is a large part of solving that wealth gap.

Homeownership is the ticket to a comfortable middle class lifestyle in this country.

Nook and rocketsjudoka like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Houston is notorious for people dumping trash in remote or or poor areas. In the neighborhood i grew up its sad. No one including myself takes initiative to clean the trash. That being said we're talking about tons of trash.

Ghettos are like this all over this country. If dumping occured in white communities, the residents would come together to solve the problem

The issue represents so many internal faults we as blacks have.

We destroy our own property value. Obviously blacks in these communities see it but no one comes together. We just accept the dysfunction and lastly rely on the government to the solve the problem and blame the city for not stopping the dumping

The government wasn't set up with these issues in mind. Cleaning random dumping is something the government didn't expect.

Parents not giving a damn about school is something the schools didn't expect. We bring extra problems that cost extra money. We the system hates us now, wait until it wakes up to our extra expense

Edit: the drug sentence problem lingers from the crack epidemic. Police departments weren't designed to deal with kids killing each other in drive bys

Our problems are extra

#167 pgabriel, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Phillyrocket and JumpMan like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Invisible Fan

Last year i worked a seasonal job in Houston's Parks and Recreation. It involved cutting and trimming the grass and also emptying the trash and to cut you have to pick up the liter first.

The black neighborhood parkd were BY FAR the trashiest. No contest. Another anecdote for @CometsWin . i got tons

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We have similar backgrounds, I learned early to just say **** it and continue to work hard, mainly because I wanted stuff and knew working was the best way to get it.

ElPigto and RayRay10 like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's actually a good analogy.

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why?

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding of how the figure is determined is through centuries of uncompensated labor and then adjusting for inflation. Rochester admits this is very much an approximation but when given the large number of slaves and how long slavery existed it makes sense to me.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is something that has been pushed quite a bit in sociology in urban design circles. It's also the basis of Singapore's housing system. Singapore in the 1960's followed the trend of many countries and built these concrete box hi rises that look very similar to the "projects" in the US and council housing in the UK. Unlike those countries though Singapore's system worked and people didn't trash them. The key difference was that people would own their units and they became an asset to build wealth rather than just a shelter they rented.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's interesting but a Trump supporting friend who lives in exurban MN but comes to Minneapolis once a week to mow yards was flipping out about trash. He would post picks of trash in yards and say that proved that Minneapolis was a hell hole. What he really was upset about was that he had to pick up the trash and dispose of it and that would mean he had to spend more time in Minneapolis.

Yes trash happens. I pick up trash out of my yard daily. Am not happy about it but that doesn't make a city a hell hole. I've seen plenty of rural white neighborhoods with a lot of trash and junk in their yards.

To a point though that was brought up. People who own their own homes tend to take better care of it. If you know that your house is a wealth creating asset you are more likely going to take better care of it than if you're just renting and it is costing your money.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So having some issues with liberalism is attacking it?

I skimmed the paper you posted and to tell the truth I did not really understand a lot of how they came up with the summary or how it connected to the U.S. which pays out much more and has incentives to have more kids.

I am not knocking the study but I don't think it is relevant to the U.S. and I don't think it really debunked anything since women don't work in great numbers in those nations anyway.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So nobody else is gonna weigh in on what me and FC were talking about?

That's interesting.

This subject is not black and white it's not just a matter of fixing systematic racism it's also about how to use those new found opportunities or taking advantage of opportunities that are currently available.

Yes being black usually means you have to be twice as good to get equal footing and even then it might not matter but if you are twice as good you usually can still land on your feet.

If things actually change for the better systematically you will be ahead of the game.

MexAmercnMoose and RayRay10 like this.
  17. CometsWin

I would continue with you but you've shown without a shadow of a doubt that you're not worth the time. You refuse to read linked material that easily disproves your diatribes and your thoughts are just poorly conceived in general. It's like you think you're in a barbershop telling stories. Good lord.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. CometsWin

Another stupid anecdote that proves nothing. I didn't even read it either. Yay for me.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I have to admit I haven't been following closely what you and Fchowd are debating.

If the argument is whether Liberalism has been completely good for black Americans I would agree that it's not all good. I think there are questions about how the welfare state has worked and that there are programs that meant to do well but haven't lived up to their promises or caused other problems.

I read the introduction to the Google doc that Fchowd linked to and I can agree that the idea of the "Welfare Mother" and "Lazy Welfare" recipient is exaggerated. That said I'm still not totally sold on the idea of government financial support and don't have a firm opinion on UBI. I think in a time of crisis like now it makes sense but undecided as a normal part of policy.

My main argument against Liberalism in regard to race relations is the soft discrimination of low expectations and I've been pretty clear of how that applies to how Liberals talk about looting and destruction during protests but I think it does apply to other things. As you note being black has often meant you have to be twice as good in order to be treated as equal. That is largely because the expectation of blacks, especially in professional and academic fields, is that there is a low expectation about how they will perform. When it comes to Liberals especially in academia I think it has to do with the belief that we have to tread carefully avoid offense even when offense isn't intended, such as with the recent discussion of the USC professor and the Chinese word "Nai Ge".

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I guess it depends on philosophy. I believe due to the nature of causality that free will is very limited to humans. All of our decisions are based on the specific experiences we encountered.

So my take on social safety nets is that the safety net has nothing to do with the adults. The safety nets are for the children because I believe the damage caused by "disincentivizing work" for adults through social safety nets is miniscule compared to the damage caused by the children of those adults not receiving the most basic forms of child care such as shelter, nutrition, healthcare and education because I've said this before, early childhood development is the most important period for human congitive growth and determines the most whether a adult human will be a mentally stable productive adult.

Whatever amount of people are disincentivized from work which from research seems miniscule is easily countered by all the children that have at the very least have the bare necessities to develop.

A reform I can think that we both can agree on is having a more targeted safety net that makes sure that you just don't hand a check to the poor but rather give them vouchers specifically for rent, nutricous food and maybe things like early childhood education day care centers. That way adults can't abuse the system as much.

So for me it's not bigotry of low expectations really unless you consider having low expectations for children a form of light bigotry. But I think we should all have low expectations for children in terms of how resourceful they can be on their own and how competent they are at picking themselves from their own bootstraps.

#180 fchowd0311, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020