1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oregonian] McMillan blows whistle on officials

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xelloss12, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kevtse

kevtse Member

This really piss me off. What a joke.

2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

To be fair, refs usually allow a lot more physical plays between the big guys. I'm not saying those are not fouls by the Blazers centers, but the refs were very inconsistent so far in this series. But, hey, I'll take it if more foul are called against them ;)

For perimeter players, it's pretty consistent, you touch or bump the guy with the ball, it's a foul, both Lowy & Roy are the beneficiary of this.

Next game will be very hard for the Rockets, I expect the Blazers manhandle Yao with less foul called against them, and Roy will draw more fouls with his penetration, but the key will be Aldridge. If he stays a jump shooter, and Scola can match his play, then the Rockets can pull out a win at Portland.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

This is all part of the plan guys. The stonecutters have mapped it all out. We lose game 5 due to crap officials to extend the series ($$$$) then let the Lakers rest more and put in more plays.

Lakers then have an easier shot at us.

We will get ZERO calls against the Lakers, so enjoy this fair series while it lasts.

4. jedicro

jedicro Member

On the FT disparity. I'll break it down game by game.

Game 1
    Houston 24/28
    Portland 10/16

I said it then and I'll say it now. I thought this game was called in our favor. However it doesn't matter because we beat them by 30.

Game 2
    Portland 26/36
    Houston 22/32

10 of Portlands free throws came at the end of the game. So they would really have 26. That's a marginal difference in FT attempts.

Game 3
    Portland 9/10
    Houston 19/24

This is the one game where it looks like they have a complaint..until you remember to subtract the 8 free throws we got at the end from quick fouls. That would give us 16 free thro attempts to their 10. Still more, but hardly a landslide difference

Game 4
    Portland 17/17
    Houston 14/22

Same story. Subtract the 6 we got at the end and we only shoot 16 free throws, LESS than they shot.

Comments on the FT disparity for the series as a whole:

For the series we've shot 106 to their 79. That's a pretty big difference. If you subtract late game foul situations we've shot 92 to their 69. Even further, you can throw out the FT disparity of Games 1 (we blew them out so it doesn't matter) and game 2 (they won) and that would make it 27 for them and 32 for us (accounting for late game fouls)

That's the disparity they're essentialy talking about. 5 free throws across two games. It is nowhere near as one sided as they make it look.

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

great post man, I been saying that this whole time, that the late game fouling makes it seem like we been getting oh so much more free throws

6. gdepster

gdepster Member

Look people this isnt rocket science. Roy gets fouls because he DRIVES to the hoop to get them. Thats why he got 13 free-throws. Rocket fans want fouls called on Pryz and Oden when they are fighting to get position with Yao.Something that centers are supposed to do. In game 4 Oden and Pryz were called for touch fouls on Yao that if translated on to the perimeter would have been called on Artest and Battier because they're doing the same thing to Roy all game long. If we cant play phyical defense on Yao without getting whistled then why should Artest and Battier get away with it on Roy? Try and be objective here. This is the playoffs and we expect it to be physical. We wouldnt be complaining if they gave Roy that same benefit when he's being mugged all game long BEFORE he gets the ball. Also there was a huge difference in the way the game was called in game 3 which saw centers being allowed to play like actual centers and game 4 where ticky tack fouls were called on our Portland big men, many times away from the ball. Some consistency wouldnt hurt. It looked like the refs gave in to all the crying from Houston.

7. imatexan

imatexan Member

This is insane, Yao has been getting killed all series, that is all that needs to be complained about.

8. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

if oden and pryzflop actually doing something on the offensive end or aldridge start to use his body and athletism more than jump shots, they will earn more fouls.

9. Super Von

Super Von Member

How pathetic. They shoot nothing but jumpers and complain about not getting calls.

Roy went to the line every time he drove.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I guess Nate McMillan is unaware of the little secret in basketball that if you want to get to the line a lot you should get a Center who can score down low and thus draw fouls. It's only the formula that has resulted in about 3/4 of all the NBA Championships won in the last 50 years.

Maybe if Pryzbilla and Oden spent more time working on their post moves and less time finding ways to get "chippy" after plays are already over they might be able to help their team mates by becoming effective in the post.

11. Super Von

Super Von Member

Expect some ridiculously bad calls in game 5.

12. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Dear Nate,

You run a jump shooting team, outside of Roy not one person plays inside or takes it to the rack. Stop your complaining, look at the video and watch for yourself at how bad Yao gets beat up game after game. :mad:

13. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Cry me a river. Yao usually gets 4 fouls. Notoriously picks up fouls early in games, if any teams knows about b/s fouls its the Houston Rockets. He can whine about that all he wants, but no player like Yao gets inconsistent fouls. The way Oden and Prybilla grab at Yao? Who the hell is he kidding? I guess they have to find a way to excuse their losses.

When JVG did, it was plain as day. Then we find out the **** was rigged. Ball doesnt lie, and in this case it hasnt.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Um, please come back and show us multiple pics of Battier or Artest with two hands in the back of Roy, or Roy in a bearhug, with arms wrapped around his waist, or with one of his arms locked up, etc. If not, then please stop with this BS about calling it the same both ways. What you call "touch fouls" is mugging at it's best, and is not allowed.

Oden having his hand wrapped around Yao and imprding his progress is not a ticky tack foul. It's quite illegial, even though the refs allow it to happen most of the time. Yoru definition of ticky tack foul and physical play needs to be updated. Just because a play is away from the ball doesn't give your bigs the right to wrestle MMA style with our center just because he is bigger than everyone else on the court.

15. mi0304

mi0304 Member

Is McMillan the coach for WWE? And are Pryzbilla and 'Olden' wrestlers?
    Then I will go for Mcmillan saying that refrees were too sensitive. :mad:

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I was wondering the same thing. I don't remember Roy being fouled without the ball. No more so than any other perimeter player anyways. I will agree about the consistency of his drives, but really sometimes he gets hit pretty good with no call, and sometimes he gets a phantom foul. So it works out in the end. It kinda works the same way with Yao. Some light contact gets called for Yao, and some heavy contact gets missed. In this regard it would be nice for some consistency so I think both teams can agree on that.

I think the biggest complaint McMillian has is that the crew in game 4 had a more rigid interpretation of the rules that the previous 3 crews did not have. What sucks for Nate is the crews aren't responsible for what was and wasn't called the game before. What also sucks for Nate, is that the crew in game 4 had it right, at least with regards to the wrestling match with Yao.(I agree that Oden had at least one phantom call, but then they also missed a solid foul so it evens out)

Oh, and what sucks for Blazer fans is you can charge into Yao all day but if he goes straight up with both hands straight up defending his space, it wont be a foul on him. Just ask the rest of the NBA about this. During the regular season I used to love hearing the moans of the home crowd when Yao was on the road and this happened. Time after time they would crash into him, like waves on a sea wall. And usually the (no)call was made proper. Sometimes they would actually call a foul on Yao, whenever the refs could find a loophole. And believe me, the refs are just lookin for a reason to call the foul on him, be it a slightly downward arm, a hip moving sideways, anything. Might want to teach that to Oden and Pryzbilla sometime soon. Its not something they will learn over night, Lord knows it took Yao over a year once the rule was put into effect before the 07-08 campaign.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Mr Sonic is a little b****.

18. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

This is starting to sound more and more like the Dallas Mavs series we played when Cuban started complaining like crazy and sent in a tape about Yao and how he sets picks. We all know what happened after that (with Donaghys statements a few years later) I just really really hope this doesn't cause us to lose the series by having the officials get after us just because of some damn whining. Call it fair, I have no problem with that, but please for the love of god don't just call fouls just to even up the fouls per team.

19. SeeingRocketRed

But that's assuming both teams foul the same amount. Which they do not. Yao went from averaging 20/10, and getting 24 in the first half of game 1, to being a non-factor on the offensive end because he was murdered, mugged, and molested every single time down the floor. Finally the refs put a stop to it in game 4, and the Blazers cry holy hell. Did they see nothing wrong with the headlocks they put on Yao each time down the floor? Hellooooo? As I said before, it's basketball, not rasslin'.

Touch fouls don't get called in the playoffs. Getting grappled by a pair of 7 footers, yeah, it's a foul. Everytime.

Wake up Blazer fans. Roy was aggressive and got to the line. The rest of your team is soft, and didn't. End of story.

20. SeeingRocketRed

No,the centers were not allowed to play like centers. They were allowed to literally put both arms around Yao. Come on, amigo, take off the Blazer goggles. There is a difference between physical and legit, and simply grabbing a dude and refusing to let go.

Watch Yao play defense on your centers to see how strong but non-fouling defense is played. He doesn't grab them. He doesn't wrestle them. He simply plays strong, and shuts their ish down, generally without fouling. The reason those fouls were called in Game 5 was to prevent the assorted assaults which had taken place in each of the previous games (since the first half of Game 1). Wake up dude. If Oden and Pryzbilla hadn't been constantly fouling, then those fouls would never have been called. It's about more than the situation in the instant, which is why merely watching THAT replay is not enough to give you an idea of what is going on. If your announcers haven't explained that to you, then maybe you should get new ones. And heck, some centers that don't cheat, while you're at it.

Thank you very much, please come again.