1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oregonian] McMillan blows whistle on officials

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xelloss12, Apr 27, 2009.

1. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

LOL! Nate McMillan complained about Greg Oden's foul trouble?

Oden is the foul machine. He's the leader of personal fouls per game in regular season for all the players that played more than 15 minutes.

2. Ehter

Ehter Member

Feels nice to be in a position where the other team is whinning about refs ;)

Anyways, I dont really mind, because Portland fans mostly complain about how Yao is officiated:

- on defense, they dont understand why Przbilla and Oden get call for all those fouls, because it might the first time in 7 years that they are called.

- on offense, they dont know that when Roy runs into Yao, who has his arms straight up, he wont have the call. Again, this has been called correctly only recently.

After 7 years seeing Yao getting officiated, Rockets fans are expert in certain parts of the rule book :D

Blazers fans just dont know about those

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

So I just watched Game 4 again and charted all the plays for both teams. It would take too long to chart details, so I simply tallied the amount of "aggressive possessions".

An aggressive possession is defined as any possession where an aggressive offensive move was made all the way to the rim (or into the defender) and was contested. For example, Brandon Roy had a breakaway dunk with no defender contesting...that would not be considered aggressive.

I also did not include Yao's point blank jump hooks because they are not, in my opinion, "aggressive" in the sense that they are likely to force the defender into a foul...which is what I'm really trying to determine here. On top of that, I did not include the last 3 possessions of the game for either team since Portland was forced to foul and launch 3's, thus skewing the results.

Here's what I found...

[​IMG]

Translation: STFU, Nate!

Note: Despite the Rockets' aggressive 3rd quarter, they were being rejected at the rim on just about every drive. Thus the aggressiveness did not pay off and there was a 12 point swing in the quarter.

#83 ClutchCityReturns, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Would be nice to have added how many of those aggressive possessions were rewarded with free throws in each quarter.

This one made me laugh really hard:

The irony is too delicious. I don't think there's enough cheese in the world for that much whine.

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I agree, but that's too much detail for me to care about at 2am. Plus if I include that it would only make sense to include how many aggressive possessions were TO's, or blocks, or misses, etc. Just wasn't up to it.

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

Wah wah wah

**** you Nate.

7. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

Well said. People need to realize some of the fouls oden and pryz got called on them, if they happened to yao, we would have been PISSED.

it just sucks that this ref thing has become a side story, but hey, its the playoffs.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bingo

I expect Yao, Scola, Ron and Shane to all end up with at least 4 fouls each
    in this next game

Rocket River

9. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Cry me a river. Its all just a ploy to get into the refs heads and get any advantage they can.. I mean they ran that fake timeout ploy so they are hardly a team that just goes out to play a game of basketball fair, they are no Utah though however. There is no way a head coach of the NBA would be that dumb to use free throw difference when he runs a jump shooting team.... although I have questioned some of his decisions this series so maybe he isn't so bright.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

news flash portland:

The nba is terribly officiated. However, the inconsistency of calls is the one consistency you can take solace in. There is no "better" or "worse" treatment, because it all sucks.

Caveat: Yao Ming. That guy is ****ing hammered every night, all night. Wanna complain about your center's fouls? Try, oh I dunno, NOT FOULING first.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

How can a coach complain about the free throw disparity when his team had MORE free throw attempts on the road in game 4 before they had to intentionally foul at the end. Portland had 17 free throw attempts. Houston had 22, six of which came in the last minute on intentional fouls.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

The whining about Yao Ming is just plain insulting. Ridiculous.

If they called every foul (heck, just two hands to the back) they'd both foul out by the 2nd quarter.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Please. Don't let facts get in the way of a good whine.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This series has turned into a complete and utter joke now. Even if we win, then we didn't really win because it is the refs' fault. Yao was getting manhandled early in the series at their place and they didn't call it. We believed they were not officiating fairly as the NBA rules state and were getting away with a lot of stuff on Yao. It is also clear that Yao is officiated differently because of his size advantage. Then, they start calling the manhandling of Yao more when we play at home and we get a new officiating crew. Questionable timing on the change in officiating...right after it is brought up in the media by sports writers and our coach. Now, it appears Nate is trying to do the same thing to counter.

It's obvious a lot of Portland peeps are blaming the refs for being down 3-1. We would probably be doing the same thing if we were down 3-1. I expect that Yao will not get a lot of calls in his favor tonite when fighting for position.

This whole thing really is the refs and league's fault. They are not officiating consistently and this has brought on the situation now that each team is crying foul. This has tainted the whole series in my book. This is bullcrap.

15. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

The real elephant in the room - when the game is officiated fairly, the Rockets will typically get more calls because even with a sandwich defense, the other team has to foul to stop him from gaining position and scoring.

Portland doesn't have an effective defensive five against Yao, they have 12 fouls to give.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Also, what's going on with how they are calling fouls per defenders on Yao is a completely different situation than what is happening with Roy. You cannot compare the two. One is battling for position...the other is driving to the hoop. Portland doesn't have a center that even comes close to comparing to Yao...so Nate goes and takes a comparison of them supposedly being fouled on drives to the basket and not getting calls. That has to be compared to how we are officiated when we drive to the basket. Are they calling the fouls equally when teams go aggressive and drive to the basket? The comparison Nate brings up is apples to oranges. It doesn't work.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Someone needs to show up at the game tonight with a poster that says, "Hey Nate, here's a lesson: This is a foul:", with that photo below it, and, "This is good defense:" with Battier's hand right in Roy's face.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He's right: it's not consistent.

Welcome to the NBA, Coach.

19. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

We got a Blazers fan here, or is that you Nate? ;)

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What about them fouling on purpose late in the games? Doesn't that add to the FT disparity?

They have been behind, and those teams usually foul more...as much as 6-8 more FT attempts a game because of it.

This is just Portland whining.

DD