1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oregonian] McMillan blows whistle on officials

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xelloss12, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Crush

Crush Rookie

Coach is trying to do all he can to win the series.

War is deceit

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Every team that loses whines about refs, I'm just glad we are in the winning teams position rather than the losing one as we were the past 10 years.

3. Landlord Landry

McMillan blows <strike>whistle on</strike> officials.

4. bloop

bloop Member

If the refs called every foul by the book Oden and Portland's entire front line would all foul out guarding Yao in 10 minutes.

Having said that, officiating has been biased in Houston's favor.

Ignoring everything else, you can make that statement on the strength of one thing: Roy hasn't been getting "star calls." That's what Nate is crying about straight up... he wants the refs to give his star "star calls." He's whining and crying because he's thinks (correctly) that this series would be tied up or Portland leading if Roy got bailout calls like Lebron and Wade in the final 2 minutes

Dont get me wrong this entire series' officiating has been a joke just like all NBA games are: Dudes are WWE wrestling Yao in the paint. Oden gives Yao a scar. Phantom calls in the 3rd quarter take Yao out of games 1 and 2. Veteran team gets the calls, rookies dont etc.

Dont live too high on the hog because Houston is coming out ahead net-net on officiating this series. It looks like Stern actually wants Yao and Houston to beat Portland and face off versus LA. Just wait a week. This BBS will be up in flames after the refs jack Houston and Yao and give call after call to Kobe and Pau.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I guess Nate doesn't realize time on the court doesn't dictate how many fouls are called on you, its how many times you foul.

6. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

No matter how bad the refs are against any team, you cant blame them for losing 4 games. One is pushing it already.

The only way you can blame them for one game is if they literally miss a call that leads directly to a game winning shot... Like Lebron James traveling in the playoffs against the wizards that one game.

If we do advance and play the Lakers and lose, I am not going to blame the refs for it. That is the easy way out.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I guess Nate figures...

'well, it worked for Mark Cuban'

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The officiating can't be that bad. I mean, the last three games were very close. I wouldn't say any team had the advantage. If anything, in game 2, the refs fell for Scrubylla's flops every damn time.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Great. Now watch as Portland proceeds to get every single call their way tomorrow night, and watch as Yao gets called for 2-3 ticky tack calls in the first half. This is how it always goes.....squeaky wheel gets the grease.

10. AttackTheRack

AttackTheRack Member

Houston fans had better enjoy the grace of the hallowed NBA refs while we can! You can bet the games with the Lakers will be reffed just a tad differently. The Lakers/Cavs Final has been pre-ordained.

11. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

they should have stopped writing the article name after the first two words.

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea i expect to have some calls be different and we will have to win at home.

13. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

How f'in' funny is this? Opposing players are forced to rape Yao to prevent him from being the best center in the game. We can try to talk about how fronting Yao = Rockets demise, but you know what? That is only true when the player guarding Yao holds him to the ground. I know we talk about how unathletic Yao is, which is the complete truth. But good lord, he is 7'6"!!! All we need to do is throw him the lob pass, but when he's held and/or bumped by the double teamer behind him, he can't catch it!

Now Nate wants to complain?

Whatever. I just lost a little respect for him.

14. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Isn't there an analysts out there showing how many shots were taken where?

ie: how many times portland took jump shots compared to driving??

and really.. if I had the time, I wouldn't mind reviewing both home games and counting how many times Pryz/Oden were illegally defending him (illegally as far as textbook rules are concerned) and It's a wonder the entire front line didn't foul out by the first half..

Despite Yao getting more calls going his way, there were STILL moments where I found myself yelling at the screen as (especially) pryz would literally hook or wrap his arm around yao's entire body

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

wow what a loser! Nate quit yapping please. Now I know for sure the refs will give them all the calls in game 5. This sucks.

16. nolimitnp

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!!

17. SeeingRocketRed

Exactly. Stop trying to mug Yao, and just take your arse-kicking like a man. Yes, it's impossible to stop Yao without fouling him. That doesn't mean you can foul him with impunity. And your weak-arse players keep trying to grapple Yao into submission holds. Maybe you should tell them not to. And the line that Portland is being as aggressive as we are is just plain wrong. Roy got his because he takes it to the rack. No one else really does.

18. jedicro

jedicro Member

There have been 101 fouls called on Portland, and 83 fouls called on the Rockets.

If you subtract the late game fouls that occured at the end of games 2, 3 and 4 it comes to 94 against Portland and 78 against Houston. They're averaging 4 more fouls per game.

Now which team is it that is employing a very aggressive fronting technique that restricts teh movement of an offensive player on the other team?

Also, the one player the Blazers have that is consistenly driving to the rack has how many free throws? Mmmkay..

I know Yao is big, but that doesn't give you free reign to grab him and and lean on him as they do every single time they front. And while I'll agree there have been some ticky tack fouls, there have also been a lot of missed calls. The same could be said for Roy driving to the basket. Sometimes he gets hammered and he gets nothing, other times he gets breathed on and goes to the line.

Like they're saying over and over, you can't have it both ways. Get more aggressive and take it to the hoop and you'll get calls. And stop hanging on Yao and you'll stop being called on.

19. ibm

ibm Member

what ft disparity was mcmillan talking about? they had to foul us at the end of the game. otherwise the ft numbers are pretty even as well as the foul calls.

20. nolimitnp

Ding, ding, ding, ding again!! I know I just posted a minute ago, but God, I live in Portland and have to listen and put up with all hate.

It would be easy for me to jump on the Blazers bandwagon. Hell I've lived in Portland for almost 8 years (in June), but I still remember my "Clutch City" poster with Dream, Bob, and Clyde. I love the Rockets, I so wish I could be in Houston right now! Any other Rockets fan in Portland? Asian Sensation????