1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man doesn't follow police commands, gets popped after reaching into car in Tulsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

PR = bad
    PP = good

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You said they shouldn't do it for PR. I'm saying PR is just 1 factor. You can't make decisions based purely on PR, but public trust should be a factor in regards to these cases.

What PR shouldn't affect is the trial itself.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Donny is convinced about the window being all the way up based on the fuzzy still frame from a zoomed in video. He also continues with the narrative that he had his hands up. They didn't shoot him when his hands were up.

He walked away with his hands up towards the vehicle. He puts his arms down and appears to be reaching his left arm towards the vehicle. I couldn't imagine coming back with a guilty verdict based on the video, even if I think she acted improperly. I have the benefit of hindsight.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the entire reason there was a trial was for PR purposes or call it "public trust" if you choose. It really doesn't seem like there was any other factors involved in that decision given how flimsy the case was to begin with and how easy it was for the defense to win the case. So other than being a waste of time and pubic money, it didn't hurt anyone so I guess it's okay.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw him trying to push those narratives, but they are completely irrelevant. All that matters is that the officers reasonably believed that the window was down. The officers being mistaken in that reasonable belief is not evidence in wrongdoing so there's no reason to even argue that point. The fact that they both reacted by firing their weapons at the same time suggests that both officers considered what he was doing to be a threat at the same time. It was always going to be impossible to prove otherwise in this case.

The lessons to be learned here is that you REALLY shouldn't do PCP.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Instead of screaming "Racism!!" at every turn, how about instead you channel your energy into obeying and respecting police, and doing everything they ask? It's really not that hard, folks.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You just sharing your personal favorite pictures, or did you have something to add to the conversation?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Among other things that clearly show the window is up, namely the fact that there is a blood stain consistent with the blood on the side of the car flowing down what must be a magical invisible barrier, and the fact that in the video there is a skyline/horizon line being reflected consistently everywhere along the car that there is glass, including the place where the front window would be.

Eh? Is there some new evidence on that? I'm admittedly going on what we *last see* of Crutcher, which is him with his hands up on a sealed vehicle.

After that moment, the dash cam gets obscured, the police helicopter circles the car, and Crutcher goes out of sight for just a split second. The next thing we see is a dead man on the ground.

Just enough doubt left for Shelby to wiggle through what was probably a degree too high on the manslaughter charge scale.

A few other things don't sit well with me about this case, either.
    -Shelby had a taser and chose to use deadly force
    -Her colleagues present had drawn *their* tasers
    -Her colleague fired his taser *first*
    -The police department changed their story multiple times after the fact

Just a turd tornado all the way around.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll just take these one at a time and hopefully this ends or furthers the conversation.

The window being up or down is completely irrelevant in this case because the officer thought it was down. That's the ONLY thing that matters with respect to the window in this case and the officer believing the window was down is not disputed.

These are better taken together, first off, she chose to draw her firearm due to realizing that the guy was on PCP and she was worried about it potentially not being effective if she needed to use it. The decision to draw her firearm was separate from her decision to use deadly force. Also, her colleague has said that if she had drawn her taser, he'd have drawn his firearm instead of his taser.

As to this, they fired at practically the same time reacting to the same thing. If she had drawn her taser instead of her firearm, the only difference is that it would have been her colleague who would have fired the shots instead of her.

The police department's story is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the facts of the case.