1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man doesn't follow police commands, gets popped after reaching into car in Tulsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 19, 2016.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cops have a whole lot of power for being so poorly trained. I can imagine that being on drugs makes and attempting to follow police commands is a tad difficult.

All of that said, such a rough job. Maybe the most difficult. I have a hard time blaming a cop for reacting in such way with all the extreme situations they are exposed to.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't think that the trial would last that long, the fact that the guy was high on PCP, acting erratically and disobeying her orders, along with the belief that he was attempting to retrieve something from the car should be enough for her to win the case pretty easily.

It's honestly a bit weird that they even brought this case against her in the first place given how unlikely it is that there would be a conviction, but I guess the case could make some people feel a bit better about things.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Shelby acquitted.

It's hard to watch that video and see a justification for use of deadly force.

Dude has his hands above his head on the (completely sealed) car and is immobile.

I think it's almost certain that Shelby panicked when she heard the taser go off next to her.

Seems like another situation where a police officer exercised poor judgment, but the circumstances were murky enough to let them walk.

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

In the event that my mene is perceived as me taking a position, it isnt.

I feel bad for the victim. He didnt deserve to die, but I also recognize that policing is a very dangerous and scary job where you need to react quickly

The meme is just about how condescending that "repeat after me" line in the OP is lol

7. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Yep, follow the police intstructions to the letter with your hands in the air and keep your mouth shut you should be safe.
    No cop is gonna be stupid enough to take unnecessary action with dashboard cams, body cams and onlooker cams all watching.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I agree that following orders is the correct approach and that a police officer's job is dangerous, thankless, and extremely difficult, you also can't ignore the times when bad decisions are made and terrible actions are taken...

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I understand that Shelby testified the window was open. Was there any testimony that it was closed? Sure looked like it was closed from the pictures/videos.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In the video it looked open to me. In the still frame with blood it looked closed. Obviously video isn't as clear as seeing it person, so she would have an easier time telling, but when she fired the shot she also had a bad angle to see the window (the other officers had a better view and maybe why they didn't fire).

I have a hard time disagreeing with the jury on this one. I think they prosecuted because of the potential protests, despite knowing the case had little chance of being successful (not that I disagree with them doing that).

11. juicystream

That South Carolina cop planted evidence. There have been other examples of officers being busted by dashboard cams. While I agree following orders will generally keep you safe, video certainly won't help other than to bust the cop after the fact.

12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Those officers were dealt with according to the law.
    You can be damn sure that if a police officer aims a gun at me, my ass is freezing and my mouth is shut.
    Why increase the chance of getting shot by doing anything else?

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Dirty cops get caught all the time, but in the meantime, I still ain't giving them a reason to shoot me.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

#454 DonnyMost, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

What do you if two different officers give conflicting commands?

Common one is get on the ground and don't move.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I have a big problem with them doing that. As a prosecutor, they have an ethical obligation not to proceed with a prosecution if they do not have a good faith belief that the case can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. That other people who are not involved are going to piss and moan about it doesn't alter that obligation and should not be a consideration. People's freedom is at stake, they can't abuse their power to avoid bad PR.

17. juicystream

18. juicystream

They shouldn't do it just for PR, but in a case like this, yes I like a jury to make decisions. Even if it is just put before a grand jury. It is important for public perception that the prosecution be independent of the police, but they have a difficult time doing that.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Duh. There was no chance this was going to end any other way. Hell I'll just re-post what I put earlier when I heard it was going to trial.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

How can you say they shouldn't do it for PR, and then say the reason they should do it is public perception? That is the same thing. PR (public relations) is how you affect public perception. If the DA doesn't think there is sufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, they have no business taking the case to a grand jury, filing a complaint, or taking any other prosecutorial action. They are supposed to review the investigation and decline to prosecute. It is a sad state of affairs for legal ethics that prosecutors are taking cases to court that they know cannot be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, simply to appease the mob.