1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man doesn't follow police commands, gets popped after reaching into car in Tulsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 19, 2016.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't think we disagree. I'm not saying that the various police shootings we hear about fall into his category. Most do not. There are a very small number that do.
    Are there already 'remedies' for this, via charging said officers. Yes, but rather than pursue remedies after the fact, I think it would be beneficial for all involved if even those few killings were reduced, or even if just trainings/policies were enacted, as that would not only possibly reduce some of the incidents, but go a long ways towards reassuring the public, which would reduce tensions.

I have no problem if a big part of that 'training' includes communication to the public about the best things to do when in a situation involving the police.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'm all for a better trained police force, but when it comes to the public, a large number of them are just conspiracy nuts when it comes to the police. I'm afraid nothing will fix that. As of now there's only maybe a few unjustified police shootings per year and you have numerous people believing that cops are out hunting down black people and murdering them in the streets. You just can't fix stupid on that level, it has to be allowed to die out and we just have to hope they don't pass it on to future generations.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Oh, I don't expect it to have a 'real' impact on the public. But I do think it will help make people realize, as you have been pointing out, that a fair portion of this is on them. It will also help in a PR manner, and this is as much about public relations as anything else.

Conversely, I think recognition, by the general public, that blacks DO get treated differently will also help. Statistics show they aren't actually killed when unarmed by police at any higher rate (actually, even a bit lower) than whites, but they are treated differently in all sorts of other ways. It's very hard to meet a black person that hasn't had this happen...so it's pretty prevalent. This is what has led to the current situation as much as anything..

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Ordinary people need training too. In particular, why not train drivers on etiquette for police stops?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's a good idea. Make it part of driver's ed taught in school. Perhaps spend a full semester on how to get pulled over. Probably more important than a LOT of BS electives in high school and it could keep some of the kids out of jail one day.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, it obviously doesn't. That must be a white privilege thing where you think we all live in a country where truth and justice prevail. Such complete nonsense. Thankfully technology has come to a place where more and more cops are being recorded lyng their asses off, or as you call it, imagining what they think happened that didn't actually happen.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Damn Bobby,

You sound as old as me.... No Drivers Ed in High School anymore....

They actually tell you in drivers ed to listen to the commands of the police if they pull you over... They may need to spend more time on the subject, but they do teach it.

T_Man

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, well damn. Maybe that's the problem, Driver's Ed was one of the most immediately practical courses I took in high school. Even back when I was in school when we were riding dinosaurs they still had plenty of BS electives, I can't imagine what it must be like now. Hard to believe that something as valuable as Driver's Ed would be cut out.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

HA!!!!!

Yeah you have to go to a private entity for drivers ed now.... Trust me.. 4th and last kid will be starting next year....

As far as the electives go... Kids have a required number of credits to take (just like college), when most finish those credits they go home early (usually it's juniors and seniors).

A lot of kids take Dual Credit classes, to get the basic classes out of the way, so a lot of kids are sophomores by the time they enter their first fall semester.

T_Man

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah let's review.

So people are supposed to remain calm and obey orders with a gun waving in their face, yet officers can flip out like in this case...something is amiss with this.

DD

No Worries likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....that's how it works. The officers have authority over you in that situation and you just have to accept it, you are not on equal footing. I know that's probably hard for overly entitled millennial snowflakes, but it's just life.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's how it works in backwards countries and police forces like the USA, but other developed countries have a more equitable circumstances between citizens and the police.

13. DaDakota

Not true in all cases.

https://www.quora.com/When-does-a-police-officers-command-have-the-force-of-law

There are some cases it is true, and some that it is not. You do not HAVE to abide by everything they say, they are PUBLIC servants they work for you.....we pay their salaries.

They should be held to higher standards, and prosecuted when they break the law - the inconsistent training, the bottom of the barrel recruiting has caused us to have a police force that is not effective and is losing respect in this country, and deservedly so.......there are some great officers out there, but the bad ones, need to be weeded out.....and that means the ones who are not all that educated, may be time to require a COLLEGE diploma.

DD

No Worries likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Also,

In the US, you must stop if commanded to do so by an officer. As soon as he begins to ask you questions, however, you have the right to ask, "Am I under arrest?" If he says yes, say, "On what charge? OK, I do not wish to communicate with you without legal representation present." In this instance, you do have to stop until he either lets you go or takes you into custody. However, you do NOT have to answer any questions.

If he says, no, you are not under arrest, say, "I do not wish to communicate with you for any reason without legal representation present. May I continue on now?" They have to either let you go or get a warrant for your arrest.

DD

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

BigTeKKK's avatar confirms he is inclined to bunghole smack.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course LE deserve to be treated with respect and compliance, when lawful, many of you though seem to look at it as though the proper conclusion of not treating LE with respect is death. That is certainly not what the law says and in cases like this where there is very clear evidence that LEO overreacted the LEO should be posecuted.

The argument that yes LE have more power than you do so therefore they are right, might makes right. Is not what our laws are about and just guarantees that there will be more distrust between the communty that LE is sworn to protect and the LEO's. It is in the interest of LE themselves to aggressively address these situations.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is neither here nor there. Furthermore, the report doesn't say that he was high on PCP at the time of the incident, only that it was in his system. If that's definitive, then the toxicology report is completely immaterial.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

+1

Any court of law worth its salt will boot that right out the window.