1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man doesn't follow police commands, gets popped after reaching into car in Tulsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 19, 2016.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Even if he was high there is no reason he should be shot. Do we live is Saudi Arabia now. It would kind of explain why he wasn't following her commands.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO it was never in question. The officer was trained as a drug recognition expert, the guy was a former dealer that just barely got out of prison, and they found PCP in the vehicle. Her suspicion that he was on PCP has been shown to be accurate and there was a fear that he might turn violent due to being under the influence. With that known, the shooting will be deemed 100% justifiable......but that won't satisfy the anti-cop crowd so maybe we'll have some more riots but afterwards that'll be that till they find another excuse to riot.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not true. The officer had drug training in order to identify those under the influence and she believed the man to be under the influence of PCP before any additional evidence was available. You then find PCP in the vehicle, and it is found in his system. That evidence supports the expert making it about as solid as it gets.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

just because someone is on drugs, doesnt give u the right to execute them....especially with their hands up.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When someone is on drugs, ignoring commands and the officer thinks they are trying to get something out of their vehicle such as a weapon (rightly or otherwise) then it's a legally justifiable shooting. What it comes down to is

1. Don't do PCP

2. Obey police commands, it's the law!

The police don't have to wait till you finish going for a gun to shoot you. In real life, something like that happens so quickly that it would be an unreasonable expectation. That said, there's good news! Follow the 2 rules above, and you won't have any problems.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The meteorologist said that there is a chance of rain, the sky is gray and my backyard is muddy, therefore it must've rained today.

See what I did there?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you brought up something unrelated.

A better analogy would be to a meteorologist standing outside saying that it is raining and then that being reinforced by radar suggests that a rain shower passed through the area and the ground being wet.....also it was being filmed at the time and the video showed what looks like water falling from the sky.

When you have an expert eyewitness with that kind of supporting evidence, there's no casting doubt.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And the officer next to her had training to know when to use a tazer. And we all had training as kids to know when a window is rolled up.

No Worries likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ah, Bobby will now tell you that that other officer should be re-trained for failing to follow procedure.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty easy to say not being a part of the situation, and that's why I generally write off these kinds of ignorant positions. If you were actually in the situation yourself, you'd find that it's not quite as easy as it is while sitting on the couch with a bird's eye view. In fact, people who complain the most are usually those who are the quickest to pull the trigger when in a dangerous situation themselves.

Also, I'm not sure you know this but tasers have had a fairly inconsistent history when it comes to taking down those on PCP, if you believed that the person was potentially within reach of a firearm, which is the officer's story, using a taser wouldn't be the right call knowing the guy was on PCP. Sure, she could have and arguably should have tried it earlier when he was ignoring commands and still far away from the vehicle's door, but that's a different story.

What this comes down to is a legally justifiable shooting of a criminal that just couldn't stay off drugs even after prison.

12. heypartner

You make it sound like she was alone. There were at least 3 pistols aimed at him by officers standing right next to her...and like two more officers just feet behind her.

#432 heypartner, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still not sure how that's relevant. If he really was going for a gun inside the vehicle as she feared he was.....she still potentially ends up shot. If you look for it, you can find several instances of people pulling guns out of their cars and shooting officers. Sure the person pulling the gun eventually gets shot by the larger number of officers, but that doesn't exactly help those who are shot first.

Given that you are never in danger, it's easy to second guess decisions made on the ground while everything is happening, but if you were in that situation yourself or had ever been in that kind of situation I think you'd see things a bit differently.

14. heypartner

Zero relevance...the window was rolled up.

Speaking of trained experts and relevance of evidence ...

bottomline: If the charges are dropped by the DA because he tested positive for PCP, then the toxicology is relevant. If they are not dropped, then the DA believes there were others ways to handle that situation, and s/he is a "trained expert" at judging relevance of evidence.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm not saying she did the right thing, I'm just saying they won't be able to hang manslaughter in the first around her neck. If I'm wrong (and I'm still living), let me know so I can come here and admit it.

16. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever been in that sort of situation?

eta: Pole's avatar makes me post this for no pertinent reason whatsoever

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It still looks like a live execution in that helicopter tape. Damn shame.

This reminds me of my college roommates friend, who tripped acid at a rave, had to have five grown officers tackle his white skinny 6"4 butt to the ground because he panicked when he got lost outside.

Good thing he didn't have freakish special powers like black people.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

First as in voluntary? Of course not.

This is negligence/recklessness.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ting-terence-crutcher-pcp-20161012-story.html

She's going to walk. They're over-reaching with first-degree MS, and the fact he was under the influence of PCP (in addition to the fact we are missing Shelby's dashcam footage from the first few minutes of their encounter) is going to leave too much of a hole to fill in for a conviction.

Another instance where a body camera would have provided critical evidence for a conviction or exoneration.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

/rekt