1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Les Willing To Pay Luxury Tax Next Year? (I Think He Is)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 5, 2009.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This topic has been brought up in a couple of different threads, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

For all of those who are convinced that Les Alexander will not pay one cent of luxury tax this year (as he has consistently done in the past), I am inclined to disagree. Most years, I would definitely agree with you. But this year may be different, and here's why:

--With Yao likely out the entire season and T-Mac likely out most of the year, the Rockets will have to fight very hard just to make it to the playoffs. While several people like to point to the Rockets' lack of apparent talent as causing the Rockets to inevitably fall to the bottom of the standings and be in line for a top 5 pick, I just don't see it that way. Winning in the NBA is about much more than pure basketball talent. Go ask the Clippers how far their talent carried them last year. The Rockets have a great coaching staff, a great system, and players who are familiar with and know how to run that system effectively. Guys like Battier, Hayes and Scola are proven winners, and each is the very definition of the word "overachiever". I truly think that the Rockets could still compete for one of the final playoffs spots in the West. The likeliest outcome is that the Rockets either get the 8 seed or fall just outside the playoff picture. They definitely will not have one of the bottom five records in the NBA, that's for sure. That being said, if the Rockets are just one or two minor moves away from getting into the playoffs, I truly believe that Les will pay up to make them happen. Heck, he's already paid $6M just to get three second round draft picks. If he has to exceed the luxury tax by a few million dollars to secure a playoff berth, he'll do it. The additional revenues generated by hosting at least two (and possibly three or more) playoff games will largely make up for (or even surpass) a minor dip into luxury tax territory.

--Brian Cook WILL be traded shortly before the February trade deadline to help alleviate the Rockets' overall luxury tax picture. And it will likely be an almost identical trade to the Steve Francis deal from last year. Cook plus a future second round pick and/or cash to a team under the salary cap in exchange for a (lesser) future second rounder. Contrary to popular belief, Brian Cook's $3.5M expiring contract is not the least bit desirable to other teams simply because it is an expiring contract. Heck, Steve Francis only made $2.6M, and the Rockets had to pay someone to take him. They're not going to find a taker for Cook that would involve them getting anything of value in return except luxury tax relief and a trade exception (which actually would prove helpful in the summer of 2010 and at the February 2011 trade deadline). The Rockets (or, more accurately, the other team) will wait until Cook has already been paid as much of his salary as possible by the Rockets before he is traded. The other below-the-cap team will absorb the full $3.5M cap figure but will only actually have to pay about $1.6M in actual paychecks to Cook, which will be more than offset by the cash thrown in the deal by the Rockets. My point here is, Cook's salary will likely be cleared off the Rockets' books before the end of the season, opening up more room (albeit still a little above the luxury tax threshold) to spend--via S&T using trade exceptions--on players who can actually, you know, contribute.

--According to several ESPN sources, the total pot of luxury tax payments that is shared in equally be all teams not paying the tax--which is THE reason why most owners refuse to pay even one cent of luxury tax--is expected to be significantly lower in 2009-10. The main reason is because the Knicks and the Mavericks (far and away two of the top luxury tax payers) are expected to have much lower total team salaries next year. For instance, the Knicks will be shedding around $20M in salaries next year, meaning $20M less in the luxury tax pot. Whereas non-tax-paying owners could usually expect to receive over $3M in shared luxury tax revenues, this year that number will be closer to $1.4M. With that said, if making a couple of minor moves to get into the playoffs will only cost a couple of million dollars in luxury tax plus "only" $1.4M in lost shared revenues, Les will be much more likely than in years past to exceed the luxury tax threshold. Again, the additional team revenues generated from hosting playoff games will more than make up for the lost shared revenues.

I have seen a couple of posters state that they don't want to pay ticket prices to see the Rockets tank next year. If the team were to tank (which I don't think they will), the team would probably end up losing more in revenues than they would save in luxury tax. I'm sure that Daryl Morey and the Rockets' front office has considered this. Les Alexander, a successful businessman, sure as hell has.

So, with (1) the team needing only a little push to help get it into the playoffs (with the added revenues attendant thereto), (2) Brian Cook expected to be dumped on someone in order to lessen the luxury tax load, and (3) the luxury tax pot expected to be significantly lower than in years past, I can definitely see Les paying a little luxury tax if it means the Rockets could add a guy like Zaza Pachulia or someone else of that caliber.

The Rockets would likely get no higher than the 13th pick in next year's draft, even with its current roster. I don't think Les and Daryl view the fraction of one percent chance at a top 3 pick as worth it to not make the playoffs and reap the benefits of additional games pumping cash into Les's pockets.

If push comes to shove, Les pays the tax next year. Just my opinion.

3 people like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So far in this regard, Les has been all talk and no action.

But, he has not had a healthy roster yet...so......

I would say.....incomplete.

DD

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Honestly I think Morey will find a way to get under it, so I think the point is probably moot.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rockets are going to take a hit in tickets with no Yao or TMac playing for the 1st half of the season.

I think Les is pragmatic enough to decide 2 weeks before trade deadline whether to give the thumbs up.

It probably has to be a great reason to do it too. Don't think Les settles for playoff mediocrity even if it's forced upon his teams.

5. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

If we're letting McGradys contract expire, and he is able to come back at the first month of the regular season (of course without pain in his knee), we can still be a pretty good team. If Yao can come back at all star break, it would also be terrific. Things don't look too good though. :(

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is indubitably the first time in the history of Zaza Pachulia that the term caliber was also used in a positive connotation.

7. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Can we please lock this thread. Les said he is willing to pay the tax if we can get a good player that will make us go on a playoff run. weve talked about this already, he's said it verbally.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

One factor that makes it more likely:
    if both Yao and McGrady miss a large (if not total) portion of the season, insurance may be covering $10M to $30M. Pending Yao's decision, Les could go well over the lux tax ($12+M) without actually having to "pay" any of it.

On the other hand?

Les may want to just pocket those payroll cost savings and tread water rather than spend money in a bad economy chasing a pipedream.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agreed and depending what happens with TMAC contract and Battier Les might just bite the bullet like all of us fans pocket the extra dinero! However if we make schrud trades and get back in contention he might just make the moves that put him over expecting Yao to come back and be ready for playoff time. Either way with the insurance payoffs Les wont lose a cent!

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

True, but Les said this a few weeks ago, when (A) Yao's injury status was "8-12 weeks" and he was deemed a no-brainer to be ready for training camp in October, (B) the team expected to retain Ron Artest and (C) the Rockets had their full MLE to work with in free agency. Since then, the Rockets' team picture has completely changed. Hence, the need to revisit this issue.

Great catch. I actually meant to mention that in the OP but forgot before clicking. The insurance payments (from a purely financial--not competitive--standpoint only) are essentially a windfall for Les. The salary cap does not allow him to spend much more money on team salary, imposing an artificial ceiling (subject to certain small exceptions). Meanwhile, he is reaping the benefits of not having to write paychecks to Yao and T-Mac for most of the year. That financial windfall is more than enough to allow Les to go into luxury tax territory.

From a financial standpoint, dipping into the luxury tax territory in order to get your team from a 6-seed to a 5-seed is oftentimes "not worth it" to the team owner. However, there is a big difference between that sort of situation (which is essentially the situation in which the Rockets found themselves the past couple of seasons) and one in which paying a little tax could be the difference between being just barely out of the playoffs and getting the 8-seed. Making the playoffs provides a good deal of extra revenue.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If ever there was a time for Les to keep his word now is that time!!! They wouldn't pay Gortat enough money says to me that Les is being careful about spending.[/SIZE]
    The fact is Morey still needs two moves- A sharp shooting Two Guard and a backup Center,
    If we are going to get that special guard Les needs to tell Morey go for it!!! :p

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I believe Morey and/or Les stated in the past that he'll be willing to go into the luxury tax land if it meant getting a top player that would put them over the top.

13. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Nice and all for the fans to say but I realistically wouldn't pay. I have no problem with owners not wanting to pay the tax. I wouldn't spend an extra $6 million in this case to pick up some backup center and improve to 35-40 wins.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

With Yao and T-Mac out most of the season, most people won't go to the games anyway. The corporate season pass ticket holders will not show up at all, there will be an even bigger loss at the concession stands. They don't care if the Rockets are losing but trying hard. They came to see a superstar. If we can get a potential superstar from next year's draft, they will come and see that also.

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

im pretty sure signing up Artest would put us over the top.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If I was Les I'd tell Morey to sell Battier off to a contender (to Portland for Outlaw?) and bring back less salary.

Then take a "let's look and see" approach to the season. Try and make some moves to bring in players on 'good contracts' (ie - 2010 expirings) - see what happens and make trades to strengthen us for 2010.

I think trying to win games this year is very important for 2010 - particularly when we're a "hustle" based roster - if players learn not to try then that's really one of our best weapons gone. So do something to keep us marginally competitive - a max free agent from next years class is MUCH better than a top 5 draft pick.

17. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

He has said it before that He is willing to pay to get a player that could be the difference. The problem now is will He do it this year? He practically knows that his stars are out and getting a star player now might not net the team the championship this year. Will He approve a move for the future or wait until He gets his stars on court again?

18. sbyang

sbyang Member

He certainly shouldn't pay the tax now. No one knows how this team is going to look next season so why put yourself into tax range now only to scramble to get out later. Morey paid 2.5 million + rookie salary for Taylor next season so he probably thinks Taylor can give us most of what Wafer did.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Good point. It's a good thing that the Rockets implemented their heavy season ticket renewal push during last season's playoffs. But the need to bring fans back to Toyota Center may be that factor that gets Les to pony up a few million in luxury tax. If there's one thing about Houston, they show up for the playoffs.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice thread, Bima. I think you might be right. The Rockets have been working hard to build fan enthusiasm (the Red Rowdies, for example, have been terrific) and to build their season ticket base. If they fall out of the playoffs next season, but come close to making it, the most likely scenario, it's going to hurt Les where he lives, his pocketbook. As you point out so well, if a couple of minor moves can push us into the 8th spot, it's in his interest to make those moves.

While I still have hopes for a big move to make us more competitive, I don't see a big gamble coming, ala CD and Rudy, god bless 'em. It will be a move or moves that will clearly help us this season and in the future. The Rockets management is just too smart to fall into that trap again, where you roll the dice and hope lightening strikes. Not with your two best players out, possibly for the whole season, possibly longer (Yao) or forever (Yao retires, McGrady gone, which I've been expecting and still expect by the deadline, if not sooner).

A lot of food for thought, which is why you're one of my favorite guys around here.